Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Shift hangup

Djcrisalli

Corvette
2013 427 vert, V.Yellow
2013 "427" vet...sweet as can be...but...lately, running into a "hangup" from 1st into 2nd gear....I make sure I have the shift lever all the way to the left, sliding along, but from time to time, still prevents me from engaging 2nd gear...any thoughts??

Have you bypassed the "computer aided gear selection" (CAGS)?

Have you bypassed the "computer aided gear selection" (CAGS)?

Tuna...thanks for the quick response... I haven't even brought the car in for its first check up...only a few thousand miles. So...I don't know what a "CAGS" is...or what you mean by "bypassing"....

Dan

The manual Vettes get a "Computer aided gear selection" which locks out 2nd and 3rd gear under low throttle and slow speed shifts from 1st gear after the engine has warmed up.

When your shift from 1st hangs up, do you notice a "1-4" light on the dash?
If so, it is an indication that CAGS has been activated.

There are "eliminators" available from several sources that 'bypasses' the CAGS operation at the transmission and allows you to shift from first to any gear and any throttle and speed.

Check out this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_blocking

The manual Vettes get a "Computer aided gear selection" which locks out 2nd and 3rd gear under low throttle and slow speed shifts from 1st gear after the engine has warmed up.

When your shift from 1st hangs up, do you notice a "1-4" light on the dash?
If so, it is an indication that CAGS has been activated.

There are "eliminators" available from several sources that 'bypasses' the CAGS operation at the transmission and allows you to shift from first to any gear and any throttle and speed.

Check out this article: Shift blocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Got it....and, yes...I am beyond the CAGS lock out...no alert on the dash...and bring the RPM up to 4500+.....hmmm....car covered and tucked in for the winter...just thought I'd ask...in spring i will still double check your suggestion....again, thanks for the help...

You might also look at your clutch fluid. I found out that dirty clutch fluid in the slave is a cause for not shifting properly. I went out and looked at mine and it looked like strong coffee. about 20 minutes later I had it changed out and clear as water. Just a suggestion......:w

You might also look at your clutch fluid. I found out that dirty clutch fluid in the slave is a cause for not shifting properly. I went out and looked at mine and it looked like strong coffee. about 20 minutes later I had it changed out and clear as water. Just a suggestion......:w

Thanks Tom..will take a look...

I noticed my clutch fluid getting dark and forming jelly like globs earlier this year in my 427 Vert. I was not having any shifting problems with it but I took it to the dealer for a flush and fresh fluid.

Back in 2008, my 08 coupe clutch stuck to the floor one day. Up to that point it had always shifted well - then it didn't. The clutch fluid in the '08 was almost black and jelly like. The dealer replaced both cylinders and flushed the system. No more problem.

So, checking the clutch fluid on GM stick shift cars is a good idea - even if you are not having any shifting hang ups.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom