Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Service ASR - Engine not running

jrclark32

Corvette
1992 Coupe; 6-speed; Blue
I have a '92 coupe with about 85k on it that I've owned for a little over a year. It hasn't given me any problems at all, until about a week ago when I was driving through town and it just completely dropped dead. I cranked on it a few times and it acted like it was trying to fire, but wouldn't start.

I was sitting at a stoplight at the time, and after a couple minutes gave up and was looking for a place to push it out of the way... I tried it one more time, and it fired on the first crank and ran perfectly.... for about 10 miles.

I was humming down the interstate doing 70, trying to make it home when it died again. I noticed this time, that about 4 seconds before the engine quit that the "Service ASR" light came on.

This time I had to wait about 15 minutes before it would restart, and this repeated itself about 4 more times before I finally ended up pushing the last 1/4 mile to the driveway -- ever time, that "Service ASR" popped up seconds before it died.

I've pulled codes (as described by http://www.c4guru.com/articles/CCMCodePull.pdf), and under the 9. module, I'm getting:

H62
H65
H74

These codes are listed as EBCS error codes:

62 - Tachometer Data Error
65 - Adjuster Assembly Error
74 - Low Voltage

I've found that if I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, that it will reset and then start and run for a short while before the problem repeats itself -- which it does every time.

Does anybody have any experience dealing with this -- or any ideas where to start? Is it possible to bypass/eliminate the ASR system (I never use it anyway)?

Thanks!

I'm shooting in the dark here as the codes on the 92 are different than my 90. Have you checked the battery voltage? It seems like low voltage could raise havoc with a computer controlled car.
Good luck and WELCOME ABOARD!

If the ASR needs to be replaced, I would just as soon eliminate it... IF that's the problem.

It's been suggested that it might be the Optispark that's bad... does that make sense to you guys?

I'm shooting in the dark here as the codes on the 92 are different than my 90. Have you checked the battery voltage? It seems like low voltage could raise havoc with a computer controlled car.
Good luck and WELCOME ABOARD!

I would tend to agree with Bill, I think you need to check the battery out, first. Then if everything is OK then proceed with the next steps. I can check my FSM for those codes and see what it says. I don't think it is the Opti, I'm pretty sure the codes that it would set would be different.

I would tend to agree with Bill, I think you need to check the battery out, first. Then if everything is OK then proceed with the next steps. I can check my FSM for those codes and see what it says. I don't think it is the Opti, I'm pretty sure the codes that it would set would be different.

I agree. It doesn't sound like a failing opti. Like Tom said, have the battery checked and also check for a frayed or loose cable. Could have the alternator checked also.

I suspect that the ASR light is related to the low voltage condition due to the fact that it comes on right before you have your stalling. A correctly functioning battery and/or charging system should cure that problem.

I agree. It doesn't sound like a failing opti. Like Tom said, have the battery checked and also check for a frayed or loose cable. Could have the alternator checked also.

I suspect that the ASR light is related to the low voltage condition due to the fact that it comes on right before you have your stalling. A correctly functioning battery and/or charging system should cure that problem.

I totally agree.

It turns out we were all wrong on this one... but it was a relatively simple fix. I tried a different battery (out of my other vehicle), and none of the symptoms changed. I replaced the ignition module and I haevn't had a problem since.

From a few mechanics I've spoken with, this was a pretty common problem -- something we should keep in mind with symptoms like mine had. Luckly, it's only a $75 part, and is extremely easy to replace.

Thanks for all your input and ideas though!

-John

Thanks for letting us know...sometimes we never hear back. I'm just not sure how the ASR is related to the ignition module...but it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that you got it fixed and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. :D

Tom, my curiosity is now piqued. When I get the time I am going to look in the wiring diagrams and see if there's even a remote link. This is a curious fix. I like it though. I save all these problems and fixes for future use.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom