Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shelby C4s.... How rare?

T.M.808

Corvette
02 6 speed stage 2 clutch... 19"'mayas... 3"'drop
Aloha gang,
My friend has had this car for years now,he's thinking of selling it. I know of alot of c4's,but don't know much about these.
His car is a 1987 vert,it was bought in calif,sent to carrol shelby. They put on suspension parts,an alcohol injected supercharger,some interior pieces,and has an etched plack on the shroud,"Carrol shelby Tn, car #161. I'll post some pics later.Thanks for any info.Looks like callaway rims on his car too.

I would be interested in learning more. Never heard of it.:confused

I agree. I thought Shelby was knee deep in working on Dodges in the 80s.

I've never heard of a "Shelby Corvette" either and I can confirm that in the mid-80s, Carroll Shelby was virtually "owned" by Chrysler. All the work he was doing back then was proprietary for Chrysler. Back in the 60s, when Lee Iaccoca was at Ford was when Shelby was doing the Cobras and GT350/500 Mustangs. When Iacooca went to Chrysler in the early-80s, he retained Shelby, set him up with a research and development center outside of L.A., and had him do performance development.

While it is possible that Shelby may have done some Vettes, I think it's unlikely that he built 161 or more of them. Had he done that, history would reflect that.

There are pictures of Shelby Super Snake Mustang #1 with a Chevy heart beat on the back window. Bunch of the guys that run Vettes at Arnold, NE put the decals on during the award dinner after the race two years ago.

I've never heard of a "Shelby Corvette" either and I can confirm that in the mid-80s, Carroll Shelby was virtually "owned" by Chrysler. All the work he was doing back then was proprietary for Chrysler. Back in the 60s, when Lee Iaccoca was at Ford was when Shelby was doing the Cobras and GT350/500 Mustangs. When Iacooca went to Chrysler in the early-80s, he retained Shelby, set him up with a research and development center outside of L.A., and had him do performance development.

While it is possible that Shelby may have done some Vettes, I think it's unlikely that he built 161 or more of them. Had he done that, history would reflect that.
I was thinking something similar. I was telling my friend,maybe the #161 means they did 161 cars,of all different makes. I promise i'll get over to his house and snap some pics. This car is for real though. Funny,i've know the owner for about 7 years,rode in the car,went on cruises,changed the oil pan gasket on it,and never even researched it. I'll get some pics up in a few hours.
Oh ya,the car was actually done in calif in 1987,even the the laser etching says "tenn"

OK, this drove me crazy every time I read your post so I did some searching. It is NOT a Shelby supercharger. It is most likely a Carroll Supercharger. Does it look like this??
l98hiresA.jpg

Just trying to give some info.
http://www.blowerworks.net/

Yep,you're correct megtom2,looks like that,only difference is,my friends is alcohol injected,nozzle is at the inlet elbow,tank and pump are infront of the radiator shroud.
After digging thru his paperwork yesterday,and taking a close look at the stamps and numbers,it is a tuner car from the carrol supercharging co. Now known as Blowerworx. The owner is Greg Carrol. They did a great job on the car,suspension and all. Still not sure on the number 161,maybe it's the 161st tuner car they did? I guess my friend is going to contact Greg Carrol.
Sorry for the confusion...

Special C4

I like the others, have never heard of a 'Shelby Corvette' but in the C4 lifeline there was a 'Malcom Konner' limited edition Coupe. (Not sure I spelled the last name correctly) I think it was in 1987 or 1989 model year. But never heard of Carroll Shelby being involved with GM. :eek:hnoes

Shelby had or has a company that modded new or near new cars and trucks.
They did a car I saw on TV once, did not have anything to with any make.
Not sure what the name of the company is or was, but from what I remember of the show, they have done about every manufacture.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom