Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shift knob

soggytaco

Corvette
96 CE LT4
Does anyone know where I can order a new shift knob ofr my 96 6 speed? I would like to upgrade the factory one to somthing nicer. Also how do I get the old one off? Thanks

To get the old one off, carefully pry up the plastic shift pattern. Then you will see a metal "T" wedged in there. Pull it out carefully with pliers, and the knob will then turn off. I dremelled my "T" down so it wasn't so tight. Now it drops in easy and pulls out by hand. The knob is still nice and snug, though.

If you want a replacement knob, they are like $90 shipped from GMPartsDirect.com if yours is messed up. If you want it in a different color or something, there are a few places that do that. If you want a totally different style, I'm sure there are worlds of choices. I believe the threading is 9/16"-18. I had a T-handled shifter with "ZR-1" engraved on it when I bought my car, though I replaced it with a new stock one (the original stock one sat in the owner's attic and didn't fare that well) as I prefer the stock look/feel. The T-handle did feel nice, though. :)

Good luck on getting that shift knob keeper out.....it is IN there!! GM must use a sledgehammer to put it in.

Jeff from Phoenix told me that his mechanic takes the roof off and then straddles the shifter, uses visegrips, and pulls the keeper out. Compete PITA to get out.

If I do ever manage to get that $*!# thing out, I will also grind it down a bit so it is not as tight.

LannyL81

Hurst makes an incredible shift knob for the ZF6. I love mine.

Larry

Hi, I need some OEM interior parts. GMParts direct.com does not seem to sell any 96 parts. Is there a good source for some small OEM interior pieces?

thanks

LannyL81 said:
Good luck on getting that shift knob keeper out.....it is IN there!! GM must use a sledgehammer to put it in.
Grab the keeper with a NEW pair of Vise-Grips...put the Vise-Grips on has tight as you can...then tap upwards on the Vise-Grips with a small hammer.
That's how I took mine out.

Larry

code5coupe said:
Hurst makes an incredible shift knob for the ZF6. I love mine.

Larry

Although I have a B&M shifter, I also a Hurst knob - in black w/ white lettering of course. ;)

Try Eckler's

soggytaco said:
Does anyone know where I can order a new shift knob ofr my 96 6 speed? I would like to upgrade the factory one to somthing nicer. Also how do I get the old one off? Thanks

I thought I saw new ones available at Eckler's.

hope this helps...

Ted Krempa said:
Hi, I need some OEM interior parts. GMParts direct.com does not seem to sell any 96 parts. Is there a good source for some small OEM interior pieces?

thanks

Call Chris May at Superior Chevrolet. 1-800-728-8267

Tell him you are from the CAC. He will give you great service and a great price!

Tell him Gregory from Chicago told you to call!

Save The Wave! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom