Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Selling Process

Space Cowboy

Corvette
1968 Convertible - Candy Apple - 427/475+
I started the process of selling a 68 C3 that I've fully restored. I'm advertising in Hemmings for the next couple of months. Of course, so other sales people are coming out of the wood work. I had a company today that goes by the name of Long Industries aka The Big Lot. They 'claim' to have some perspective buyers for my car. They state that its a $150 fee to match buyers up to sellers and that if within 60 days the car is not sold, I would get $121 of the $150 back.

Have any of you heard of this company, and are they on the up and up? It sounds fishy to me.

Thanks

Ha Ha

STAY AWAY FROM THEM> You won't get crap back.

This sounds a lot like when I went looking for an extended warranty for my corvette. Once my name got out there a ton of ho-hum warranty companies stated to email and call me. One still does even after five months. So I have to agree with the others here, Hang up on these guys. Just stay away from them no matter how swell the deal they are pedaling, there just trying to seperate you from you money !:puke You might want to consider putting your 68 up for cosignment with on of the Major retailers like Mershon or Corvette Mike?

I started the process of selling a 68 C3 that I've fully restored. I'm advertising in Hemmings for the next couple of months. Of course, so other sales people are coming out of the wood work. I had a company today that goes by the name of Long Industries aka The Big Lot. They 'claim' to have some perspective buyers for my car. They state that its a $150 fee to match buyers up to sellers and that if within 60 days the car is not sold, I would get $121 of the $150 back.

Have any of you heard of this company, and are they on the up and up? It sounds fishy to me.

Thanks

I'd do my own marketing- especially in light of the current credit markets.

I'd create a photobucket account and store a whole lot of pictures. Create a web page with Geo Cities and then link pictures and text that describes the car.

Then, post your car on AutaBuy, Craig's list, Ebay (as buy it now or best offer and a cash only clause!), Corvette Trader, and other sites. Reference the photobucket account or your web page.

I'd do my own marketing- especially in light of the current credit markets.

I'd create a photobucket account and store a whole lot of pictures. Create a web page with Geo Cities and then link pictures and text that describes the car.

Then, post your car on AutaBuy, Craig's list, Ebay (as buy it now or best offer and a cash only clause!), Corvette Trader, and other sites. Reference the photobucket account or your web page.

Thanks for the suggestions. I started with Hemmings which will run through the end of November. I've always been afraid of Ebay because of all the horror stories I've heard about people getting scammed. I'll probably widen my advertising to various web sites as you've suggested.

Thanks

I have a photo site created as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31028765@N02/

1st - like the others suggest, open up a photo album account, I like "myphotoalbum.com" - it allows you to alot of text to describe your car and it's priced as well as the others (if you go the deluxe route - $29). I've also had good luck with Photobucket and Webshots.

Advertise the car in Hemmings, Cars-On-Line, and the Corvette enthusiast sites like this one and the others that most of us frequent. I've had some mixed results from Ebay - but truthfully you can't beat the exposure for the dough.

I've sold $200k Dodge Daytona's on Craigs List - seriously! There is some good search software out there that is enabling people to do global searches without spending alot of time - it's growing fast due to these sites >> ie. http://www.craigshelper.com/ , http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi

Regarding Craig's List the trick there is to put the HTML link code (from the photoalbum sites) into the ads in order to get the larger pics. Cost of sale is virtually free, set up a CL account so you can keep tabs on when and where you post as well as knowing when they expire... ALSO - ALWAYS put a link to your album site in the listing... I get the most success using the slide show format like this one >> http://vintagecarsonline.myphotoalbum.com/slideshow.php?set_albumName=album05

Get GOOD pics taken, remember you are your prospective buyer's eyes...

:thumb
Good luck!

If you have any questions, email me - davecastine@gmail.com - I'm always glad to help another Corvette owner! I do this kind'a stuff on the side, helps take the edge off my kids' tuition...

Dave
www.VintageCarsOnline.com
74 L-82 Roadster
67 GTX 440 4spd Dana

They 'claim' to have some perspective buyers for my car. They state that its a $150 fee to match buyers up to sellers and that if within 60 days the car is not sold, I would get $121 of the $150 back.
Give me $30 and I'm sure I can come across 2 or 3 people that are "prospective buyers".

"Hey, Killain and red70vette, I need you to call Space Cowboy and show some interest in his car. Just call and talk to him and tell him you were referred by me. You obviously don't have to buy the car though. But give him a shout, ask some questions, and tell 'im I sent ya. Thanks!"

...and Thank YOU!, Space Cowboy! It's been a pleasure. Sorry your car didn't sell. We can't guarantee our prospects any more than we can guarantee your car to them.

LOL... Funny Evolution1980!

Thanks for the suggestions dcastine! Already in Hemmings and have a photosite. I might try Craiglist as well.

selling and buying

Hi space cowboy,you mention Ebay, and scams, yes you are probably correct, but i have purchased four cars on ebay in US , and sold two here in australia where and i live , and ive been very happy, if you have no luck in hemmings give Ebay a try ,they sell the most cars in the world,if you have 100% feedback, give a full honest description ,and atleast a dozen photos,especially under chassis or good quility close up photos, be open and honest, and offer your car at a realistic price for its condition, you will sell your vette ,buyers and sellers create there own scams and problems, by not giving a true correct information, allowing low feedback buyers to bid,etc, etc, give the prospective buyer all the information they want.example when i purchased my lowmiles 74 L82 corvette , i asked for photos close up of every area, i new that were prone to corrosion ,asked for receipts as evidents to its low miles, and the seller gave me then, when a seller does not give all the photos and information leave the car and look for another,if you dont have many unit sales or buys on ebay, buy and sell a few cheap items and build your credit units up to atleast twelve or more with 100%, best of luck Wayne Down under.

Like buying any ised car, you need to know cars and have questions ready, know what to look for (problem areas etc). If not, have the car looked at by a professional, pay up front instead of buying a big problem!!!

Hi space cowboy,you mention Ebay, and scams, yes you are probably correct, but i have purchased four cars on ebay in US , and sold two here in australia where and i live , and ive been very happy, if you have no luck in hemmings give Ebay a try ,they sell the most cars in the world,if you have 100% feedback, give a full honest description ,and atleast a dozen photos,especially under chassis or good quility close up photos, be open and honest, and offer your car at a realistic price for its condition, you will sell your vette ,buyers and sellers create there own scams and problems, by not giving a true correct information, allowing low feedback buyers to bid,etc, etc, give the prospective buyer all the information they want.example when i purchased my lowmiles 74 L82 corvette , i asked for photos close up of every area, i new that were prone to corrosion ,asked for receipts as evidents to its low miles, and the seller gave me then, when a seller does not give all the photos and information leave the car and look for another,if you dont have many unit sales or buys on ebay, buy and sell a few cheap items and build your credit units up to atleast twelve or more with 100%, best of luck Wayne Down under.

Thanks Wayne. Oddly enough, I'm having a professional appraisal of the car this weekend by a company that Hagerty insurance suggested.

I'm tired of people that see the car tell how much I 'should' get for it. I don't want to screw myself based on what I have invested in it, but at the same time I obviously don't want to ask too much and scare potential buyers off.

So far, I've had very little response from Hemmings. Its going to be in next months edition which is during the carlisle auto show (not sure of that spelling) which Hemmings say they give away a lot of free issue. Maybe it will give me a little extra exposure. I hope I get my monies worth out of Hemmings... they are quite pricey on ads.

I'm tired of people that see the car tell how much I 'should' get for it. I don't want to screw myself based on what I have invested in it, but at the same time I obviously don't want to ask too much and scare potential buyers off.
As long you aren't hoping to make all your money back, you should be OK. It is possible, but very unlikely that you'll get back the money that you put into the car. The odds are slightly better if you've turned the wrench yourself the entire time and don't figure in the cost of your labor, but other than that, it's tough.

Have you tried Corvette Trader, eBay, and/or CraigsList?

Oh hey, I just had a brilliant ideas for getting all your money back PLUS some! Sell it at Barrett-Jackson! I can almost guarantee it'll sell for a minimum of 10-20% more than it's worth! ;LOL

Barrett-Jackson! LOL!! With all the fees they charge, a person is lucky to get away turning a profit. I know that some even loose big time because of no reserves.

I'm actually thinking about trying L.A. CraigsList since. I'm waiting until the appraisal is complete though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, the hard part is over. The appraiser came over on Saturday and went over the car for 3 1/2 hours with a fine tooth comb. There was a lot of idle car chit chat too, but I learned a few things I didn't know. The guy really seemed to know his Vettes, plus he stated he had owned 5 or 6 during his life as well, so I was confident he would be fair with his grading. The grading system was from 1 - 5 with 1 being fair, and 5 being excellent. He stated that in his whole career of appraising cars, he has only given two cars a 5. My cars average score was a 4+. Other comments were that the paint was the best he had seen in about 17 years. We went for a ride as part of the grade. His comments were "FUN!!!" and also that is was the smoothest ride he had ever been in a C3. He is always use to getting beat up.

I'm VERY pleased so far with the grading, but I won't get the final value estimate for another 2 weeks from the companies master appraiser.

The grading system was from 1 - 5 with 1 being fair, and 5 being excellent. He stated that in his whole career of appraising cars, he has only given two cars a 5. My cars average score was a 4+.
Awesome! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom