Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Secondary Port Solenoid Testing- Vac.Leaks

95ZR1#418

Corvette
95ZR1#418, 88Z51Coupe, 69L46Coupe
Hello All-

All power/ignition off. Checking solenoid mounted in car. I disconect the dual vac plug connector from the solenoid. I pull a vac. from the passenger side vac. nipple of the solenoid(this would connect to the vac. reservoir), there is a steady decrease in vac here wether the driver side nipple is plugged or not.

There is no way to pull a vacuum on the driver side nipple, is this faulty or because the solenoid is not activated? This nipple from the solenoid would connect to the actuator lines.

The actuators open and hold without vacuum leakage from the two's common connection (that which would plug into the solenoid).

Do I have a bad solenoid??

Thanks for your help.....

I have never had any codes set, as yet. The plenum is off & I have repeatedly rechecked every vacuum line combination. The pump to the plenum is good. The only leak I detect is on the solenoid, the connection which goes to the reservoir. This must have to hold vac when the solenoid is not activated. Finally, I got a reply from the ZR1net which agreed to this. I don't want to attach battery because everything is apart.

All check valves are good , I even bought new ones but am going to save them, car has only 3K miles on it. I decided to buy a new solenoid from Kurt White because it's the only possible leak I can find. I put black plastic NAPA Vac ties on everything also. I put some RTV on the reservoir connection & will do that to the new solenoid also(No - not enough to plug anything).

The plenum will be off for a few weeks yet, so I can continue to play with this. I would surely appreciate any additional comments.

One thing I find, is that when the vac gauge is connected directly to the solenoid(as above), I get a fast leak which jives to my pump recycling(on every 4 sec for a split second). But, when I go through the vac line from the reservoir which connects to the same solenoid connector I get a much slower leak. It dosen't make any sense , yet it is the only place I can find a leak.

So, I have to replace the solenoid right???

D-

I think your concern is correct.... I can't pull a vacuum on the actuator side of the solenoid which makes sence, but if I hold my finger over the filtered solenoid air inlet on the back of it , it will then pull a vac & hold which I think is O.K. & correct.

The reservoir side of the solenoid will not hold a vacuum, which I think it should & you agree to that. So I think it is indeed a faulty solenoid & I will replace it (test it before install to compare). This must be it. I'll let you know how it turns out but that won't be till Spring because I'm also waiting on the port job while it's apart.

Thanks for the help, tips, pointers and all........

Just pull the solenoid loose and test it with 12 v DC while applying vacuum. Often the solenoid leaks internaly when not activated as the little metallic arrow shaped ,valve sealer inside gets missformed by aging. I tried to re-shape the seal with paste without complete satisfaction, but in your country it would be no trouble getting a new one.

Just be sure to test the new one under hot plenum conditions before installing, they are known to fail intermittently when hot. Excercise the solenoid and make sure the magnet pulls metallic sealer each time, even when hot!!

Good luck...

95ZR1#418 said:
D-

I think your concern is correct.... I can't pull a vacuum on the actuator side of the solenoid which makes sence, but if I hold my finger over the filtered solenoid air inlet on the back of it , it will then pull a vac & hold which I think is O.K. & correct.

The reservoir side of the solenoid will not hold a vacuum, which I think it should & you agree to that. So I think it is indeed a faulty solenoid & I will replace it (test it before install to compare). This must be it. I'll let you know how it turns out but that won't be till Spring because I'm also waiting on the port job while it's apart.

Thanks for the help, tips, pointers and all........

Bob,

Based upon your description, is does sound like a faulty solenoid. This happened to me about a year ago. How did you make out?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom