Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Service Column Lock happened to me too

singledad_9

Corvette
Y2k vette, 73 under construction
And only one more week till Carlisle (sp.)

Okay, let me explain what happened.

Leaving a gas station, the message Service Column Lock flashed. Afterwhich, when I released the clutch, the engine died. I had the ability to move the steering wheel throughout. I also had the message, pull key and wait 10 sec. After about 1/2 hour, I finally hit the steering wheel (not too hard), while waiting for the flat bed.

The engine remained running when I released the clutch and I drove it home. Now, What happened. Before I bring it to the dealership that did the steering column lock recall, what else should I be looking for.

Also if there are codes to be retrieved, how do I retrieve them.

I'd like to drive it to PA next weekend for the show, but will not if I cannot trust it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

10q mike

Did you have the recall work performed on your car? If you did you have a new actuator mechanism and you should be good to go. If you still have feelings of insecurity, you can purchase and install the column lock by pass kit from Corvettes of Houston. It will run you about a hundred bucks and it comes with detailed and illustrated instructions. Easy install takes about 30 minutes.

manual or auto trans? (i'm guessing auto since you could move the wheel still)

Its a standard. I did have the recall work done. But when I started the car, the steering wheel wasn't locked. Now one other question, since I generally drive with the top down, yesterday I used the AC for the first time in about 2 months, could I have a AC drain problem ?.

Am going to call the dealer tomorrow to get her in to be looked at.

Maybe by my hitting the steering wheel, it made the necessary contacts to allow me to start driving it again.

Mike

Do the BYPASS!!!!

I just get really weird feelings about a servo motor..engaging a PIN in the steering mechanism controled by a relay ( talk about 1980's technology) with a positional switch ( on the motor assy) to tell something else it's ok to drive!!!!!! YIKES.

( Not a good plan )

I would prefer to have somebody steal my car, then me driving (ANYWHERE at ANY SPEED) and have that lock on me.

Vig!

this bypass sounds like a great idea. if you are going to take it to the dealer then let me share a few tips with you. first yes its possible that you have an a/c drain problem but i doubt thats the issue. the few recalls that i have fix (other techs did them but were no longer with us when the car came back locked up) have ALL been due to poor contacts at the replaced relay. when swapping wires the techs did a very poor job of removing and reinstalling the terminals. thats not to say that this is always the case, but just the ones that have been done and still F up.

I do not understand why my year 97 was not recalled? I am gald you got it fixed, the manager at the dealerhip promied me it will never happen, by I have some doubts.

How many people has this happened to? Also has anyone heard of an accident because of this failure?

Happy driving

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom