Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shimmy when targa is off

bsponsler

Corvette
1995 dark metalic red coupe
I have a 95 coupe and when the targa is off, she really shimmys around 30mph but tends to quiet down with the faster speeds when the top is in it rides very nice. I had a 89 and dont remember this being noticeable in it. I have been told this is common but my 89 was not as bad. any advice. thanks. Brent

Probably normal for you car. Some are more noticable than others. What suspension do you have on the 95?

I hate the way my car feels without the roof inplace. On the other hand, my wife had a 93 base suspension car and she didn't complain at all about the ride with the roof off. Go figure.

Tuna said:
Probably normal for you car. Some are more noticable than others. What suspension do you have on the 95?

I hate the way my car feels without the roof inplace.

I don't like driving with mine out either, the car flexes too much. I take it off RARELY, when the temp is just so, mostly at my passenger requests.

There are three things you could do, either singley or, in combination which will improve this problem, X-brace (stock) an verts, Camber Brace, and crossbar. These products are all available from RD racing.

I have te later two which much improved the flex, but I still don't like the top out. They vastly improved the handling of the car with the roof in as well, and they wre simple bolt on instalations :w

bsponsler said:
I have a 95 coupe and when the targa is off, she really shimmys around 30mph but tends to quiet down with the faster speeds when the top is in it rides very nice. I had a 89 and dont remember this being noticeable in it. I have been told this is common but my 89 was not as bad. any advice. thanks. Brent

It's probably normal, but I did have a bad front tire that would hit a harmonic at 53mph and cause the same thing.

when the top is out are your windows up when this happens? mine shakes bad if i put the windows up until i hit about 70 mph as long as they are down it's silky smooth.

It was 'sposed to be a T-Top. That's why you have to step in over the sills. There's a brace you can get that goes where the top sits but it's kind of ugly. The x brace eats ground clearance and adds weight. Camber brace is helpful.

I like it because it makes my Hula Doll on the dash shake more with the top out.

I put an R-DRacing Cross Frame under the car and eliminated 95% of the flexing. I enjoy driving with the top removed now..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom