Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shaved doors?

H

heider85

What do you guys think about shaving everything off of a 79. I have already shaved the side markers, mirrors, door handles, and mirrors. Should I just go ahead and shave the doors off? Just a thought I came across today. You never see a car with its doors shaved off, I think this would be sweet and very unique.

By shaving the doors would you need to do the Dukes of Hazard thing to get in. If so I don't think my lady friends would like that to much, guys yes, girls no.

I am shaving off the handles and the antenna on my vette and installing door poppers.

How did you go about shaving the door handles? Install glass from the inside the fill?

Thanks
Mike

Here is my 68 with completed Candy Apple Red paint with shaved doors.

The door solenoids fit perfectly in the curvature of the arm rests of the door panels. It doesnt affect the window because its on the other side of a metal wall of the door.

I think it looks much cleaner and the chrome from the handle and lock don't break the lines of the body in the middle of the car. No mirror is going back on either.

Space Cowboy

Would you happen to have any pics of the exact location ofhte popper and solenoids? Also, how did you go about filling in the handle and lock location?

Thanks
Mike

celerymann22... I will have to get you a shot of the door interior a little later today. The handle and lock was all fiber glassed. If you dont have experience with it, I wouldn't suggest trying it on your own. The guy that is restoring my car use to build boat hulls for PowerCat, so I trust his experience with glass.

Also, the actual rod that controls the lock has been removed because it was in the way of where the solenoid needed to be positioned. The lock will be not used any way, so it was of no great loss. The lock knob is staying for looks of course, it just won't be functional.

I have more than enough experience with fibreglass, just not with corvettes and fibreglass. The company I work for has been using FRP for over 35 years. The one thing I dont know is should you bond the glass to the underside of hte door handle openings then fill, that seems like the only way....
I appreciate any pictures you can get me.
Door solenoids will be in next week once they are in and I like how it works I will start the shaving.

thanks
Mike

Here you go celeryman22... These 3 photos should explain it all as for the positioning. Through in an extra photo of the top of the shaved door where the handle once was.

Geez, I don't think I will have enough room to mount them where you have yours. Not on my 80. I think they may have to go on the inside of the door skin at the bottom under the latch.

Mike

Fortunately for me, it fits perfectly. Had the 68 been designed a little differently, there would be no way for me to get behind the door skin unless I cut a hole in it.

Best of luck with your installation.

Here you go celeryman22... These 3 photos should explain it all as for the positioning. Through in an extra photo of the top of the shaved door where the handle once was.

Hi, I know this is an old thread. Wondering if you could share these pictures again? Trying to replace a door popper kit and think the positioning needs to be better. Thanks!

Welcome to the CAC custom69vette. I'm not sure you will get an answer from Space Cowboy. He hasn't visited us since 03/18/18.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom