Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Shifting Issues - 2000 C5

Corvette
2000 White Coupe
I recently purchased a 2000 C5 with 93,000 miles. I have found that shifting into 1st and 2nd causes grinding (only sometimes). Has anyone else had this issue? Would it be a problem with clutch or maybe the syncro's? I have only chatted with my local mechanic as I dont want to pay for a "search" until I have a thought about what it could be. Thank you all in advance.

I recently purchased a 2000 C5 with 93,000 miles. I have found that shifting into 1st and 2nd causes grinding (only sometimes). Has anyone else had this issue? Would it be a problem with clutch or maybe the syncro's? I have only chatted with my local mechanic as I dont want to pay for a "search" until I have a thought about what it could be. Thank you all in advance.

It could be a problem with either the clutch or the transmission and with 93,000 miles on the car, either is certainly possible.

First thing I'd do is flush and bleed the clutch hydraulic system. Also, if the trans lube has never been changed, I'd do that, too. Then road test the car and see of the problem persists.

Thanks Hib

I will have both of these things done and see if this will rectify this situation. The overall feel, other than 1 and 2, is very good. Thank you again.

I will have both of these things done and see if this will rectify this situation. The overall feel, other than 1 and 2, is very good. Thank you again.

Have the shifter adjustment done also, it is extremely important for proper shifting and it does go out of adjustment over time. Generally speaking if the transmission shifts into first and reverse good, and the clutch is not slipping under a load then the clutch is probably ok. Redline D4 ATF fluid in the transmission will also make a noticeable improvement in shifting quality. These are the basics that should be done first (shifter adjustment, and transmission fluid change while examining the fluid for any contaminants/debris) for proper diagnosis. Good luck with it. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom