Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Seat of the Pants" performance boost

Richie.I

Corvette
2003 Mill.Yellow Z06
Hello to all,

I am new to this board and I would like to ask your opinions on this new performance kit. I just bought the twin air intake with a smooth flow air coupler and a power duct. I just installed it and everything looks great. Only one problem...seems like there is a hesitation at the beginning of every gear now before it actually catches and goes like a rape ape. It is almost like it is now gulping too much air and not enough gas at first. The only thing I didnt get was the Mass Air flow Sensor with the whole kit. Does anyone else have or deal with this kind of a problem? By the way this is on a 2003 Z06! Thanks to all who can help!

Rich

1st - Welcome to the :CAC

I have a twin air intake and smooth flow air coupler on mine with no problems, she runs great! :lou

What is the power duct? ;shrug

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Hi, Rich! First of all, welcome to the :CAC

We're glad to have you here! Regarding your post, I found this portion of it most interesting:

...It is almost like it is now gulping too much air and not enough gas at first. The only thing I didnt get was the Mass Air flow Sensor with the whole kit. Does anyone else have or deal with this kind of a problem? By the way this is on a 2003 Z06! Thanks to all who can help!

Rich

Does this mean you are still using the factory MAF sensor? I'm wondering if the factory Mass Air Flow sensor has a different setting than the one which would come with the kit would have. Are you getting any kind of warning messages, or have you found you are getting any ususal Codes?

:w
-Patrick

Thanks for the reply Patrick & Thanks to 6 shooter!

Patrick, I still have the factory Mass-Air flow sensor on the car. It is not getting any codes or warnings. Ya think you would though! Dont get me wrong, the car runs great except for that initial start of each gear for a second. Lets just say if you were to start off the line and full-throttle it, it runs like a raped-ape all the way to 6000..shift to 2nd......quick hesitation like i said and then it catches and goes great again.........3rd gear, same stuff. The only thing missing from this whole combo was the mass air flow sensor which I didnt buy. Maybe I should try this before I take everything back off and start with the factory stuff. I know it didnt do this before the change. I just cant believe this might be because of the Air-Flow sensor. I got all the stuff from West coast corvette. I called them and they say they havent had no-one with this problem, but you never know who to trust. This is driving me nuts trying to figure this out. Any suggestions? Sorry for the delayed response but I was away for a few days and just got the chance to get back on here. I appreciate the Welcome and glad to chat with you guys!

Thanks...Rich

Hey Rich,

Welcome to CAC. I have a pretty good book called Corvette C5 Performance Projects. It is from Motorbooks Workshop, written by Richard Newton. On page 28 it talks about the type of air filter you have and says that there is a "tremendous amount of turbulence right at the juncture" It states that the down side to this is less air into the plenum and not what you are describing, but it maybe food for thought. I too had considered buying one of those with the chrome y tube. Now I am considering one of the SLP covers I have heard good things about them mostly from people on this site. I hope this helps and God Bless
Steve

Rich,

Any update on this?

Remo:cool

I just installed it and everything looks great. Only one problem...seems like there is a hesitation at the beginning of every gear now before it actually catches and goes like a rape ape.

Rich
First you may need to drive it 50-100 miles for the PCM (computer) to do a relearn on it. If you are still having problems after the computer has learned the new flow, you should take it in for a dyno tune to improve the drivability. You don't need a MAF. The stock MAF supports up to 650hp.
If you have another major mod. picked out to install soon, you might want to wait and get some tuning then. If you don't know of a shop with a dyno and tuning capability, post your location and ask for a recommendation. You will get alot of responses.

Hey Rich,

Welcome to CAC. I have a pretty good book called Corvette C5 Performance Projects. It is from Motorbooks Workshop, written by Richard Newton. On page 28 it talks about the type of air filter you have and says that there is a "tremendous amount of turbulence right at the juncture" It states that the down side to this is less air into the plenum and not what you are describing, but it maybe food for thought. I too had considered buying one of those with the chrome y tube. Now I am considering one of the SLP covers I have heard good things about them mostly from people on this site. I hope this helps and God Bless
Steve

Hi Guys -

I can't speak to turbulence, but the system outflows a modded Z06 airbox lid, and here is how I know.

When a member of corvetteforum said he was using a flow bench to test the flow of CAI setups, I sent him a brand new twin-ram to test -

Here is the result of that test - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showpost.php?p=1556941657&postcount=64I am in the midst of swapping out my halltech trap for the TRAP so that the trap can be flow tested.

best regards -

mqqn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom