Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Scan Equipment Neccessary?

C

CAJUN C4

Is it worth while investing in Scanning Equipment to help when Trouble Codes Come On? What is the best out there for the money?

If its just for trouble codes I would say no. If you are doing other mods then maybe. The factory computers (ECM, BCM, and ABS) have ways to show the codes that may be there. By jumpering the pins of the ALDC you can get to the different computers. The one for the BCM is realy neat, one section of the troubleshooting will test most of the different relays in the car by cycling them on and off. I guess it really depends on how much you want to know.

There are several scan tools/software out there WinALDL, Auto Xray, Datamaster, even the cheap scanner you can buy at most auto parts stores. Personnally I use EASE. Ive tried some of the others, but they all have a learning curve. EASE will tell you just about everything that there is to know about the car. A GM technician friend of mine says that it is as good if not better than the GM TECH 1 computer at the dealership. There are some things that have to be done with the TECH 1, like reprogramming a new BCM for proper mileage and some things that deal with the ABS computer, but other than that he uses EASE. (Especially doing side jobs from his garage.)

:w

Yes, Trouble code if set. Can I retrieve them without a scan tool?
I have a 96' LT4.Just educating myself just in case of futer problems.

Not actually sure about the '96. I do know GM went to OBD2 for the '96, which has more pins on the ALDC connector. I found the information on which pins to jumper in my factory service manual. Maybe someone with a '96 can help out. It may be in the '96 manual if you have one.

I'll check my Manuals...Just wanted to know how to self diagnose incase anything went wrong.

Thanx

All '96 model cars delivered in the US were required to have OBDII by law. To my knowledge, there is no way to short pins and watch the light blink on an OBDII car, they all require a scanner of some kind to be connected.

Earlier cars only need pins shorted in the ALCL to blink the service engine light to retrieve code.

Good luck,

you can short the pins on '96 cars and you may get lucky... basically, you can get to some of the codes, but not all of them. you can have a check engine light on, short the pins, and it will sometimes show up as no codes set.

So... to do it 'right' you need a scan tool... 1996 is the only year I know of that requires one :(

CAJUN C4 said:
I'll check my Manuals...Just wanted to know how to self diagnose incase anything went wrong.

Thanx

It is in there. You will jump two pins on the connector and there is a procedure to have the computer display code information on the spedometer using the trip computer & gauge buttons on the dash.

I haven't done it myself yet becasue I have been considering an AutoXray anyway so that I can use it on our other cars.

Vettelt193 said:
you can short the pins on '96 cars and you may get lucky... basically, you can get to some of the codes, but not all of them. you can have a check engine light on, short the pins, and it will sometimes show up as no codes set.

So... to do it 'right' you need a scan tool... 1996 is the only year I know of that requires one :(

I didn't see your reply before I wrote mine. Is this true even when following the procedure in the service manual? It seemed pretty comprehensive when I was reading through it.

Hrtbeat1 said:
If its just for trouble codes I would say no. If you are doing other mods then maybe. The factory computers (ECM, BCM, and ABS) have ways to show the codes that may be there. By jumpering the pins of the ALDC you can get to the different computers. The one for the BCM is realy neat, one section of the troubleshooting will test most of the different relays in the car by cycling them on and off. I guess it really depends on how much you want to know.

There are several scan tools/software out there WinALDL, Auto Xray, Datamaster, even the cheap scanner you can buy at most auto parts stores. Personnally I use EASE. Ive tried some of the others, but they all have a learning curve. EASE will tell you just about everything that there is to know about the car. A GM technician friend of mine says that it is as good if not better than the GM TECH 1 computer at the dealership. There are some things that have to be done with the TECH 1, like reprogramming a new BCM for proper mileage and some things that deal with the ABS computer, but other than that he uses EASE. (Especially doing side jobs from his garage.)

Gerald, where did you get EASE? PC based I assume. Cost? Is it downloadable? What type of connector does it take? (at the computer)

Edit: I did a search and found all the answers. Here is where you can find them http://www.obd2.com/

toms94 said:
Gerald, where did you get EASE? PC based I assume. Cost? Is it downloadable? What type of connector does it take? (at the computer)

Edit: I did a search and found all the answers. Here is where you can find them http://www.obd2.com/

YEP thats where I got mine. The connector for the computer side is a DB-9 serial. Its more involved than just software, there is hardware also (the translator box .... GM format to PC based.) The software is part of the package, rather large (2 disks) so I don't think you would want to download it.

jrp said:
I didn't see your reply before I wrote mine. Is this true even when following the procedure in the service manual? It seemed pretty comprehensive when I was reading through it.

Unless someone knows something I don't...

I tried it on mine, and it came out clean BUT the check engine light is on.

From what I found out, GM left the pin jump codes in from the late OBD1 cars, but didn't add in all the new OBDII required codes into the dashboard reader. so, you can get to all the basic codes that were available on a 1995 Corvette, but you can't get to any new ones that were added for 1996. From what I also learned, they discontinued some of the 1995 codes and replaced them with new ones... you can't get to them either.

I have no 'hard' documentation on this, just what I know from internet searching and personal experience.

I don't know if they still do it or not, but Autozone scanned my '96 Camaro for free.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom