Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Seeking Brake pad recommendations

garyg

Corvette
1988 C4 coupe (original owner)
A number of parts suppliers are offering discounts on brake pads now. In reveiwing the selections for street driving the prices range from about $30 to $120+. The product descriptions outline the make up and applications but it is real user experiences that would be helpful.

All the mfrs say they have low dust and no noise...

Any C4 owners have any "street use" recommendations?

I installed Hawk HPS (High Performance Street) pads on the Vette. They have been noiseless and very low dust. They weren't "cheap", but not all that expensive. I got them off Ebay with the drilled and slotted rotors delivered to the house for about $280.

Hi, thanks...

Hawk HPS brake pads are the ones I am considering, I don't mind the sale price of about $85, I'm interested in the best all around pads for every day driving.

Hi, thanks...

Hawk HPS brake pads are the ones I am considering, I don't mind the sale price of about $85, I'm interested in the best all around pads for every day driving.

Are you interested in

a pad that has low dust ?

or stops with little peddle pressure ?

or do you autocross or drive hard often ?

I do not want to sacrifice stopping power, interested in no noise and low or no dust. The manufacturers claims all promise " the sun and the moon "
so it is difficult sifting through the PR.

I'm not interested in a cheap soft lining that will wear out in 10,000 miles nor one that will grind my rotors to paper thin.

The OEM linings have been great but at $ 170 for BRAKE PADS it is ridiculous ( there are no moving parts !!! ). It is the spread of claims and prices that make it hard to choose.

I do not race any longer, however I was a licensed SCCA competition driver racing an Alfa Romeo and several Austin Healeys.

You might want to check with ZIP Products, they have hawk and are on sale, don't know if they can beat the on line prices. They do help support our forum though.

so far I have used

PBR's ( a little too hard with reasonable pedal pressure)
These were good all around pads .

The super soft Bendix brakes. They work great on the street but had issues in the Smokey Mountains on a particularly brake heavy curvy section. Yes they wear fast but pedal effort is less in normal use.
Brake dust is terrible though.

I've read about Ceramic compound pads but have heard ( and been shown) that they are hard on the rotors.

So each pad has a compromise. If you dont mind replacing the rotors with the pads, then the ceramic may be a good choice.

I have a set of carbotech bobcat pads in J55 brakes on the front of my 87. I've never had any fade on the street, they just get more bite with a little heat in them. They aren't cold natured in the winter. They don't dust but a little. At the time they had a pad and rotor deal.

JS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom