Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Selective Ride Codes

Jayman

Hi guys and gals.
1. Which pins do I jump for codes on my 89 6 spd? I'm thinking it should still be A - B but I wanted to be sure? The reason I ask is the codes for the SES and the Selective ride flash at the same time. Do I ignore the SES and read what I want then?
2. What is the procedure for clearing these codes from the systems computer?
Thanks all!
thumbsup.gif

Don't know specifically about your year, but have heard it's A to C for FX3 for later models.

Oh really? It seems it is not easy finding information on these systems - believe me I've done the search thing!!!

This site has some info you can use........

http://www.captainzcnc.com/

Suggest you purchase a Factory Service Manual. They are worth the investment. Great time saver.

To clear FX3 codes, turn the ignition to Run but don't start the car. With a small paperclip, jump pins A and C on the ALDL (in the upper left corner of the driver' side knee bolster). These pins are on the upper row and are lettered in this fashion as you look at them: E D C B A

To clear the codes, you must jump the pins for two seconds doing it for a total of three times.

To display the codes (which is simply a series of flashes of the SRC message) jump the pins and turn the ignition to Run and watch the SRC message lamp.

Codes are two digit values and the sequence always begins and ends with a code "12". The SRC light flashes based on each integer of the code and the code repeats three times with a couple of seconds between each code value. For example a Code 12 flashes like this:
12= blink, blink blink / blink, blink blink / blink, blink blink
(there is a about a half second "/" pause between each of the three code intergers)

A code 32 is:
32= blink blink blink, blink blink (and repeats twice more)

After all of the codes have been displayed there is a final code 12 and the sequence repeats until you either pull the jumper or turn the ignition off

Heres the code meanings:
Code 12 = Start of sequence
Code 13 = Left Rear Time Out (possible bad actuator)
Code 14 = Right Front Time Out (same)
Code 21 = Left Front Time Out (same)
Code 22 = Right Rear Time Out (same)

Code 23 = Loss of vehicle speed signal (this code will appear if the ignition switch is cycled On/OFF three times without the vehicle moving. Once the vehicle moves and there are no other codes the SRC light will go OFF but this code remains in history)

Code 31 = Left Front Out of Position (maybe broken gear on shock rod)
Code 32 = Right Front Out of Position (same)
Code 33 = Left Rear Out of Position (same)
Code 34 = Right Rear Out of position (same)

Code 41 = SRC Switch short to Voltage
Code 42 = SRC SWitch open contacts (console switch not positioned at one of the three detents
Code 43 = SRC switch citrcuit open.

Give this a try and report what codes you get. Remember, a Code 12 sarts the sequence and also ends it. Any other codes are repeated three times before the next code is displayed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey thanks Rabbit, that is fantastic - just what I needed. I really appreciate it.
Jayman

Rabbit has posted most of the info you need.

There is more in the Factory Service manual along with a technical article on SRC which ran in the June issue of Corvette Enthusiast magazine.

Okay, either I'm doing something incorrectly or....:confused .
When I attempt to clear the codes do I jump pins A&C then turn the key back and forth for two seconds 3 times? I did try that and I also left the key on and inserted the jumper 3 times and nothing changed for me.
What am I missing fellas?
Please bear in mind that I just picked up the car and do not have access to a manual yet.
:cool
P.S. How come I can't get my sig to work?

Jayman said:
Okay, either I'm doing something incorrectly or....:confused .
When I attempt to clear the codes do I jump pins A&C then turn the key back and forth for two seconds 3 times? I did try that and I also left the key on and inserted the jumper 3 times and nothing changed for me.
What am I missing fellas?
Please bear in mind that I just picked up the car and do not have access to a manual yet.
:cool
P.S. How come I can't get my sig to work?

Were you able to extract any codes?

Turn the ignition to "run", donot start. Ground pin A to C for 2 seconds for a total of 3 times.

You will have to be sure you are using pin "c". If you are able to extract codes from the SRC light you shud be using the correct pin. I'm not familiar with the DLC on your year & can't say which is pin "c".

If you cycle the ignition, "on/"off" 3 times, without driving the car, you will set code 23.
It will have to be driven to put the Service ride control light out, provided the problem has been cleared.

Rabbit said:
Were you able to extract any codes?

Turn the ignition to "run", donot start. Ground pin A to C for 2 seconds for a total of 3 times.

You will have to be sure you are using pin "c". If you are able to extract codes from the SRC light you shud be using the correct pin. I'm not familiar with the DLC on your year & can't say which is pin "c".

If you cycle the ignition, "on/"off" 3 times, without driving the car, you will set code 23.
It will have to be driven to put the Service ride control light out, provided the problem has been cleared.
Okay maybe the problem is the year. On my 89 I can read the SES codes and the SRC codes by jumpimg A and B. When I read the SRC codes it gives me every available code, hence my decision to clear the codes and drive the car and then recheck. I tried jumping A and C but nothing happened (rad fans did not even come on).
Could this be the problem I'm having, or am I completely out to lunch here?
Thanks again for your time.

Jayman said:
Okay maybe the problem is the year. On my 89 I can read the SES codes and the SRC codes by jumpimg A and B. When I read the SRC codes it gives me every available code, hence my decision to clear the codes and drive the car and then recheck. I tried jumping A and C but nothing happened (rad fans did not even come on).
Could this be the problem I'm having, or am I completely out to lunch here?
Thanks again for your time.

Don't know what to tell ya? Wish I could be of more help. Maybe some one with an 89 FSM will come on & help you out?

I have an '89 with the Selective Ride Control and have the Service Manual at home. I will see what it says about clearing the codes and let you know tomorrow. Still, my overall impression of the system is that no one was particularly wild about it at the time it came out, it's really dated technology now, and the parts for it are ludicrously expensive even if you have Bilstein rebuild the shocks. The good thing is that the entire system is easy to disconnect and replace. When I got my car, the shocks were shot, so what I did was simply disconnect the system and take off the actuators. I replaced the shocks with regular shocks, and the cost of all four was less than the price of one of the FX-3 shocks and it totally ends any future aggravation. So......once you figure out what the problem is, if it's a big ticket expense you might consider simply replacing the entire thing and saving a bundle of cash and aggravation over something which apparently wasn't too swift to begin with.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Chris that would be great if you could check for me. You pretty much bang on actually - I'm trying to determine the operating state of the system before making any decisions. I look forward to your post.
Jayman

Jayman said:
Chris that would be great if you could check for me. You pretty much bang on actually - I'm trying to determine the operating state of the system before making any decisions. I look forward to your post.
Jayman

No problem! I also bought a complete kit of testing plugs with instructions from Gordon Killibrew, who is billed as the world's leading expert on this system and other electronic systems on C4s. Whether he is or not I don't know, but I will look at what he says, as well.

/s/ Chris

Jayman said:
Jayman

Hi---O.K., I took a look at the Factory Service Manual last night and this is what it said about clearing the codes (page 8A-43-2):

"When the diagnosis is complete and any necessary repairs have been made, the trouble codes must be cleared to prevent further misdiagnosis. To clear the system, ground pin B of the ALDL connector for two seconds and repeat the procedure twice for a total of three groundings (see fig 2)".

"Fig 2" is difficult to figure out, BUT it appears that pin B is the second pin in from the right on the top row of the ALDL. In other words, there are two rows of pins in the ALDL if you look straight at it. Each row has six pins, and the rows are one above the other. Pin B is on the top row, and is the second pin from the far right side. It looks like this:

FEDCBA
GHJKLM

The first pin on the right side is pin A, and that is apparently the ground pin. What you do is simply insert a jumper wire, paper clip or something similar from pin B to pin A to ground the system three times (for two seconds each time) to clear the codes.

Hope this works!!

/s/ Chris

That is perfect Chris. You are the man!!!
Thanks

Okay I had to go and try it. Worked great - thank you I appreciate it!!!

Jayman said:
Okay I had to go and try it. Worked great - thank you I appreciate it!!!

Wonderful--keep me apprised of what you decide to do about the Select Ride system. Incidentally, does the CA stand for California or Canada?

/s/ Chris

Well let's see - drive the car and no more codes - leave it be as its working.
- drive the car with codes - cross that bridge when I get there.
It's Canada, however the car comes from California. My wife and I flew down and had an awesome trip driving the car back home. I highly recommend purchasing a Vette this way unless of course you can find what you want locally.
Thanks again!

Jayman said:
Well let's see - drive the car and no more codes - leave it be as its working.
- drive the car with codes - cross that bridge when I get there.
It's Canada, however the car comes from California. My wife and I flew down and had an awesome trip driving the car back home. I highly recommend purchasing a Vette this way unless of course you can find what you want locally.
Thanks again!

I know what you mean. I rescued my 89 from a bad situation in Colorado and drove it back here---it ran beautifully, like it was glad to leave. Next stop for us (once I get a job) is San Diego. Incidentally, if you decide to keep the Select Ride system after checking it out, please let me know what you think of it.

Cheers,

/s/ Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom