Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Service Column Lock" WARNING 03 Z06-- SOLVED

Ken D

Corvette
2003 RED Z06
I got this warning yesterday on my Z06.
Good news!! The column doesn't lock. I do not hear the solenoid actuating at all.
Bad news!! I have to clear the warning everytime I want to go for a drive.
I had the dealer reprogram the PCM per the campaign 04006 in July of 05 at 7,681 miles. I now have 11,100 miles on the car. What can I do to fix this? Someone memtioned fuse 25 which I have checked and found to be good.
Battery voltage is 11.4 with original battery.
Is there any risk to drive the vehicle?

Any help would be appreciated,
Ken

SOLVED, :)
Problem turned out to be a bad battery. Everything now works fine including the steering wheel lock. Neither the auto parts store or GM offers the original equipment battery anymore. I bought a Optima 75/25DT (red top matches car) so I could maintain the original gel type battery. It was bit expensive ($139.99+tax) but in the long run I felt it was the best way to go.
Thanks for everyone's comments,
Ken

Is this something that really has to be done? I received the recall, but still haven't taken it in.

;shrug

I remember seeing right before or right after a one time "low battery voltage" message. What are the chances of me changing the battery and having everything return to normal?
At what voltage does the "low battery voltage" message occur?

Yes, the battery voltage is a bit low and that COULD create your problem.
Personally, if you have the original, I may think about replacement.
I mistakenly thought you might have had this while running.
If NOT, replace your battery and recheck the condition.
Allthebest, :bash

I got this warning yesterday on my Z06.
Good news!! The column doesn't lock. I do not hear the solenoid actuating at all.
Bad news!! I have to clear the warning everytime I want to go for a drive.
I had the dealer reprogram the PCM per the campaign 04006 in July of 05 at 7,681 miles. I now have 11,100 miles on the car. What can I do to fix this? Someone memtioned fuse 25 which I have checked and found to be good.
Battery voltage is 11.4 with original battery.
Is there any risk to drive the vehicle?

Any help would be appreciated,
Ken

When did you have the dealer service the column lock on the recall? I had my 02 serviced in November 05 for the recall on the column lock, and May of 06 the column locked up while sitting in the garage overnight - I don't know what the vette was doing while I was sleeping to cause this, but I hope it was fun. I called the dealer and they told not to try to unlock the column nor drive it if it did unlock on its own. So I had it loaded onto a flat bed and it went to Denver without me. [I live in the mountains above Denver.] To credit the service manager, he found that there was a second recall that required an additional repair to the column lock. The recall came out after my November 05 repair, I believe, in Feb 06. At any rate, GM picked up the cost of the flat bed and the repair. This is a good dealer. Actually there are two great dealers in the Denver area in my experience who want to take care of your vette.

Hope this helps, because a locking steering column can be serious.

I agree DRTH. Are you getting any BCM codes?

I did get a low voltage code one time. Not sure if this is a BCM code or not.

The problem was solved with a battery. See original note. I wish they would update the title of the thread. I added the word "solved".

Thanks for your help,
Ken

I did get a low voltage code one time. Not sure if this is a BCM code or not.

The problem was solved with a battery. See original note. I wish they would update the title of the thread. I added the word "solved".

Thanks for your help,
Ken

Ask and you shall receive :D

OK let’s be proactive - so I did. Took it to Todey before I had any issues. You know it's nice to do things at your own pace. Well they needed to order a part for the CLB. So I said "great" didn't proactively figure that one out. Well it's been close to a year now and I'm still waiting for them to call me when the part comes in so I can get it taken care of.

No joke! :(

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom