Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Shifter Based on transmission Model (m-12 or t-56) or car model ? I. E. Base, Z06 ....etc.

BlackJackZ06

Corvette
2001 Black on Black/Red C5 Z06 Coupe
I was looking at a Hurst shifter off a c-5 that had a T-56 transmission in it. I have the Z06 with an M-12 transmission. Since the transmission is shifted through a long shaft would the mounting for the shifter be different between the two transmissions ? Hope this makes sense as I'd like to get this shifter. Thanks, Jack

T56 is the manufacturers designation.
M12 is the GM RPO.

Both are six-speed manuals. The Hurst will fit either.

T56 is the manufacturers designation.
M12 is the GM RPO.

Both are six-speed manuals. The Hurst will fit either.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I was looking to know. I guess the follow up question is "Do I really want the Hurst model" ?

I have not used the Hurst Shifter in a C5 yet!!! I can tell you that the 6 speed shifter they make for the 4th Gen Camaros is excellent. Their manufacture processes and quality control produce a high quality product that functions as stated. I also have a Hurst Billet Shifter in the TKO 600 5 speed in my wife's 69 Camaro and a Competition Plus in the 75 Camaro. The shifter in the 69 Vette is the stock original. If you want a tighter shift pattern because of the the shorter throw then go with the Hurst.

I've tested the C5 Hurst on a base six speed, throws are shorter but shift effort went way up and the transmission's slight "notchiness" was amplified by the shifter.

I think the Hurst C5 unit combined with proper shift rod adjustment discussed in the Service Manual, a transmission in good condition and a lubricant change to Red Line D4ATF might have the net shift effort increase somewhat less than was evident in my original test.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom