Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Service Today

NC2Stay

Corvette
1995 Coupe, Torch Red, 6-speed, chrome sawblades
I have had my Vette for about 13 months now. Some things I did right away, some things had to wait a bit.

Based on the great advice I get here, I had her in the shop today to have the radiator pulled, flushed, and cleaned - and the ZF tranny oil replaced.

I got the tranny oil at the local BMW place - $10/quart, but it was the right stuff (Castrol TWS Motorsport). Went in without a hassle and now she definitely shifts smoother (especially into reverse) and there is less synchro whine.

The radiator was another story! What a pile of gunk down there - lots of pine straw, leaves, sticks, etc. Nothing big, but the A/C condenser and radiator sure were due for a cleaning. Also, flushing the radiator was due, perhaps overdue.

She seems to run a bit cooler, and when I sat at idle without a/c it took a fairly long time until she finally heated up enough to turn the fans on.

Anyhow, it cost a couple of bucks (I am all thumbs myself) but worth it.

Bob

:upthumbs Bob, you will not regret taking care of the items you had done. That will make for a happier motor & tranny. Yea the TWS is expensive but it's cheap insurance comparred to the price of a new & or rebuilt ZF6!

I think it's nice when you find a shop that does good quality work. You get piece of mind that you got what you paid for and if they do the right thing the price is almost not a factor.
Great job! Now go have some fun & use up some rubber!
You may want to consider putting a screen over the air intake for the radiator to stop the debries. Check out the ZR1NetRegistry site, look in the "how to do" section for the radiator screen write-up.
Tom

i agree. the rad is a very important and over looked item, and i see so many fellow vette owners worried about the engine temp. but they never talk about a new rad cap, flush or even a new rad. heck my vette is almost 20 years old. but 6 months ago got a new rad. and cool temps all the time. same with tanny fuild or rear end gear oil, some neve change them???

Yea I don't get that part about not changing the trans & rear fluids either. To me it maybe a slight waste of money but I do both as part of get ready for each summer. Okay, as I just got my Z in Dec 04 let me say I will do both each year. It's just about $50 worth of fluids and if you do the labor maybe a couple of hours of your time. If you're under the car to swap the fuel filter you're 1/2 way there. I mean it's up on stands so the "while we're here" rule applies.
Tom:D

tomtom72 said:
... find a shop that does good quality work...

Yes, I have been very lucky in that respect. I live in a small, beach island town, but there just happens to be a guy here (I guess because he likes it here) who has a small 2-bay shop and does excellent work. He is not exactly cheap, but I guess I consider his rates fair. I probably would not have bought the Vette last year if he wasn't around.

He also doesn't mind at all if I get my own parts, fluids, tires, etc. if it's something he doesn't regularly get or stock himself.

Only problem is, I checked this morning, and find the lower overflow tank is dry. I checked the upper and it's full, but need to stop back and get her topped off. Not sure how this happened, but there are no signs of leaks.

Thanks, Bob

a low over flow bottle is common, your drive home drew more into the rad thats all, you could add some 50/50 mix your self. i kow you don't use your heater alot down there in N.C. but run the heater get coolant flowing out of it once and a while. heater cores are just small rads under the dash, and can corride too.

How often should one change the fluid in a 6 speed. I don't drive mine very often. I change the oil and filter yearly but never really thought about the trans. Well, I tought about it but didn't think it was necessary...it shifts fine. How often should it be changed? Thanks.

The interval on changing is in the book but I went to zfdoc.com and did some reading. They tested a ZF6 using different fluids and they give the resultant loss in viscossity over milage. I came to my own conclusion about what interval I'm going to use based on their results. Every year for me. It's cheap insurance.

Go & read what they have and you can at least make an informed decision about what loss of viscossity you are willing to accept. I think you would enjoy the site and the test results.
:upthumbs
Tom

tigmaned said:
...a low over flow bottle is common...

Yes, I guess so! We topped it off about noon today, and by the time I got home it was down about half of what we put in. When cold, it went down to the cold line.

I will continue to add a bit until we reach steady-state.

BTW, the upper reservoir is full, and my local mechanic did know about the bleeder on the water pump, and used it.

Bob

tomtom72 said:
...Every year for me...

I agree, after reading on the ZF site. I asked my mechanic to get the TWS (if he can, its a BMW part number) so we can do it once a year. There was a definite difference after he put it in.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom