Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Service Column Lock...YIKES

S

sea5vette98

I purchased a 98 Torch Red Coupe in January 1998 and she is my daily driver (over 63K miles), I've driven her to Bowling Green and Carlisle a couple of times and I show her in local car shows. I perform all my own maintenance and modifications. Keeping her looking good is a lifetime challenge, but a labor of love.

I have been having problems with the infamous "Service Column Lock" and "Pull Key, Wait 10 Sec" display. Some days I never see it at all, other days I see it every time I try to start the Vette. I tried the suggestion on the C5 Registry BBS site about pulling fuse 28 (or was it 25?) on the IP fuse panel. But that gets old QUICK and doesn't always work. I have resorted to restarting the car numerous times until the condition clears. Not an ideal solution.

I noticed that there is a TSB (#01044, NHTSA #SB623553) on the 98 Corvette steering column lock system. Could you tell me what the TSB says and what it recommends as a fix? This was a hot topic of conversation at my last car show and a recent "cruise night." So the problem is obviously wide spread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

Click on the Knowledgebase tab at the top of this page.
Click on 1997-2002 Corvettes
Click on Chassis and Suspension

You will see Recall: Electronic Column Lock, 1998-2000 Corvettes

Check that box and press the Answer button. You should be all set. Keep us posted and let us know how everything works out. :)

I agree with Rob. You should take the car to the dealer and have them fix it under the recall because you might end up getting stuck. Good luck.

The Dreaded C5 steering wheel lockup!

Rob,

I had this problem with my '98 last December; since then two other owners in my club have also been afflicted. It appears there are two types of '98's involved: those that have HAD it lock up, and those that WILL! :mad

Also, there has been a wide variation in response concerning who is PAYING to repair this obvious serious defect. (Mine was paid by an extended warranty, less my $100 deductible. I'm wondering if I shouldn't fight to get that back.)

Anyway, I tried to follow your advice to go to the "knowledge base" but the two items listed under "chassis and suspension" were unrelated. Can you steer me to this thread, please? :confused

Fred Horky

I think it is covered under a recall. The dealer fixed mine with no questions asked and did not charge me for it. You might want to find out about it. You should call around your local dealers. Good luck.

I have recently experienced the column lock problem as well. I purchased the C%Solutions CLB for $72.00 including shipping. It fixed the problem. Now iI get the Pull Key, Wait 10 Seconds. I reset it, stoped for a couple of dayts. Now I have it Back. I contacted GM IRT the TSB (#01044, NHTSA #SB623553). There response. The only recall for my 98C5 is for the lap belts. If we can assist you in any other matters, please contact us. They were a lot of help. According to C5 Solutions, If I pull passenger foot fuse numbers 25 and 29, it should fix the problem. I will give it a try. I will keep you posted.

AL

The last time I brought my car (98) in to get it aligned, I casually asked them about the recall. The dealer told me that they would check on it. When I pulled the car up later, they had fixed it with no charge to me.

Got lucky on that one

I was also lucky enough to find in the owners manual pouch, all of the service receipts. In there was the repair (under warantee) of the column lock. They also replaced both seat belts under a recall as well.
--Drew:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom