Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seats

L

lnirenberg

Getting older sucks. I drive my car when there is no snow on the ground, a good solid 7 months a year, 5-6000 miles. As winter approaches, boy does my back and butt ache. I was considering rebuilding the stock seats this off season even though they are presentable if not perfect--foam, covers etc.--but I have a feeling the aches come with this vintage seat regardless of condition. Anyone out there put later model 79-82 shark seats in earlier sharks? When you totally rebuild the original seats do you improve the comfort levels?

here's mine!

seatbelts-01.jpg

Your right getting older does suck.....Im now 47 and all I do to keep busy is putter around as my wife calls it. Try to stay busy after work until at least 8pm yard work (getting to cold now) working in the garage on the car...etc doesn't matter what seats you have (just kike the bed) aches and pains continue!!!!!!!!!! Just have to wait till spring and get in the car and forget about everything for a few!! Or sneak it out on a dry day in the winter when things really suck...but if you do your seats and they help let me know

Robin7TFour said:
here's mine!

More details. What year seats? Do you need to change the attaching hardware?Any details would help.

I redid the seats in my 70 last winter and it does make them more comfortable. But, it still feels like I am just setting on top of the seats. With the seats that Robin7t4 posted, you will set in the seats and they will hold you in place better. Those seats are out of 79 and later vettes. To me, they are more comfortable. I almost put a set of those in mine. I just couldn't come across the deal that I wanted.

Eddie 70 said:
I redid the seats in my 70 last winter and it does make them more comfortable. But, it still feels like I am just setting on top of the seats. With the seats that Robin7t4 posted, you will set in the seats and they will hold you in place better. Those seats are out of 79 and later vettes. To me, they are more comfortable. I almost put a set of those in mine. I just couldn't come across the deal that I wanted.
I notice your 70 has a Keisler 5 Speed. Did you use the stock shifter? What kind of rpm @ 75? More gears are on my wish list.

I replaced the C-3 seats in my 74 just as Robin has done and although I like the lateral support they provide, I feel like I'm sitting up too high in the car. I'm told that the floors can be cut away to reduce the seat height - - or that the cushions can be remounted on the older style frames but I'm more of a "unbolt the old stuff, bolt-in the new stuff" kinda Vette guy.

I guess it also depends how much of a "purist" you are with respect to originality.

I definitely like the look and feel of the newer style seats - -they were bought on E-Bay for about $300.

Regards-

CQRT said:
I replaced the C-3 seats in my 74 just as Robin has done and although I like the lateral support they provide, I feel like I'm sitting up too high in the car. I'm told that the floors can be cut away to reduce the seat height - - or that the cushions can be remounted on the older style frames but I'm more of a "unbolt the old stuff, bolt-in the new stuff" kinda Vette guy.

I guess it also depends how much of a "purist" you are with respect to originality.

I definitely like the look and feel of the newer style seats - -they were bought on E-Bay for about $300.

Regards-
At 5'9" I'm not exactly imposing, but I don't have a tilt wheel so are we talking squish your legs and hit your head on the roof high?

I have a 76 with original seats, and I too, feel like I'm sitting on "top" of the seats, I also like the looks of the newer seats, and also would like more details on the Keisler 5 speed..... ease of installation ect. tks

lnirenberg :
I think you'd be comfortable with the seat height - - in fact it might afford better visibility-- but I'm unsure whether the steering wheel might then feel too low absent a tilt/tele feature - - -wish you were closer, I'd say "come on over !"

82's in a 75, the front holes line up but you must redrill the back bolts and shim one side.that's all. i'll try to post a pic but it's not working for me lately.mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom