Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Satellite radio

BruceEdwards

Corvette
1988 metallic blue coupe
Anyone have advice on installing after-market XM (portable) radio on an '88 coupe? The problem is the magnetic antenna base ... that's right won't stick to the fiberglass body. Has anyone installed the same or similar system?
;help
Thanks,
Bruce
Vt. Vette

did you try maybe putting it in the center of the rear cargo area maybe with the retractable cover closed and on top of that... my father had his in the rear window of his last beemer and it worked pretty good from what i remember

I use a magnet on the inside of the back glass and put the sat antenna on the outside. It doesn't move around, looks ok and seens to work fine.

Good luck

father & son

vette-02.jpg
used 3M molding tape to attach to top of rear hatch. You can easly remove, if needed ,with fish line .
interiortempest-01.jpg

The 3rd brake light /hatch hinge utilises a metal plate any room there? They also sell a grounding plane for the rear gas door that Ham Radio operators use. Eckler's USED to sell it dont know if they still do.

Btw, Doug thanks for posting those pics. I was considering buying that deep cup holder and didnt know if it would look good. Now I know!

Edited- Yes I like it
:D

i like the way that looks... i was just saying to my dad tonight how much i hate the bread box....

out of curiosity how hard was it to remove it.. i know things like that can be a real pain in the tukas sometimes!! ive never looked at it to see

Ironicly, I just had mine out today..the replacement glove box anyway...to wire the new LED flasher for the led tail lights(darn ground wire!). Brought back memories!
You will have to remove the dash cap/pad to access the 4 bolts(or were they rivets?) on 4 brackets rivets holding it in. Which isnt all that hard...just dont break dash ($400!). Its basicly a white styrofoam covered in vinyl.
Pics of it here so you can see how dash pad is held inhttp://corvette1984.freewebtools.com/DIRECTORIES/REPAIRS/DashPadRemovalTips/dash.html

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom