Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Seat covers

JOHNNYB

Corvette
1989 DARK MET. BLUE COUPE
Hi, wondering if anyone ever changed there own covers and what kind of task it is. 1989 coupe standard seats

I tried slip-on covers and that was a joke...never stayed in place and you slipped around in the seat until they tore or came off. Waste of money.

Real cover kits can be expensive. If you have leather now, simulated leather recover is an affordable option and you might enjoy it more. After near 20 years with sport leather in the desert SW, and 3rd degree burns on my backside, no more...
I found an upholstry guy and went to the fabric shop and picked out some good quality UV resistant marine grade faux-leather that was soft but durable,. He then removed the old leather, recovered and replaced foam where needed.All sewn like factory. Frames were repaired as needed. We used a heavier grade material over the highest wear areas. Mine were '09 ZR-1 two tone black/graphite. The material was under $300 and labor was $350. I ended up with exactly what I wanted. It was only a 2-3 day process.
Leather is for looking at, not living in.

Boomdriver!
Could you post or send a couple of pics? I hadnt thought about a marine grade material.... GREAT idea, I had bee thinking about going to fabric since that was a option.

CHarlie

I ordered a 7 piece set of simulated leather covers (uppers, lowers, shift boot, console cover and e brake pad) from Ebay. A place called Outlaw corvette outfitters for $235. Instructions and his cell number accompanied my order, which made it very easy to complete, using the existing spring rods. Had to buy hog rings and a hog ring pliers, he even included tips on replacing any of the worn away or crushed foam. Very happy with the results, I got two tone black/tan in my '86. I just did a quick search and found that he is not a registered user of ebay anymore, but I will look for his number when I make way to the garage. Not a hard job at all, and It looks great!

I'll see if I can get some pics soon....my cell ph cam is junk right now...
I am now trying to decide how to "do" the rest of the interior. I want to keep the 2-tone color scheme, with the black against the graphite color. I'm thinking black door panels with graphite/gray carpet up front,. black rear sides and graphite cargo area bottom. Exterior re-paint is the end goal.

I picked the marine grade vinyl because it had a higher UV rating. More able to resist the suns effects. Its just as soft as common automotive grade vinyls. I was in Az at the time, so sunlite was a huge consideration. I'll try to get someone to snap a cpl pics and post them thru the web.

I'll see if I can get some pics soon....my cell ph cam is junk right now...
I am now trying to decide how to "do" the rest of the interior. I want to keep the 2-tone color scheme, with the black against the graphite color. I'm thinking black door panels with graphite/gray carpet up front,. black rear sides and graphite cargo area bottom. Exterior re-paint is the end goal.

I picked the marine grade vinyl because it had a higher UV rating. More able to resist the suns effects. Its just as soft as common automotive grade vinyls. I was in Az at the time, so sunlite was a huge consideration. I'll try to get someone to snap a cpl pics and post them thru the web.

SWEET, LIKE TO SEE THEM :beer

Ebay has some great deals on new upholstery. I did mine last fall with leather and they look like new. It helps to get good hog rings and pliers. Foam Factory has the right ones. They also have padding to fill in where your foam is worn out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom