Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

seems I have some drive train problems starting up: can I get some help or advice..

69vettester

Ive heard some about this problem but it never pertained to my car till now.
Heres whats happening..
Recently,when launching from start, I hear some noises from the rear end. Sometimes from the middle, like the differential clank sound Ive heard alot about. and sometimes a smaller clank sound from drivers rear wheel, It sounds like it happens when that halfshaft starts turning??
These sounds just happen for a fraction of a second on launch, then everything is fine through the rest of the power and gear up??
It only happens after Ive stopped the car and start up again.

Im on the road right now, My questions are..., How Worried should I be about this? If I Go easy on the car, Will the problem not quickly escalate to a major failure??

I can get the car jacked up to look around the diff area, but
I definitly need to drive a few more thousand miles before I can get in a position to start fixing the problem(s).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I know this is a tough one to pinpoint, but, Any Thoughts about whats going on here are appreciated!

Tom

Does it make the noise when you pull away from a stop sign if your going straight and if your turning either way.
If so it maybe your clutch pack, it does sounds nasty.

I'd take it to the first dealer you see and have them change the rearend fluid, if that doesn't take care of it I'd check the univerals.

I don't think you want to wait very long to find the cause, it could go from a pain in the a$$ to a huge problem fast.

Best of luck

Rick

Tom, that sounds like a universal joint. One way to tell is to put it in reverse, back it up while trying to brake torque a tad, then go back forward. This moves the joint back and forth in the housing where the bearings have failed and will produce the clunk.

Often a bad U joint will also cause a vibration, but not always.

You want to get underneath, and move the wheels and watch. You will see it jump in the joint where it is bad. You will have to look at the half shaft and drive shaft joints one at a time. When they get real bad, you can reach up with your hand and feel the shaft move.

U-joints make a metalic kind of clunk. A thuding kind of clunk could simply be coming from the diff mount bushing being worn and letting the diff move up and down.

Yes, it could be the diff itself, and would not hurt to have the fluid changed if you have never done so and make sure you install the G.M. posi fluid additive.

Good luck!

Rick,
It seems to do it starting straight as well as with the wheel turned?? Sometimes it doesnt do it at all? Plus Im real focused on the sound, I know this car so well! somebody else may not even notice it.
Thanks for the feedback, I understand what your saying with the clutches and the limited slip additive. I may whip into the dealer for a change and see what happens.
Tom

OK Chris,
Im going out and check those things out..Ill let you know what I find.
Tom

He hasn't replied for 3 hours...

...what do you think he found?

I hope it was bad U-joints.
Sil

Extra reading material

Tom,

Here is a thread you might NOT want to read.. :( I hope it doesn't go this far for you.. Good Luck my friend ;)

Rear End Noise

yes, there are worn ujoint bearings..yikes..

Hi all,
Chris, Ok yes ,at least The driverside ujoint has worn bearings, I can see at least one of the posts wiggle when I rock the wheel! Im going to replace all 4 of the halfshaft ujoints and not do the 2 driveshaft ones till later.
It looks straightforward removing the halfshafts, then Ill take them in to have the ujoints pressed in. Am I missing something..is it as easy as it looks. Whats the part number, will I have trouble getting spicers at a local parts half. Theres a Chevy dealer here in cheyenne that knows corvettes, Ill see if they wont do the fluid and additive without a big wait period? Also 2 cans of the additive is usually better than 1 if I remember right, should I tell them to put in 2 cans?

Thanks for the help, whew..I think I better not risk anymore miles without doing this while I have the chance here at my girlfriends in Cheyenne!

Tom

When you mentioned that the noise was coming from the wheel area that is what my car was doing.It turned out to be a worn spindle flange.It would only make the noise on take off when initial torque was applied,or when torque was reapplied after letting off the throttle.It took quite a while to find this problem.The GM shop manual however descibed it perfectly and sure enough that was the problem.Hope this might help you.Happy Motoring:w

ujoints update

I called the chevy dealer here in Cheyenne and they will replace all 6 ujoints and change the diff. fluid on thursday. Id like to do the work but Im going to pass this time cause Im on the road.
Ill ask them to check for spindle flange wear while the at it, Thanks for the tip Burglar..
Ill post an update of how it all works out
Tom

Just a thought here, I'd hold off on the spindle check if this is a dealer you don't know, Why give them the excuse to overcharge you.

Do the universal's and diff. fluid, you'll know soon enough if it's something else.

I wouldn't say this if they were going to be tearing stuff apart there anyways.

Can you tell I don't trust many dealer's:(

Rick

Rick,
I hear ya, Ill approach the dealer with the spindle flange check in a way where they dont have free reign, or I wont mention it at all at this time. Thanks..
Tom

Chev dealers

I'm with you Rick! I have a 91 ZR1 and not every dealer works on these cars. I live in the land of fruits and nuts and insane drivers (Calif). I went to a local dealer to check my "Service Ride Control" sensors. The tech came back with an estimate to replace all four shocks (Bilsteins) and the ride control Actuators at a cost of $5740.00!!!! I was shocked. No, they did'nt get my business, but if "word of mouth" advertising carries and weight, I guarantee I will spread the word on Tom Bell Chevrolet in Redlands, Calif.
Lar

Lar,

You must have forgot!

When you drive in with a Vette they add one zero, 2 when you drive in with a ZR1.

Tom,

How'd you make out?

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom