Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter linkage - manual gearbox

Johan

Corvette
1974 red coupe, 1969 yellow vert
I'm installing the shifter linkage. Has the inner holes on the gearbox shift levers any purpose, i.e is it possible to install the linkage to the inner holes and get a shorter throw when shifting?

I'm installing the shifter linkage. Has the inner holes on the gearbox shift levers any purpose, i.e is it possible to install the linkage to the inner holes and get a shorter throw when shifting?

Yes, it is. They all left the factory in the standard "long-throw" position, but the holes in the levers closer to the pivot points are for the "short-throw" position. You'll probably have to re-adjust the linkage to get a clean neutral gate after making the change.

:beer

Ok thanks. Short throw it is.
Anything else that can be done to the shifter to remove some of the play and give the stick a more "tight" feeling?
I've had the shifter apart but it's not mutch to replace in there. Looking in a Paragon catalog, the only internal shifter replacement part they sell is the interlock shim, wich they suggest should be replaced. Mine looks just fine and I can't see how that part could be worn out to any extent?

DSC_0092.jpg

What hurst shifter model did you use that allowed you to use the stock handle? Did the handle bolt directly to it ?

Its actually one of those stock looking handles for the Hurst shifters that all the vendors sell. Its a little expensive($85.00)but worth it.

how big of a pain was it to install the hurst shifter? I have a 81 I want to swap one in. Did you do it with the trans in or out? I might do mine with trans out since the throw out bearing is making noise.

how big of a pain was it to install the hurst shifter? I have a 81 I want to swap one in. Did you do it with the trans in or out? I might do mine with trans out since the throw out bearing is making noise.

The factory shifter is mounted to the transmission cross member. The Hurst shifter mounts to the transmission. If you have the transmission out of the car, you can mount the Hurst to the transmission and do all of your rod adjustments there on the garage floor, saving yourself a bunch of grief. Then remove the shifter and rods, being careful not to change any of your rod adjustments. Re-install the transmission, Hurst shifter and rods and you should be good to go. Your factory shifter and mount will need to be removed to install the Hurst unit. The Hurst unit should also have the provision for hooking up the stock back-up lights switch, so they will still function after the change over.

Sorry for the hi-jack of the OP's question.

The short throw trick with the factory shifter used to be covered in the earlier models owner's manuals.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom