Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Security...What else does it do?

C

CharlesBrown

After setting the security door lock on my '88, I know the horn will go off if someone trys to get in the car. Does this "system" do anything else i.e., disable the electrical or fuel system?

Hey Charles...I have only had my 88 for less than a year and I may be ignorant, but I did not know the car had an alarm. It is always in the garage (mainly for repairs, of course) and I have never driven it any place that I needed to lock it. I let my kid take it today and he called me and asked how to turn the alarm off...somehow his daughter set it off. Like I said I was unaware of the alarm and could not tell him how to shut it off. He finally disconnected the battery to stop it.
Do you know how to set it and how to turn it off? I do not have an owners manual.
I would appreciate your help...BTW...'Save The Wave"
HOGG

First off, I don't know if the verts are different from the coupes, but I've had my alarm go off when the top was down and the doors were locked and someone unlocked the door without the key (reaching into the car and unlocking from the inside).

In this case, the only way to turn off the alarm is to insert the key into the door and go through the unlocking motion, regardless if the door is actually locked or not.

Let me know if the coupes have the same action.

I don't know of any "kill switches" that are activated by the alarm.

That is the correct procedure for verts for sure. However what may not be clear from the previous post is that for me power locking the door will arm the alarm.

Now my bro's vert has some special key that fits into the side of the dash that is a kill switch. It looks totally stock, and we have not found anything on the car that looks different then mine, so I assume this is a factory item, although I could be wrong.

However for now the only thing that stops that alarm is unlocking the drivers door. Not even getting in and starting the car will do it. I have unplugged the horns because I didn't want to lose all the dash data. Sure enough the horn relay will stop, but as soon as either door opens the alarm will start again.

Computerized Alarms????

That is the correct procedure for verts for sure. However what may not be clear from the previous post is that for me power locking the door will arm the alarm.

Now my bro's vert has some special key that fits into the side of the dash that is a kill switch. It looks totally stock, and we have not found anything on the car that looks different then mine, so I assume this is a factory item, although I could be wrong.

However for now the only thing that stops that alarm is unlocking the drivers door. Not even getting in and starting the car will do it. I have unplugged the horns because I didn't want to lose all the dash data. Sure enough the horn relay will stop, but as soon as either door opens the alarm will start again.

And here I thought I was the only one with a "Hal" installation;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom