Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifter Not Locking

Auzzie88

Corvette
1988 blue coupe
Whenever I drop the car down into 1,2,or D the shifter does not lock. I can put it in 1 and slide it up into overdrive with one push. Is the cable just loose?Also, what temp a good running condition? She is running at about 225-235(max)?

The shifter only locks in Drive(O). It's not supposed to lock in D, 1, or 2. I believe it's designed to lock there only because that keeps you from shifting into reverse from a forward gear by accident.

Your temp seems a tad high but not so high that you need worry too much. Is the area between the radiator and condenser clean? For some reason that area attracts garbage and that will cause the temps to rise somewhat.

Jeb said:
The shifter only locks in Drive(O). It's not supposed to lock in D, 1, or 2. I believe it's designed to lock there only because that keeps you from shifting into reverse from a forward gear by accident.

That's what I had hoped, just a little weird how easily it floats from D to OD...thanks for the reply Jeb.

The shifter locks only in "P" or "D".

As far as temps, those are high but what is the air temp?? City traffic or out on the open roads?

As mentioned, it's common for dirt and debris to clog the front of the A/C condensor and radiator, resulting in a loss of air flow over the coils. You can direct a stream of water from the back (fan side) to flush out dirt, paper, leaves, small animals, Honda's or whatever gets sucked up from under the car.

Corvettes are called "bottom breathers" in that cooling air (and intake air) flows under the license plate and enters the radiator. Make sure the air dam under the car is in good shape as that is needed to direct the airflow upwards.

Old radiators eventually lose some of the thickness in the metal tubes where the coolant flows simply because of the friction of the coolant flowing through them. This results in a loss of the ability to transfer heat from the coolant. Other problems can be a breakdown of the radiator hoses causing them to collapse and reduce the amount of flow. The fins in the water pump can be eaten away from corrosion and that reduces the amount of coolant passing thru the system. A sticky thermostat can cause a reduction of coolant flow too.

I would do a complete flush of the system, replace the upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, and clean the radiator core. Use a 50-50 mix of the correct coolant and distilled water.

A properly functioning cooling system should not need a lower temp thermostat but you could use a 180 degree 'stat if you stil see high temps after the above maintenance.

Can I install a new shifter to make it lock, or is it the tranny itself? Don't really like the non-locking. It just seems a bit odd, first time vette owner, not to lock. It is a little dirty, but I will clean it out and maybe run so new hoses. I was thinking about putting in a 160 degree thermostat and cold air induction.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom