Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Service ABS - Service Active Handling DIC message

Fearless

Corvette
2016 C7 Z51 Admiral Blue
Has anyone every received this service message? My 2001 C5 Coupe only has 37,000 miles on it, I've had it since new. This worries me as a potentially expensive repair. Or could it just be a corroded connection somewhere? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GW

I'll check

I have one of those CarMD devices, I'll see what that says. Thanks very much for your response and any help you may be able to provide, before I have to call the dealer. The cruise control will run for a bit, then shut down, then I get the Active Handling message. Took it to the dealer last year for that, they couldn't find anything wrong, $150 later.

Greg

Have you run the trouble codes? Do you have the service manuals? If so there will be a flow chart to troubleshoot this problem. I don't have mine here at school, but when I get home, I'll try to remember to check.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-performance/72535-pulling-codes-c5.html

I had mine display that message and it was a wheel speed sensor not making good contact at the connector. The connector had some corrosion in it. That's what mine was on for. The car should have stored the codes in its history files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Which ABS rebuilder to use?

Has anyone every received this service message? My 2001 C5 Coupe only has 37,000 miles on it, I've had it since new. This worries me as a potentially expensive repair. Or could it just be a corroded connection somewhere? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GW

My 2002 with 38000 miles on it has just started doing the same thing. The code in the DIC blamed the ABS module. I've read many posts and forums the last couple days. The consensus is that dealers charge way too much for the repair, and there are at least 3 websites I've found that advertise a module rebuild for around $150.

Has anyone reading this had a good (or bad) experience with any of the rebuilders? Thanks for your input.

If there is anything else I should check before pulling the module and sending it off?

Eric

I have one of those CarMD devices, I'll see what that says. Thanks very much for your response and any help you may be able to provide, before I have to call the dealer. The cruise control will run for a bit, then shut down, then I get the Active Handling message. Took it to the dealer last year for that, they couldn't find anything wrong, $150 later.

Greg
Greg,

Looking for replies I re-read this thread and noticed this post. I had the problem with cruise disengaging previously and it turned out to be the steering wheel position sensor, which the dealer replaced under warranty. There are several posts around the net about how to do that job, I understand the trick is not to activate the airbag by mishandling the equipment after the steering column is disconnected at the sensor.

My interest in the topic remains the ABS module.

Eric

Just pull the codes and post them,Not one person here can help you with out the codes.......ALL Codes,History and Current,ALL Modules!~~!~!:thumb

Don't clear the codes,Just Pull'um.

Turn the key to the ON position, but don't start the engine. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times. This will get you into the CODES section of the DIC. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. Any code that ends in H is a history code (something that has occured in the past) but is fine now. Once the computer has finished going through all of it's codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# CODES".

To optionally reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays "NO CODES". Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps in this paragraph until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules
. NOTE !! <o:p>Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this.

:beer</o:p>

Finding the problem ?

FWIW, I bought a OBD-II code reader off the auction site for $20.00. It's not fancy, but it works. But as junkie said, without a code or a reader or whatever, nobody can help without knowing where to look. If we lived closer I'd bring the reader up to you to use. These systems are complicated, you need something to help you transverse it to find the problem. If I can be of any help let me know.

Cheap code readers almost never support the chassis computer, so, in this case, that's just useless info.

Best bet is C5s on-board diagnostics, as suggested above.

Post the codes which are set in the EBTCM and maybe we can help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom