Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Security / Door Locks Dilemma

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Ok, here is an interesting one for all you vette experts. We put new doors on our 84 vette because we got a smokin deal on a pair with good window motors, door panels and the like. Since I am the wiring "expert" (term used loosely) I did the intricate, delicate, surgury of splicing all the %$$*&! wires together. Since then, the door locks were the only thing that didn't work and I have been hesitant to tear back into it.

Well today, I was sitting in the car, trying to figure out why our radio stopped working and for the heck of it I hit the lock switches and they worked! At least for about four times. Also, when I hit the lock switch, the security light that normally always blinks on the console stayed on and when I hit the unlock it started blinking (like it is supposed to). Great but then all of a sudden the door switches stopped working and now I hear this click behind where the middle console area is; where the security light blinks. Is there a relay back there? Why would they work mysteriously for a few tries then quit? Apparently I did wire them up right and there is another problem. Any suggestions?

Also, another weird thing that happens. If I put the fuse in for the interior lights, the back hatch switch on the door panels WON'T work. If I remove the fuse they work. Weird - any suggestions on that one?

Ok I gotta ask

WHY did you CUT the wiring? It coulda been a plug & Play!

Now you got a KNOT of splices in the door?

Good LUCK!

Vig!

Well, unfortunately, the person that we bought the doors from had cut their wiring - and when we originally got the 84 it had been tampered with something fierce and not taken care of at all. It has been a long road to get it into its now condition so I didin't really want to use the "tampered" wiring that was already on the existing doors. They had tried to do a home-install on an alarm system and just wreaked havoc on the wiring. Speaker wiring was all over the place, splices put in weird places - you know things like that.

Actually, now the door lock switches have decided to work after I shut the car down and have worked all day so I am really excited!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom