Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shifter indicator 74 auto

Carrida

Corvette
1974 white ragtop
My 74 auto does not have an indicator on the console to tell you what gear you are in. Is there supposed to be one? There is a light that illuminates the P, R, N, etc... but no indicator

Best I can tell ... NOPE!

Carrida:
Great question ... one I'd asked once before here at CACC. Same as your '74 ... my '71 is ill-equipped. It seems that '68 through '76 have an illuminated PRND21 panel ... but have NO pointer/indicator/needle. I cannot verify that entire year range ... but I got several responses from others who also had no pointer. Also, it seems that '77 through '82 do have a pointer ... along with a subtle change in console/shifter design. I wish mine had a pointer ... at one time I had my shifter completely apart ... searching for vestiges of a pointer mechanism ... all for naught.
JACK:gap

No diff drain plug either!

Carrida:
If you've not yet discovered this ... you may be further disappointed to find that your '74 does NOT have a drain plug in the rear differential. There's a plug on passenger side for fill. To drain will require either: (1) suction-out old gear lube through the fill plug hole ... or ... (2) remove rear diff cover/spring perch mount; this method is MUCH, MUCH more labor intensive than the first ... but permits a more complete removal of any sludge. And ... welcome aboard CACC!!!
JACK:gap

Thanks

we also took the console apart to find out there was NO indicator. Here is one more dumb thing we have found. There is a cable going from the shifter to the steering coloum. If this binds up it locks the keys in the ignition. I ask why all the effort was put into this... and NO shift indicator. way to go GM :booty

Re: Thanks

Carrida said:
Here is one more dumb thing we have found. There is a cable going from the shifter to the steering coloum. If this binds up it locks the keys in the ignition. I ask why all the effort was put into this... and NO shift indicator.

I know that the 73 does not have a shift indicator so would have to assume that the 74 does not either. That cable is part of the anti-theft system. When you take the keys out of the ignition it locks the steering column and locks the shift lever in Park. If it is not in park you cannot take the keys out. A very simple and straight forward system.

tom...

It`s not much of a anti-theft when it jams up and locks your keys in the ignition,had to disconnect it from the the tranny shifter and pull the lever up just to get my keys out of the ignition,never seen another car with this system:booty

Carrida said:
It`s not much of a anti-theft when it jams up and locks your keys in the ignition,had to disconnect it from the the tranny shifter and pull the lever up just to get my keys out of the ignition,never seen another car with this system

Sounds as if the cable needs to be replaced or the lever in the steering column needs to be overhauled. Or take the easy way out and just disconnect the cable, just make sure that the steering column lever is in the unlock position. Won't do much to protect your car but it is the cheap and easy way out. This system is on all GM products from that time frame.

tom...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom