Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

selling my 1980 corvette L48 w/4 speed #3 condition in Chicago

chgostout

Corvette
1980 4 speed, white w/maroon racing stripe
2013-07-25 010.jpg2013-07-26 009.jpgView attachment Price Guide Report.pdf

1980 Corvette ( to see more pics go to 1980 Corvette Photos by chogstout | Photobucket

I’ve owned this car for just about 12 years now. It’s always been garage kept. In this 12 years I’ve put less than 5000 miles on it, and the odometer shows almost 52,000 mi. on it now. I assume the odometer was reset to zero when the engine was overhauled and speedometer was replaced, but I’m not sure. Since buying the car, I’ve done many things to improve it, but haven’t had a lot of time to drive it, which is why I’m selling. I’ve put an average of only about 500 miles per summer on it.

This car has the 4 speed, manual transmission that only 5700 cars of a total of almost 41.000 corvettes produced in 1980 came with. It also has the heavy duty Gymkhana suspension and shock absorbers. It has the L48 350 cu.in. engine, with 4 barrel carburetor. And, it has air conditioning, tilt and telescopic steering control, t-tops with leather pouches for storing, am-fm stereo radio, and a shop manual. I also have a few extra parts, etc., I’ll tell you about.

The whole car was originally in the claret red color, but the exterior was re-painted white with claret racing stripes running down the middle, shortly before I bought it. The interior is the original claret cloth and leather, and still in good condition. The engine was completely rebuilt, shortly before I bought it, and I had the transmission rebuilt shortly after buying.
I’ve repaired or replaced these items since owning the car, and done many other things which are too much to list here. I have receipts for these repairs/replacements. This list starts with the most recent and goes backward, but even the oldest have no more than 5,000 mi. on them …

1. Brand new BF Goodrich radial T/A tires
2. Power steering pump, control valve, and power cylinder
3. All 4 disk brakes, calipers and master cylinder
4. New starter motor and wiring harness to it
5. New battery and power disconnect switch
6. Replace both mufflers and LH cat converter on dual exhaust system
7. Replace heater hoses and thermostat and fan belts
8. Rebuilt carburetor
9. Installed new power antenna
10. Rebuilt 4 speed transmission and clutch

The car is 34 yrs. old, and has some minor flaws. The clock doesn’t work, but I have a new one. Rear defroster doesn’t work. Air conditioning needs recharging. And a few other minor things I’ll tell you about.
So, all in all, we have a sharp lookin’ corvette, that looks good, inside and out; runs good and is dependable; and will take you anywhere you want to go, … while turning heads the whole way!

I think $13,500 is a fair price … but, I will consider serious reasonable offers. Qualified buyers may be eligible for Financing, Shipping, and Extended Warranties! call: 855-600-7750 refer to Stock Number: C94382L

Attachments

• 2013-07-25 005.jpg
    2013-07-25 005.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 2013-07-25 004.jpg
    2013-07-25 004.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 214
  • 2013-07-25 007.jpg
    2013-07-25 007.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 2013-07-25 006.jpg
    2013-07-25 006.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 2013-07-25 003.jpg
    2013-07-25 003.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
1980 4-speed

Why did the 4-speed have to be rebuilt with the low mileage on your Corvette?

Why did the 4-speed have to be rebuilt with the low mileage on your Corvette?

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my description of the car. The engine had been rebuilt and 45k miles put on the car with it's 'original' trans.
Then, I bought the car, and shortly thereafter, I began to feel difficulty in shifting, etc. A mechanic friend o' mine suggested a good trans shop close by, that he sends his customer's cars to, after he checked it out himself and could see it needed to be looked at by some trans guys. So, I had them check it out and they said they should rebuild the trans.
Since that was done, the engine, trans, clutch, rear end, ... everything has worked together fine, without further problems or needing to re-do any of those things.
So, to be more correct, I should say ... the engine's got almost 50,000 miles on it and the trans has about 5,000 miles ...

curious to see how long my car will sit on here, a corvette forum, without even so much as a nibble! So far - 1 year!

View attachment 19412View attachment 19416View attachment 19409

1980 Corvette ( to see more pics go to 1980 Corvette Photos by chogstout | Photobucket

I’ve owned this car for just about 12 years now. It’s always been garage kept. In this 12 years I’ve put less than 5000 miles on it, and the odometer shows almost 52,000 mi. on it now. I assume the odometer was reset to zero when the engine was overhauled and speedometer was replaced, but I’m not sure. Since buying the car, I’ve done many things to improve it, but haven’t had a lot of time to drive it, which is why I’m selling. I’ve put an average of only about 500 miles per summer on it.

This car has the 4 speed, manual transmission that only 5700 cars of a total of almost 41.000 corvettes produced in 1980 came with. It also has the heavy duty Gymkhana suspension and shock absorbers. It has the L48 350 cu.in. engine, with 4 barrel carburetor. And, it has air conditioning, tilt and telescopic steering control, t-tops with leather pouches for storing, am-fm stereo radio, and a shop manual. I also have a few extra parts, etc., I’ll tell you about.

The whole car was originally in the claret red color, but the exterior was re-painted white with claret racing stripes running down the middle, shortly before I bought it. The interior is the original claret cloth and leather, and still in good condition. The engine was completely rebuilt, shortly before I bought it, and I had the transmission rebuilt shortly after buying.
I’ve repaired or replaced these items since owning the car, and done many other things which are too much to list here. I have receipts for these repairs/replacements. This list starts with the most recent and goes backward, but even the oldest have no more than 5,000 mi. on them …

1. Brand new BF Goodrich radial T/A tires
2. Power steering pump, control valve, and power cylinder
3. All 4 disk brakes, calipers and master cylinder
4. New starter motor and wiring harness to it
5. New battery and power disconnect switch
6. Replace both mufflers and LH cat converter on dual exhaust system
7. Replace heater hoses and thermostat and fan belts
8. Rebuilt carburetor
9. Installed new power antenna
10. Rebuilt 4 speed transmission and clutch

The car is 34 yrs. old, and has some minor flaws. The clock doesn’t work, but I have a new one. Rear defroster doesn’t work. Air conditioning needs recharging. And a few other minor things I’ll tell you about.
So, all in all, we have a sharp lookin’ corvette, that looks good, inside and out; runs good and is dependable; and will take you anywhere you want to go, … while turning heads the whole way!

I think $13,500 is a fair price … but, I will consider serious reasonable offers. Qualified buyers may be eligible for Financing, Shipping, and Extended Warranties! call: 855-600-7750 refer to Stock Number: C94382L
I'm curious to see how long this can sit on a site of corvette lovers ... before it get's some attention! The price, condition, and everything else is right in-line with it being a fair deal. Goin' on 1 year soo far.

selling 81 corvette

at 13500 its high thats why no takers. Can get very low miles and all original for that price. Just because it has a corvette name does not mean extra $$$

at 13500 its high thats why no takers. Can get very low miles and all original for that price. Just because it has a corvette name does not mean extra $$$

That's why these older vettes ... and older cars in general, do not appreciate in value like they should. And since there's not much value, smart investors and young people coming up in the ranks of the older car hobby ... are losing interest to the point where soon there won't be any market for things that get old. We've changed from a "when it breaks-fix it" mentality, to a "when it breaks-toss it and go git another one" mentality! Too bad for the future of the car hobby ...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom