Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shiftless Automatic in a C4

Still no third gear.

I had the trans service done and didn't get a chance to see what was in the bottom of the pan.

The place I took it had pits instead of lifts, so it wasn't possible to see what was going on. The place was only two miles from the shop so there wasn't alot of driving done afterwards. The mechanic added something to the fluid that is suppose to help free up sticking parts in the trans. He suggested driving more that just a couple of miles to see if 3rd gear comes back.

We'll see what happens in the next couple of days. 1st to second is much smoother now.

Ken

Cruiser

You don't need third to cruise downtown. ;)
When you get time, upload a picture.

It's sounds like a one way valve in the race has gone.
Had a similar problem in my van.

It couldn't get into top gear. A one way valve died on me. Rebuilt the tranny.

-P

Wholey

Sounds like you got a hole in the road that you pour money into. Good luck with your baby.
--Drew:w

Well, the vette vortex had been upgraded to an F5.

Just found out that it will cost me about $1,000.00 for a transmission rebuild.

Well, the paint job and weather stripping will have to wait for a while.

Ken

Buyer Beware ! ! !

Ask if they are replacing all the valves and if they are re-using the torque converter.

My last rebuild, they re-used some components. :mad

I realized that this is not good, one blustery -22 F winter night 160 miles from anywhere in northern Alberta sitting in my Ford Areostar Flashlight. (Headlights and motor worked).

The good thing about that is: I can have kids in 100 years once the 'samples' thaw. :eek:

1) From Webster and others I have found the word to be spelled ...vacuum. Not sure where vacumme came from possibly French...2) just got back from Pace Parts...new tranny from goodwrench will cost 1080.00 for stock 700r-4 and street/race goes for 1400.00.Pace Parts They will send you a nice catalog chock full of Goodwrench Performance Parts with everything you could ask for as far as the motor and drivetrain goes. By the way....the have a caprice/police tpi motor, new for 1400.00.....

1080.00 for a rebuilt sounds great, but 1,000.00 for a complete rebuild by a local expert and not having to get dirty sounds much better.

A new TPI motor sounds tempting, I'll have to take a look.

Ken

Page 142 of Goodwrench catalog....700-r4, factory rebuild, 3 year , 50,000 mile warranty, includes torque convertor...$1080.00
Available at most GM dealers.
Gm #HP-74-1V 4l60 (700-r4) Street/Strip Auto for $1790.51
Personally , I would go with the Goodwrench tranny. Got one for my Blazer year before last and it has worked great on and off road. Best deal around....IMHO...good luck...

Go with GM

My .02

I got burned REAL HARD from my local expert.

Mike

Thanks for all the help guys, but I'm still on the fence with this one.

You are all probably right about the GM factory trans, but by the time I buy one, pay for shipping and pay someone to have it put in, I'm up around $1,500.00+.

This local guy has been recommended by several garages in the area and he stands by his work.

If I had the garage and the time to do this myself, this would be a no brainer.

I'll let you all know how I made out.

Ken

Get the warranty in writing!!!!!

What is the warranty he's offering
90 day?

Now a 700r4 to a professional isn't rocket science..
but the HASSLE I went through was enough to make me VERY gun shy.

The 3 year warranty ( I think ) is well worth the extra $$$$$ and your right 500 bucks is a lot of coin when your sitting on the fence.

Mike ( pushin ya off the fence )

Mike,

I took it to the transmission shop today. I'm in a time crunch and need to get it fixed.

The guy gives a 6 month warranty. Not much I know, but don't have alot of options at this point.

In 6 months, I may be in a better financial position to buy a GM rebuilt if needed.

Ken

Not shiftless anymore.

Trany seems to shift fine now.

Cost 1,083.00, and came with new clutches, 2/3rd gear band, torque converter and 6 moth warranty.

Now all I have to do is:

Replace all the weather-stripping
Fix the breaks
Fix the passenger side headlight assembly
Dash Cluster
Heater/AC
replace missing lug nuts
shocks
all suspension bushings
ball joints
carpets
Door panels
Removable roof

Shouldn't take any more than 3 to 5 k and a couple of years to do.

I bought this car as project car, and boy did I get what I paid for.

Ken

I warned YA

But ya love her dontcha?

Mike

Re: Not shiftless anymore.

kmcewan said:
Now all I have to do is:

Replace all the weather-stripping
Fix the breaks
Fix the passenger side headlight assembly
Dash Cluster
Heater/AC
replace missing lug nuts
shocks
all suspension bushings
ball joints
carpets
Door panels
Removable roof

Shouldn't take any more than 3 to 5 k and a couple of years to do.

I bought this car as project car, and boy did I get what I paid for.

Ken
Glad you got your baby back in motion. I know where to get a good roof panel if you are interested...$650 (for the blue one). I still have to do my brakes too but they aren't really giving me problems yet, I just want to get 13" on and that will require larger rims. Good luck on your project.
--Drew

So what's next?

Were here to inform......
Since you can now GO

I suggest brakes, so you can STOP!

What are the current symptoms?
What have you inspected/observed so far on the brake system?

Mike

Still have to get the vette reinspected.

I've got everything repaired except the air cleaner. They want to see a stock (pre 1984) type aircleaner with thermostatic control on a carburated motor. I've been looking and haven't been able to find one.

This will only be temporary because I've decided to replace the carburator and intake with a crossfire from another 84. Even if the performance may not be there, I'd rather have the car near original so I won't have to put up with the inspection nonsense every year.

Brakes,

One of the rotors feels like it has a slick spot. I can feel the pads slip on at least one of the wheels. It's noticeable when you put firm pressure on the pedal.

I'm hoping that the rotors have enough meat on them to do one more turn.

The adventure continues.

Ken

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom