Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Scan tools, which one is good?...

96Holly

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green Coupe
I am interested in purchasing a good scan tool for my '96 LT4 (OBDII). I am really interested in learning more on how to tune my engine as well as diognose any problems. This tool seems to be a good purchase to make.

I have seen some that you can plug in and record information while you are driving and scan while you idle....

What are some options, prices and features on the various manufactures out there?

Well considering you stated you want to tune your engine, what do you mean by that? changing the actual program in the PCM? or just adjusting the sensors to be closer to spec.

If you are going to change the program, I would suggest LT1Edit http://www.lt1.net/editor/Lt1edit.htm . I myself have never used it but most guys that have are happy with it,

If you just want a scanner of sorts to record data then I would suggest EASE www.obd2.com I have used my EASE program for 2 years. granted I don't have an OBD2 car (Ihave their OBD1 package) I find it very useful

Both of the above systems will require a laptop

You can also go to www.actron.com and purchase the OBDII generic scanner.

It is an awesome tool and will let you read the full data list of the engine operations of virtually any car from 1996 to present. It will allow you to clear codes, but you can't reprogram anything.

It is a small self contained unit with a nice LCD screen that gives a wide range of date from codes, to instant data, and even lets you play and record data if you are looking for a specific problem.

Thanks for the replies...

Let me clear up what I meant by "tuning". I would like to monitor any issues that I may have and track down the problem with the scanner. From what I understand the system on the LT4 is not reprogrammable.

Thanks for the repsonses. I will look into the cost of these units. Did you purchase directly from the mfg?

This is the one I use for OBDII.

OBDII scanner

This is a really nice piece. You can see a stream of data, record data at the trigger of a check engine light, clear codes, monitor key issues like O2 Pre and post cast voltage, injector pulse, MAP mv, etc. etc. It comes with a small manual to study and learn how it works. It is EASY to use. You can plug it into virtually any 1996 and newer car and instantly read out the OBDII systems, clear codes, etc.

I first bougth the Actron 9110 from a local store with a 1984-1995 GM cartridge and cable. They made a blunder back then and put in writing that after purchasing this unit you would never need to buy another since they thought it would read OBDII. When they realized they goofed, they made the one I have listed here available to existing customers for $200. So, I now have both tools. The 9110 is awesome for reading and checking my 90 vette, 95 dually, etc. The one seen here plugs into Nikki's C5, my Grand Am with the 1997 engine/brain transplant, and just last weekend, I used it to check out my nephews 1996 Altima, and clear some trouble codes.

You can contact and purchase direct from Actron on that website.

km9615.jpg

Chris,

Will that scanner also scan imports as well?

Considering that it costs at least $70 around here to plug up a car at a shop, $200 is a steal!

So you mean that if you repair what the issue is, you still have to clear the code and that the code will not automatically turn itself off?

I was told that some car companies have their cars trigger a "check engine" light even if there is nothing wrong with the car just so the consumer has to bring it back (preferably to the dealer). Any opinions on that???

BullWinkle said:
Chris,

Will that scanner also scan imports as well?

Considering that it costs at least $70 around here to plug up a car at a shop, $200 is a steal!

So you mean that if you repair what the issue is, you still have to clear the code and that the code will not automatically turn itself off?

I was told that some car companies have their cars trigger a "check engine" light even if there is nothing wrong with the car just so the consumer has to bring it back (preferably to the dealer). Any opinions on that???

Edmond,

This scanner will do virtually any car (import or domestic) from 1996 to 2002. The OBDII is a international emissions/diagnostic standard. The same plug under the dash of a 2000 Corvette is the same plug under a 2000 Maxima.

The code remains even if the part has been repaired. However, if it does not see the fault after so many (pre set limit) restarts, it will clear the light.

This tool lets you clear the code anytime you want, it also lets you see if the code is simply from a loose gas cap, or from a failing O2 sensor. With the scanner, you can drive down the road and monitor the engine temp, volts, speed, air intake temp, throttle position, idle air motor, map voltage, crank triggers, cam triggers, etc. etc., or just focus on one thing. It will tell you when the computer has requested the fans on and off, and even the a/c system cycles.

It does not scan anti-lock brakes, air bags, and body computers.

It will scan basic transmission codes and problems on fully electric automatic transmission, it will tell you when you have gone into lock up, etc.

This scanner is actually about $400 outright, but it is $200 if you first buy the 9010 which is also about $200 after the unit plus the cartridge/cable system. So, it is cheaper to buy both. However, I don't know if they are still doing that deal.

Very nice...

I was looking at the KM 9615 model. I have a number of cars that I could scan (my wifes toyota and my Jeep). I would feel that this would be a very usefull tool to use.

Does anyone else outhere use something different??

Thanks!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom