Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shifting w/ hyper tech chip

T

tom_85_vet

I spent the money for the Hypertech ThemoMaster chip and noticed the in town shifts are off. I have an 85 w/700r4. What happens is at low speed (about 25 mph) the transmition is in a high gear and you feel that you need to speed up or slow down. I believe the chip has settings that set the shift points. Is this something I have to live with, a bad chip or can it be fixed? I see a product in Mid America which is a switch that appearantly fixes the problem, how?

Tom,

The chip usually delays the speed that it hits high gear. Are you saying it hits high gear at a lower speed than stock?

Have you made any adjustment to the TV cable?

I agree that the chip delays shifting up so that you can red line during an acceleration, but I am confused by the high gear at low speeds. I did no work on any cables (in fact what is a tv cable(I have one on my TV)). Any info on the Mid American shift switch part, it seems to desribe my problem?

Maybe chip also delays down shifts?

BTW, I ordered the Accel fuel injectors. I looked at the RC Engineering injectors, but they seemed a little expesive. I do believe they are better (SS), but I think they are more for racing and specialized applications.

The cable comes from the transmission and snaps on next to the throttle cable at the front of the engine. It has a push button just back from where it mounts to the throttle shaft.

What you want to do is press the button in, reset the switch, then get in the car and push the throttle to the floor (with the engine off). You should hear it click twice. This is the factory default setting.

You can manualy push the button and then move the cable back and forth. It will change how the car down shifts, and shifts in general. Your cable may be slipping putting it in whimp mode.

I believe the technical term is Detent (check that spelling) cable.

I love it, another thing to tweak. Being an engineer I have my hands in everything, now something else to adjust. I have had my vette two years now and understand why people love their vettes!!!
Chris, thanks for the info.

Tom,
I installed the stage 11 on my 85 without encountering this problem. If your shift pattern was OK before installing the chip, I would tend to lean on a bad chip versus adjustments. Have you given Hypertech a call? They are good at responding quickly. My issue was detonation which even after setting base timing I'm still toying with.
Good luck. Isn't it fun having something to do every night when you get home from work
:J

Thanks c4ever
I believe that the problem popped up after the chip installation, but I did clean out the TB. Cleaning the TB required me to remove all the cables, including the tv cable. I will follow procedure given by 69myway. If no luck, I will call Hypertech. BTW, I lived in Plantation, FL for 15 years and my mother and brother live in Coral Springs. Must be hard to drive a vette with all the old retired residents in Coral Springs.

I think all the old timers moved out after I started cruising the neighborhood. :D

Actually I think I'm the old man. With age comes wisdom and reckless abondonment.:_rock

Actually I'm from NYC, just got down on a transfer this summer. Love being able to drive the vette ALL year on roads that don't swallow my front end.:cool

Thanks for the info on the shift cable. I adjusted the TV cable several times before getting it just right. My problem was not with chip, but with the tv cable adjustment. BTW, I am very pleased with the hyper chip (w/160 thermo). Just the lower operating temp was worth it. I just wish I could adjust more of the settings like later model vetts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom