Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Service vehicle soon light comes on every third start up

lilbull624

Corvette
Seems like every 3rd start up my service vehicle soon comes on, the one shop said it was cause the rear defroster wasn't working they broke the damn little attachment now which is another problem but another place said that would not make your service vehicle soon light come on so now I would like to check it myself to see what could be going on

Thanks Derek

Defroster cause Service Vehicle soon? ;LOL

You need to pull your dash DIC codes for us. Auto store scanners will not pull all the 325 or so codes like you can from the drivers seat. PLEASE include the Module I which they show and if the are H or C. Next time the SVS comes on pull your codes BEFORE you turn the engine OFF. If you turn the engine OFF first then most all codes will show as H. You wil have to reset any messages on the DIC if you have any to be able to access the codes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviRjIsy9G4&list=PL7AcRmt53xvQVwDAGikaqYGw6ZivWB-2K

READING YOUR C5 Engine Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

This procedure should be carried out any time you experience a problem with your C5. Most inexpensive store bought aftermarket code readers will ONLY read power train DTC’s. Reading the DTC’s with the C5 built in code reader will allow you to read ALL the modules in the vehicle.

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:
1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold the OPTIONS button
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL button four times within a 10 -second period.

Initially, the on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which will cycle through each module and shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each module. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.

There are two types of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes. More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.

Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.

Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except E/M. Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press RESET To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles. There are a few body module DTC’s that if set will prevent the module from operating properly. Once the DTC is cleared, the module will return to full function. This is not true for power train DTCs.

If you have never read and cleared your codes, there will probably be a lot of old history DTCs. It is recommended that you clear your codes and see if any come back during a driving cycle. Those are the ones that you need to concentrate on diagnosing.

Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5.

NOTE and a WARNING. You can read the DTCs while the engine is running. I pull mine up all the time while driving.
WARNING. Don’t become distracted while reading DTCs while your driving and cause an accident!!!!! Use common sense and drive safe.

These are some very good C5 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) explanation web sites!!! They also explain how to read the DTCs

Here are some very good sites that explain what DTC mean:

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic11755.php

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix when you post your DTCs!!

NOTE!!! Start the car and let it idle. Then take it for a drive and cause the problem to occur. When you return home pull the codes BEFORE you shut off the engine.

Do NOT discount the codes with the H following them. They can provide an audit trail for issues going on with the car. They ARE important in diagnosing problems.

Post ALL the codes that you pull with the engine running..........

Some codes go away WITHOUT setting an H code when you shut the engine off. I suspect you will have several codes that will show C or HC that do NOT show when the engine is turned off.

Mr. Sam

Ok cleared them all took it for a ride this is what came up

40 BCM B0432 H C
28TCS NO COMM.
58 SDM U1040 H C
60 IPC U1040 H C
99 HVAC NO COMM
A1-RDCM B2265 H
BO-RFA C2100
BO-RFA C2115 H C

Defroster cause Service Vehicle soon? ;LOL

You need to pull your dash DIC codes for us. Auto store scanners will not pull all the 325 or so codes like you can from the drivers seat. PLEASE include the Module I which they show and if the are H or C. Next time the SVS comes on pull your codes BEFORE you turn the engine OFF. If you turn the engine OFF first then most all codes will show as H. You wil have to reset any messages on the DIC if you have any to be able to access the codes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviRjIsy9G4&list=PL7AcRmt53xvQVwDAGikaqYGw6ZivWB-2K

READING YOUR C5 Engine Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

This procedure should be carried out any time you experience a problem with your C5. Most inexpensive store bought aftermarket code readers will ONLY read power train DTC’s. Reading the DTC’s with the C5 built in code reader will allow you to read ALL the modules in the vehicle.

The Diagnostic Display Mode is entered with the following procedure:
1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2) Press the RESET button to turn off any warning messages. (i.e. door open, trunk open ect)
3) Press and hold the OPTIONS button
4) While holding OPTIONS, press FUEL button four times within a 10 -second period.

Initially, the on-board diagnostics go into an Automatic Mode which will cycle through each module and shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each module. ( i.e. PCM = 4 codes) If none are present in a given module, you will see No More Codes on the display.

There are two types of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes. More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.

Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a Scan Tester is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.

Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except E/M. Once the display shows Manual Diagnostics, select a module by pressing the OPTIONS button to go forward or the TRIP button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press GAGES to go forward or FUEL to go back.
To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press E/M. If you want to erase codes in a given module, press RESET To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until it displays NO CODES Press OPTIONS to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules.
NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory. If you clear the code/s, and extinguish the Check Engine Light, your emissions status ready will NOT allow you to pass an emissions test until you have completed the required driving cycles. There are a few body module DTC’s that if set will prevent the module from operating properly. Once the DTC is cleared, the module will return to full function. This is not true for power train DTCs.

If you have never read and cleared your codes, there will probably be a lot of old history DTCs. It is recommended that you clear your codes and see if any come back during a driving cycle. Those are the ones that you need to concentrate on diagnosing.

Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information?
First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. The Service Manual is really a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5.

NOTE and a WARNING. You can read the DTCs while the engine is running. I pull mine up all the time while driving.
WARNING. Don’t become distracted while reading DTCs while your driving and cause an accident!!!!! Use common sense and drive safe.

These are some very good C5 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) explanation web sites!!! They also explain how to read the DTCs

Here are some very good sites that explain what DTC mean:

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic11755.php

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix when you post your DTCs!!

NOTE!!! Start the car and let it idle. Then take it for a drive and cause the problem to occur. When you return home pull the codes BEFORE you shut off the engine.

Do NOT discount the codes with the H following them. They can provide an audit trail for issues going on with the car. They ARE important in diagnosing problems.

Post ALL the codes that you pull with the engine running..........

Some codes go away WITHOUT setting an H code when you shut the engine off. I suspect you will have several codes that will show C or HC that do NOT show when the engine is turned off.

Mr. Sam

Will look into these codes today. I want you to look in the passenger foot well behind the access panel in the area of the Fuse box. Check for any moisture in the area.

DTC B0432 is a fault in the rear defroster relay circuitry. The C and H mean that it's a fault which was occurring when you read the codes and it had occurred in the past.

You've got some U-codes all of which imply there are some problems with various modules (traction control, IP cluster, HVAC) communicating over the Class 2 line with the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) which is what puts the codes up on the display. The problems were present when you read codes and have been present in the past.

DTC B2265 is a fault in the right side view mirror position sensing. The H means it's a "history code", i.e.: the fault was not present when you read codes but has been present in the past.

DTC C2100 is a fault with the TPM system, no signal from left front.

DTC C2115 is a fault with the TPM system, no signal from left rear. This fault was present when you read codes and has been present in the past

That you have problems in a variety of systems means you, first, need a Factory Service Manual. You're going to need that just to check all the wiring and connections involved because the FSM will tell you where the components are and how to access them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The rear defroster was off ove the winter the damn shop I took it to I think screwed it up as they took off the part that goes onto it and now its gone

The traction control has come on since my 5th yr I had the car bought it new in 2000 new, but the abs went in 2005 and I really didn't see the need to do expensive abs breaks when it braked better without them so for the last 10 yrs whenever I start the car up the notice comes up about traction and abs I clear it and it goes to the normal odometer reading but its never made the service vehicle soon come on

I do have the service manual

DTC B0432 is a fault in the rear defroster relay circuitry. The C and H mean that it's a fault which was occurring when you read the codes and it had occurred in the past.

You've got some U-codes all of which imply there are some problems with various modules (traction control, IP cluster, HVAC) communicating over the Class 2 line with the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) which is what puts the codes up on the display. The problems were present when you read codes and have been present in the past.

DTC B2265 is a fault in the right side view mirror position sensing. The H means it's a "history code", i.e.: the fault was not present when you read codes but has been present in the past.

DTC C2100 is a fault with the TPM system, no signal from left front.

DTC C2115 is a fault with the TPM system, no signal from left rear. This fault was present when you read codes and has been present in the past

That you have problems in a variety of systems means you, first, need a Factory Service Manual. You're going to need that just to check all the wiring and connections involved because the FSM will tell you where the components are and how to access them.

Good luck.

I'm curious about how you determined the car brakes better without ABS.

In any event, the Service Manual is the place to start. It will help you troubleshoot the faults you want to repair.

Good luck.

I think your TCS or SDM issues are throwing the warning message.

Have you checked out the passenger area yet? I would certainly at least take the cap off the star connector with 9 or 10 wires and take a look. There are 2 and the other one with 4 wires is not your issue.

The Red circle was already on this schematic.

What do I do once that is off ?

I think your TCS or SDM issues are throwing the warning message.

Have you checked out the passenger area yet? I would certainly at least take the cap off the star connector with 9 or 10 wires and take a look. There are 2 and the other one with 4 wires is not your issue.

The Red circle was already on this schematic.

What do I do once that is off ?

I was just looking at that there are two star connectors a you say the top has just a few going to it the bottom one has a bunch probably about ten like you said but Its connected I can't pull it away from wheree it is I start to tug it out like in the picture so I caN take the top off but it won't come easy and Im afraid the wires will rip off , its so tight in there I can't see why its in so tight if its stapled in or what?

If you notice the White part retains the top at the ends. You need to spread them some to release the top.

If you notice the White part retains the top at the ends. You need to spread them some to release the top.

I just cleared all codes and pulle them while driving now its just 3 codes thaT come up

28 TCS 1243
BO-RFA C2100 H C
BO-RFA C2115 H C

I also changed the battery in the remote FOB yesterday then today the car would not start the security light came on I tried 3x then finally it started don't know if this has anything to do with the service vehicle I doubt it but just thought Id mention that as well

Thanks

Sounds like your pellet resistance in the ignition key is not being read correctly. None of your codes would have any affect on your starting issue. Try another key if you have one. If not wipe the pellet and try again.

Sounds like your pellet resistance in the ignition key is not being read correctly. None of your codes would have any affect on your starting issue. Try another key if you have one. If not wipe the pellet and try again.

Yes I figured something with reading the key I did wipe it with alcohol is working now but the remote went off had to reset tht again ...

Anyway I redid the codes and those are the 3 codes that came up again could they be why the service vehicle light comes on now and then ?

Thanks

The TCS one could. Was it H or C?

"Remote went off". Geez, did it go for a stroll?

Real communication helps.

No the remote stopped working had to reprogram it and the alarm went off for some odd reason seems to be ok now I reprogrammed it

The TCS was both H C I cleared just now took it for a short ride now its just the C coming up
TCS C1243 C

I ve been scouring the net trying to figure this out it seems that is the only code up right now the 28TCS 1243...Reading through stuff on here it seems a guy had the same problem and the dealer was saying it was the EBCM they changed that and it didnt help the issue then they changed out the BPMV seems another guy had the same issue on that forum as well and the dealers are whacking them hard and not solving the issue

Now my traction light has come on since 05 I just clear it all the time cause my ABS went way back then and was real expensive to fix just the one and they said all 4 could go anyway i just never had that fixed so the traction control and abs comes on every time i start up but i just clear it never did it make service vehicle come on though

Now it seems this code is something with the brake Brake pressure modulator valve pump motor ?

Could this be from the me hitting the brakes hard to avoid a deer a couple months ago ? As I said in the past it feels like a bit of a bumpy ride like I have a flat spot .

Thanks

Sure Id like to communicate better if you can

Here are the diagnostics for C 1243.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s3s3qxaaybs6rn/2000 C 1243 Diagnostics.pdf?dl=0

You are not going to have the tools to do all of these but it will at least explain the process.

Make sure the motor ground is good. That is G 101 on the left front frame.

Here are ways to try and exercise the pump. The easy way is with a Tech2.

Service ABS/Service Traction Control DTC C1243 H - Corvette Forum

ABS stalled motor Code C1243 - Best Fix - Corvette Forum

C1243 C5 2000 ABS problem - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Let me know if I can help further.

Mr. Sam

Here are the diagnostics for C 1243.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1s3s3qxaaybs6rn/2000 C 1243 Diagnostics.pdf?dl=0

You are not going to have the tools to do all of these but it will at least explain the process.

Make sure the motor ground is good. That is G 101 on the left front frame.

Here are ways to try and exercise the pump. The easy way is with a Tech2.

Service ABS/Service Traction Control DTC C1243 H - Corvette Forum

ABS stalled motor Code C1243 - Best Fix - Corvette Forum

C1243 C5 2000 ABS problem - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Let me know if I can help further.

Mr. Sam

Would the C1243 cause the service vehichle light to come on ? As I said the abs and traction control haven't worked in 8 yrs I just clear that code every time I start the car up but it has never caused the service vehicle to come on , By this pump not working what does it cause is the car ?

Yes, if you don't have ABS you will get the SV message. You still have normal braking, that is not affected.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom