Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Service Manual Opinions

Z28ImpalaSS

Corvette
1981 Silver/Blue Coupe & 2001 Navy Blue Convert.
I currently have the Haynes($15.00 - barely useful) and Corvette Shop Manuals($25.00 - a little more useful) for my 81. I see a lot of you also recommend the AIM. Is the loose leaf version good, or the is the CD version better? I have also seen a Service Manual for 1981's that cost around $110.00. Would this also be something worth having? Thanks for your input.:)

Buy the AIM as a looseleaf binder unless you have a computer in your garage to look at the CD while you work on your Vette. The GM service manuals are also very usefull.

Buy the AIM as a looseleaf binder unless you have a computer in your garage to look at the CD while you work on your Vette. The GM service manuals are also very usefull.

I agree. The AIM on CD isn't particuarly practical when working on your car. Spring for the GM chassis and service manual.

:)

Having the actual book is nice, but the CD certainly has it's advantages. Get the CD and print out the pages you need as you need 'em. Then you don't have greasied, torn up pages in your manual. Always a fresh page!
The CD also makes it easier to search for related or non-related topics. Yes, the book has an index and all that, but punch a keyword or two into the Search function of the CD and it will (should) return a lot of relevant areas. Also, the CD should have the ability to zoom in on small areas. Definitely something that you can't do with a book unless you keep a magnifying glass handy.

:thumb

Thanks for the help guys.:) I'll be ordering the AIM soon.:beer

I have always said that there are only two books worth having. The Factory Service Manual (available new from Helm Inc www.helminc.com) and the AIM. The other books like Chiltons, Haynes are way too generic. For '81 the service manual is called the Shop Manual and Helm has it for $75.00. Usually can find them used on eBay.

Having the actual book is nice, but the CD certainly has it's advantages. Get the CD and print out the pages you need as you need 'em. Then you don't have greasied, torn up pages in your manual. Always a fresh page!
The CD also makes it easier to search for related or non-related topics. Yes, the book has an index and all that, but punch a keyword or two into the Search function of the CD and it will (should) return a lot of relevant areas. Also, the CD should have the ability to zoom in on small areas. Definitely something that you can't do with a book unless you keep a magnifying glass handy.

:thumb
I agree!! I don't know what I'd do without my Stand Alone Program for the later model cars!Look it up,Print it up,and head to the shop!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I have always said that there are only two books worth having. The Factory Service Manual (available new from Helm Inc www.helminc.com) and the AIM. The other books like Chiltons, Haynes are way too generic. For '81 the service manual is called the Shop Manual and Helm has it for $75.00. Usually can find them used on eBay.
I did end up buying the AIM from MidAmericaMotorworks:), and a 1981 Shop Manual:), both on ebay. Thanks again for all of your input.

Yes, the cover looks just like the 79' GM manual I have.
Thanks a lot. I should receive that disc soon. I wanted to buy the printed manual but the shipping was around 150 USD to Estonia from Helm!!! Quite ridiculous. I have a printer anyway so I will just print the stuff I need ;)

By the way, I work in Air Traffic Control and we had an American Army aircraft fly to our main airport a few days ago with the exact DUKE94 callsign! Coincidence?

By the way, I work in Air Traffic Control and we had an American Army aircraft fly to our main airport a few days ago with the exact DUKE94 callsign! Coincidence?

Wasn't me, I'm still in Michigan where there is snow on the ground.

Wasn't me, I'm still in Michigan where there is snow on the ground.
Hehe :L I just thought that perhaps you are somehow affiliated with military aviation or something. No worries.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom