Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shifting from First to Second

gonetobama13

Corvette
2004 Spiral Gray Metallic Coupe 6-speed
Hi All!

Will someone please tell me the rationale for having to shift from first to fourth when travelling between 15 and 19 MPH? I first missed that part when reading my 2004 owners' manual and thought I wasn't shifting properly. (I hope I didn't mess up the trans by forcing it into second.) The manual talks about being in a gas saving mode, but it still doesn't make sense to me. Is this "feature" in previous years' models as well? Also, is there a way that this can be overridden by the GM service department? Thanks.

John K.:confused

I just sent you an email on another subject.

As to this problem most catalog places (MAD, Ecklers, etc) sell what's called a CAGS eliminator. Do a search on CAGS and you should find a bunch of information. I believe Mrs. Schroeder had a detailed description on the C5 forum.

Ron
Baldie88

CAGS has been around since the 6 speed was first installed in 1989. It does save fuel and it is quieter. It's a CAFE thing that GM likes. Besides locking out 2nd and 3rd, it locks out 5th and 6th also.

In my experience, you can't force it into second without first going all the way to fourth or back to first. This seems to satisfy the CAGS logic and it opens the gate to allow any gear.

You probably need to buy a CAGS eliminator and install in. Mid America (603-703), <20 bucks. It's easy to install and you'll never be bothered by the CAGS again - except to see the "1 to 4" light on the dash.

The CAGS on our 03 Vette still works but we hardly ever notice it now. My wife and I like to feel and hear the motor sing, so we usually never encounter the CAGS. When we do, it's usually in a situation where 4th gear is just as good as any other gear and we just press on.

Enjoy.

Thanks Guys. Two things are apparent to you about me by now. One, I'm a newby owner of a Vette. And two, I haven't been reading CAC forums for long. I checked out Mrs. Schroder's well documented responses as well as others and realized that this subject has been discussed for a long time. One more question, though. Will the altering of the CAG affect my GM warranty in any way? I still have 35 months/35,500 miles left on it.
John K.
:v

Best way to hadnle the problem is to up a little over 2 1/2 rpms then it will go away and you can shift. I have the first to four shift it is useless. I dont want to shift to fourth when im sitting in traffic!

It absolutely will not effect your warranty. By having CAGS, we saved on the "gas guzzler" tax.

Welcome to the :CAC

1-4 Shift Light

Either start out slow and shift or take it over 20MPH and it goes away. It's a pain but there are ways around it without installing anything. Fortunately the car has enough torque to go into 4th and still be able to accelerate. I think if you have the HUD and use it you avoid seeing that annoying light anyway. I only have my 2003 about three weeks and at first it bothered me but now I simply know how to avoid it.:cool :w

Thanks to all for your input. After 500 miles, I am starting to get used to it.

I've had the 03 for 5k. I think I've seen it a couple of times. I usually pretty hard off the line - its never been a problem and I drive in some pretty heavy traffic every-other day.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom