Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seat recline handle problem...

rfh928

Corvette
1998 Silver Coupe, Black Interior, 6-speed manual
Hi...

The small plastic L-shaped seat recline handle on the driver's side of my 1998 Corvette kept coming off when I tried to adjust the seatback. Figured that it was worn...so ordered another one from the dealer...only $10 so not a big deal.

But...the new one isn't any better. I push it on until the clip locks in place, or at least I think it's locking in...but the first time I try to use it, same thing happens...just comes off in my hand.

Has anyone had the same issue, and resolved it? Is it perhaps the post that comes out of the side of the seat, into which the handle fits, that is too worn to allow it to sit on there properly? If so, how difficult is this to replace?

Thanks in advance!

Robert

I've not had the same issue with my 98 Robert, but give it time and other C5 owners will undoubtedly check in on your issue.

BTW - welcome to the :CAC

:wJane Ann

I had the same problem in my '04. I actually bought some brushed aluminum handles to replace the stock black. In my case I actually pushed the adjustment arm into the seat a bit, so my handle can't latch now. I've just been too lazy to pull the seat and fix it.

I just put new covers on my '99 seats, and while they were out I fixed the sloppy track (rocking seat issue), and had the same trouble while assembling the driver seat. As mentioned above, the post had actually gotten pushed back into the seat. I just pulled the post out with a pair of vice grips, and it took care of it.

My driver side handle comes off about once a year

I simply replace it and go. I tried adding more tension to the spring clip but it comes off when it feels like it. NBD.

If you look at the design of the handle and how it is held on, fixing the problem is as simple as adding more tension to the locking spring. Look at these pictures:

seat_remove_4.jpg

seat_remove_5.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent pictures AJ! I was pretty sure of the problem, but didn't have any way to explain it. You got it done with two pictures. :thumb A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Thanks Tom. I notice that the new format automatically resizes the pictures. They are actually 1024x768. I'm with you, pictures are what drive the information I post. Otherwise, I would be one wordy little turd!

I unfortunately just had this problem today while I was cleaning my seats on my 04. The handle came off while I was adjusting the seat and though I can snap it back on the shaft stem, the handle is not gripping the shaft stem enough to move the stem and recline the seat. I had to use a pair of pliers to get the seat back to where I needed it to be.

Junkman, how do you add more tension to the locking spring?

Thanks
:beer

First off, the spring's only purpose is to hold the handle onto the stem, not to grab the stem and assist with rotating it. If the handle will not stay on the stem, you can remove that spring and squeeze it together to add more tension to it.

If you look closely at the pictures, you will see that the handle area that goes onto the stem is grooved. It is those grooves that cause the handle to grip. If your grooves are stripped (be them on the handle or the stem), then your handle will not grab the stem and turn it.

Hopefully, it is just the handle that is stripped. That's a cheap fix from a salvage yard.

Thanks for your quick reply Junkman. I'll try a new handle.

:beer

Pictures from my original post restored per request.

Final Solution...

Hi...it's been so long since I originally posted it, that I'd long since forgotten about it. I did try to adjust the spring tension, but as mentioned in one of the replies, it was the shaft that was too worn to grab it properly. So I bought a new one from the dealer - about $60 Can as it was tied into the cable mechanism from the seat. At least it fixed the problem & since I rarely adjust the seatback angle, hopefully last as long as the car now...or until I can afford to trade the C5 in for a used C7 half a decade or so from now :) Anyway thanks to everyone who replied.

Whoa! Next time look at Parts Taxi or Corvette Recycling! Sixty smackers is smoking crack prices! :ugh

Hi...thanks for the tip! The only problem for us in Canada is the high shipping costs to here - it doesn't actually cost that much more than within the US, but sellers tend to charge us a lot more. I just got a fuel line from a used place in Salt Lake City, it was $45 but had to pay another $30 to ship it up here. Had no choice as GM stupidly discontinued this pretty important part, for the C5. I think they must realize that most Corvettes are never scrapped.

Wow. No love for our brothers up north? UPS must have a grudge against you guys! lol!

Yeah, tell me about it. Not just them, but it's frustrating with our dollars pretty well close to par for several years now, and consumer goods sometimes costing up to 50% more here for the exact same item. A few years ago, people started realizing that they could buy a car in the US and have it shipped here...saving many thousands of $$$ in the process. This was mostly for imports...domestic prices were pretty close - the good thing is that this forced the import co's to lower their Canadian prices accordingly. Sometimes you win...sometimes you don't...:)

Thanks AJ for reposting those pictures! :thumb

Anytime Tom, always glas to help out when I can.
tiphat.gif

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom