Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Scraping noise from rear diff area

C

Craig Conner

Well it is time to ask the experts to come to my rescue. The Vette is in the shop for its second oil change as well as repair of a couple of nagging issues. Pertinent background: VIN 11842, C6 Auto, Stock tires and wheels, Mileage 21,000. No burn-outs, well just two – I swear - tires are just too expensive!

We just returned from our second coast to coast trip, with an intermediate stop, on the way to the east coast, in Indiana. While in Indiana my wife complained of a “scraping noise” coming from the rear of the car when backing out of the motel parking space. With my hearing loss I simply could not hear it. As the trip progressed I finally did hear it and it sounds exactly like a rear tire scraping an inner fender. From the drivers seat it seemed to me it would change sides, sometimes left, when turning left, sometimes right, when turning right. The noise occurs only when going slow, forward or reverse (about walking speed).

Before I took it to the local dealer, I had my son walk around it as I turned both right and left. It was easily duplicated and loud enough for both of us to hear readily. He felt the noise was coming from the exact center of the car – rear differential. Took it to the dealer, put the service writer (long time friend, Seth) in the passenger seat, and of course we could not duplicate. Side bar – got Seth car sick from all the circles we made, fortunately, he sucked it up and we made it back to the dealership.

Left the car overnight and fortunately the noise duplicated on the first try, but only when the car was cold, but at least it duplicated! The consensus was the same my son had made, rear differential. Seth and his Corvette technician were unable to duplicate the noise when the car was fully warmed up. The plan as of now is to drain and replace diff fluid and friction modifier. From the sound that is made, I won’t be surprised if they find metal.

Any ideas? Limited Slip / Locking differentials are not my strong suit.

To make long post even longer, I will now have to buy two front tires. During the course of an approximately 7000 mile of the trip, probably around the last 3500 miles, a “whirring” noise began to become noticeable from the front tires, most pronounced at 45 mph and upon braking. Bottom line, both tires have noticeable cupping on the inside. BUMMER! From day one the steering wheel has always been cocked about 3 minutes to 12 and I let it go, so I guess it is my fault for not having the alignment checked.

Our newest C6 (her's with 50 miles so far) is cocked about 4 minutes after 12 and I guarantee it is getting an alignment ASAP. Remember, you have 7500 miles to get an alignment under warranty. Seth will try to get GM and Goodyear to participate as I have bought two C6’s this year, but I am not holding my breath.

After these problems are resolved I will give you ‘all a blow-by-blow of the problems and pleasures encountered in the first 21K miles. Read it only if you like LONG stories.

BTW, I still love my C6.

Craig

Good post-- I have the same noise under WOT and strong launches.-- Let me knoe if the fix works

Problem Solved!?

Dealer changed diff oil and friction modifier per repair manual. No WOT for 300 miles according to manual or damage to ring and pinion may occur.

We will see........

Craig

Hi Craig,

I've experienced something similar. When I first got my C6, I'd sometimes hear a faint scrape sound from the rear of the car while engaging reverse gear. It seemed most evident through a particular RPM range, so I'd chalked it up to exhaust rattling at some resonant frequency. Now, 2 months and 1200 miles later, I don't recall hearing it anymore. But then again I'm probably engaging reverse differently than before. I'll keep an ear out for it.

Do let us know the outcome after your rear diff service.

Thanks,
Rahul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom