Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Service ASR, Security & SYS

H

Huckleberry

Well, I asked someone who use to be a service technician about my car's problem with the service ASR, Security and SYS coming on.

According to him, the security & sys lights are a separate issue from the Service ASR light. The first two signify a problem with the security system computer. The owners manual says the same thing. The ASR problem is just what it says, a problem with the traction control module.

I've already heard the security module is expensive. How about the ASR module? And are they a pain to install. I'm assuming it's difficult, since everything else on this car is.

Thanks

P.S. This is not a battery, alternator or fuel system. All have been checked and are in good working order.

I have a 93 but can't remember the sys and security lights on the panel. I had an ASR and ABS light pulse on every once in a while at the same time. This was because of low brake fluid going around a corner.

Robertwav1 said:
I have a 93 but can't remember the sys and security lights on the panel. I had an ASR and ABS light pulse on every once in a while at the same time. This was because of low brake fluid going around a corner.

The SYS is a digital message that blinks next to the MPH display. The Security light is to the left of the digital display.

Thanks

ASR acting up?

Your situation sounds like exactly what happened to my '94 coupe 3 years ago.
It took me over two years to finally figure out what was causing all of the grief.
I posted my issues a few times on this forum but it seemed like I was the only one who ever had this problem.

See if these symptons are familiar:
ASR service light came on and wouldn't work
Passing kick down gear wouldn't work
Idling was rough

After a few trips to my local garage and two trips to a GM service dealer, replacing the TPS ( throttle body sensor ), the ECM computer, new battery, GM finally found the issue by accident.

It turned out to be the air conditioning wiring harness module that was corroded where it plugged into the engine.
It turns out this wiring harness module, is tied into the idling, transmission and rear axle.
Immediately all of my issues went away.
You might want to have your mechanic investigate this possibility for your car also.

Follow up.

I forgot to mention that my SYS lights were also occasionally flashing, during the other symptons I was having also.
It stopped also, once the wiring harness module was replaced.

I guess this shows us that the first thing we should do is check electrical connections. Computers can drive ya crazy cause of faulty connections. Hey....it doesn't cost anything but time and it is a great place to start. Good point Cruise.

Robertwav1 said:
The same lights come on when I turn on my car. Every now and then it will take it a while, but they come on every time I drive the car. I've been wanting to take it into the shop to get it checked out, but I'm on a college budget and can't afford it until this summer. Thanks for letting me know of a possible cause. I'll get out there and take a look at it later today :beer

It took me over two years to finally figure out what was causing all of the grief.
I posted my issues a few times on this forum but it seemed like I was the only one who ever had this problem.

Idling was rough

After a few trips to my local garage and two trips to a GM service dealer, replacing the TPS ( throttle body sensor ), the ECM computer, new battery, GM finally found the issue by accident.

It turned out to be the air conditioning wiring harness module that was corroded where it plugged into the engine.
It turns out this wiring harness module, is tied into the idling, transmission and rear axle.
You might want to have your mechanic investigate this possibility for your car also.
I'm having an ASR problem with my 92 coupe... it will run perfectly, until the moment the "Service ASR" light comes on. As soon as that light pops on, it instantly dies and won't restart. When I'm trying to start it, it pops and carries on, but kinda acts like the timing is off. After it sits for a while (3 minutes the first time; 3 days most recently), it apparently resets, and it will start and run perfectly -- until the light comes on and it repeats itself.

Where is this "air conditioning control module" wiring harness located? Are you referring to the 2-conductor cable that plugs into the compressor?

I appreciate your help!

security light

i have an 84 crossfire and the security light just popped up and does not shut off. it keeps draining my battery. any suggestions of what this might be?. thanks guys.

Idling was rough

Does anybody know where this wiring harness plug is located? I have a similar problem with my 1992 Ls1.

With that number of service light on, with out knowing what codes each of those modules have set, it's pointless to guess at what's wrong.

If you haven't yet, purchase a copy of the factory service manual then use the sections in the books on the antitheft system, the traction control system and the body computer to read the fault codes.

Post the DTCs and maybe we can be of more help.

The only place that the harness for those items has in common is from the PCM to the field.

Check your FSM schematic for outputs of the 4 harness connectors, to see if one has control of all affected systems.

In a '94, 2 connectors have A/C and transmission control. But ASR control is not on either one of those. The 4 harnesses ARE physically tied together 'downfield', of the PCM however...

False codes also can be generated by poorly routed or worn spark plug wires, which causes electro-magnetic radiation. Yup - same as a nuke. This interference affects solid-state electronics in all cars.

I have service manuals and am a good troubleshooter. The ecu is not putting out any fault codes. Almost every time I drive the car the asr light lights up. Usually the instant gas mileage acts up at the same time. I am leaning toward a dirty connection somewhere. When I found someone else with a similar problem it seemed reasonable to try what worked for him. I am just wondering where the harness is that he replaced. Thanks.

ASR and ABS and BRAKE lights on

I have a 1994 Corvette. It was running great as usual until about a week ago, when "out of the blue," all three warning lights came on: BRAKE, ASR and ABS. I checked my brake fluid level: it was OK. The car still ran great and stopped without any noticeable problems. I was about to take my car in to the dealer until I came upon this web site. I told my friend about the problem and what I had read on this website about others who had similar problems. After reviewing this website, he hooked up my Corvette to a $4000 portable diagnostic code scanner. It indicated that the brake fluid level sensor was malfunctioning. I immediately ordered a new brake fluid level sensor (around $25 with shipping). Once it arrived, he quickly removed the old one and replaced it with the new one (in less than a minute). I started my Corvette, and like magic, NONE of the warning lights came on. I've had no problems ever since.

If you don't have an expensive diagnostic scanner, it may be useful to replace this sensor first if you experience a similar problem. I hope my story will help others out there who experience this issue with their C4 Corvette.

I have a 1994 Corvette. It was running great as usual until about a week ago, when "out of the blue," all three warning lights came on: BRAKE, ASR and ABS. I checked my brake fluid level: it was OK. The car still ran great and stopped without any noticeable problems. I was about to take my car in to the dealer until I came upon this web site. I told my friend about the problem and what I had read on this website about others who had similar problems. After reviewing this website, he hooked up my Corvette to a $4000 portable diagnostic code scanner. It indicated that the brake fluid level sensor was malfunctioning. I immediately ordered a new brake fluid level sensor (around $25 with shipping). Once it arrived, he quickly removed the old one and replaced it with the new one (in less than a minute). I started my Corvette, and like magic, NONE of the warning lights came on. I've had no problems ever since.

If you don't have an expensive diagnostic scanner, it may be useful to replace this sensor first if you experience a similar problem. I hope my story will help others out there who experience this issue with their C4 Corvette.

Welcome onto the boards there!

Glad it worked out as it did.

HOWEVER, some advice for next time -

Do NOT replace the sensor first. And forget the $4,000 scanner. You have a couple of .04c scanners in a little cup next to your computer monitor, and here's a pic of them (with the protective wrapper still on):
0156-0607-3108-3408_office_paperclips_against_a_black_background.jpg

THEN, when you get the code for x sensor, DO NOT BUY A SENSOR. Buy a multimeter, and see if power is going to the sensor. A new sensor with no power going to it will light the code up again. AND, it will not light it up right away, sometimes, making you think you fixed the problem, until it goes closed loop, and what do you then do??? Buy another sensor??? Not the best idea...

when my service asr light came on my tach would also quit.ended up being a bad connection on the low res wire to the msd opti.:upthumbs

Welcome Aboard Strikeeagle, and thanks for your input.

Service ASR, Security and SYS lights

I have the same issue with my 93 Corvette that Huckleberry mentioned, does anyone know what the final fix turned out to be?
Thanks in advance.

I have the same issue with my 93 Corvette that Huckleberry mentioned, does anyone know what the final fix turned out to be?
Thanks in advance.

Do you have any codes in the computer? Plug in a paper clip data scanner, and have a pencil ready (search here for 'paper clip').

Post up codes on it...

Only code showing up is 28 (AC clutch and cooling fan relays. Cooling fan relays are both jumpered to ground to keep fans running.

Do you have any codes in the computer? Plug in a paper clip data scanner, and have a pencil ready (search here for 'paper clip').

Post up codes on it...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom