Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seat Cover Installation

D

dale3in98

Hi,

Just purchased new seat covers, springs, and foam for my 59 Corvette. I planned on having someone put the seats together for me, but have decided to tackle the job myself. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions, hints, ideas, or instructions on installing the components.

Don't even START until you get the video from Al Knoch ( http://www.alknochinteriors.com ); the C1 seats, especially the seat backs, are very tedious to get right so their contour matches well with the openings in the top compartment lid. You'll need extra cotton batting, as you'll have to do quite a bit of "stuffing" in the rear upper areas to get the right contour without wrinkles or flat spots. I did mine five years ago (with help from a professional trimmer); if I had it to do over again, I'd just ship the frames to Al Knoch and let them do it, and marvel at the quality of workmanship when I got them back.

pubimage.asp

Yours sure look great John. I feel that you are right about having Al Knock do it. Some headaches just aren't worth the money you save.

Tom

Edge Trim Wire

A couple of years ago I was at a Tech session where saets were recovered. Following are my notes.

I would highly recommend taking photos of the old seats as you take them apart so you will have a record of what and where things were attached. Also be careful of the pieces of burlap that has fine wire woven through it as it does not come with the kit as stated. There is no one that makes them yet. If you do need to make new ones the wire is #18 gauge/0.041 piano wire.
After the seats are apart have them dipped/sand blasted and painted before recovering. You also have time to get your photos developed and gather any other pieces you might need.
Before you start buy a box of Hog-rings as you will use more then what is supplied. The better Hog-ring Pliers to work with appear to have the end at a 45 degree angle and spring loaded. The cheap ones are fine for a few Hog-rings but to do your seats you will be glad you got a better pair.
You should have a work table that is covered with a blanket or soft carpet so you will not scratch the seat cover as it is moved around.
Make sure that all wires are bent back in themselves so as to not puncture any holes. A good tip was to use a heavy weed trimmer line, (.105 - .130) for around the edge of the Covers instead of the wire because you can do it easily in one piece, follows the shape, and it is never seen.
Recovering your own seats is a do-able job if you are handy but it takes at least two people. The other not being a family member. It took about 2 ½ hours to do one seat bottom and they have done some before.

Thanks for the advice Bish. Sending them out is looking better all the time. :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom