Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shocks and tires

Bioscache2

Corvette
2001 Blk Coupe
Ok two part question here. I did a quick search but the info was either dated (wrt prices) or not completely answered.

The first is I think its time to replace my shocks. I have the F45 on an 01 coupe w/ 70k. I've heard that I can upgrade to F55, does anyone know the price. Also, if I don't mind losing the selectability can I go to z06 shocks instead and would that be cheaper or more expensive?

The second part is tires. After only a year my rear tires are badly worn on the edges with respect to the car (so only the left side of the tire on the rear left, etc). I had the alignment done when I got the tires and the front are good and so is the inside of the rear tires. Should I just get the alignment done again or is it something else like the shocks going as mentioned above.

Bioscache2 said:
I had the alignment done when I got the tires and the front are good and so is the inside of the rear tires.
I can only answer your second question. If your rear tires are wearing only on the outside edges, I can't think of any explanation other than alignment (assuming that frame or suspension damage can be ruled out). The C5 alignment spec calls for slight negative camber, and the Z06 even more so. Again... assuming no damage, outer edge tire wear is an indication of positive camber.
camber.JPG

HTH!

Mr. Lucky said:
I can only answer your second question. If your rear tires are wearing only on the outside edges, I can't think of any explanation other than alignment (assuming that frame or suspension damage can be ruled out). The C5 alignment spec calls for slight negative camber, and the Z06 even more so. Again... assuming no damage, outer edge tire wear is an indication of positive camber.

HTH!
Or excessive rear Toe in!!!!!! C5 rear suspension naturally go more neg camber and pos toe-in when squatting!!(Due to the Geometrics of the suspension!!) Like when you take off like a Rocket,and the rear Squats!! Driving habits have allot to do with tire ware on these cars!!!! Same go's for the front when it comes up or down under heavy breaking or cornering!!!! After having a issue with the inside of front tires and outside of LR and inside RR and Severe "Bump Steer" In the first 1,500---3,000 miles I had it to 2-3 alignment shops and they said it was with in spec's,set the toe and $89.95 and I go!! My car did have a slight bump in the rear at 757 miles!! (Replaced rear bumper reinforcement,repaired 2 in.crack in Qtr.,and gouge in bumper fascia) My muffler did hit the tire,and this is probly why my W/B was short!! But here's what I did and over 11,000 mi on new Kumho's now,and there doing Great!!:upthumbs http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=726528&postcount=11

Bioscache2 said:
Ok two part question here. I did a quick search but the info was either dated (wrt prices) or not completely answered.

The first is I think its time to replace my shocks. I have the F45 on an 01 coupe w/ 70k. I've heard that I can upgrade to F55, does anyone know the price. Also, if I don't mind losing the selectability can I go to z06 shocks instead and would that be cheaper or more expensive?

I'll try the first question. Yes you can upgrade to the F55 but its WAY expensive. I've read on another forum of someone upgrading there F45 to F55, the F55 shocks and control module (used) was $800+! Yes you can go with Z06 shocks for much less, If you go this route look for '04 Z06 shocks as I've heard they change that year and are considerable better. Another option would be Bilstein sport shocks ~$300 for all 4. I have head they are very good shocks and a vast improvement over the F45s.

(I have the F45 shocks also and the right rear is bad, I've been doing a lot of research on what to do with the suspension, now if I can get the wife to let me spend the money)

c5y2k said:
I'll try the first question. Yes you can upgrade to the F55 but its WAY expensive. I've read on another forum of someone upgrading there F45 to F55, the F55 shocks and control module (used) was $800+! Yes you can go with Z06 shocks for much less, If you go this route look for '04 Z06 shocks as I've heard they change that year and are considerable better. Another option would be Bilstein sport shocks ~$300 for all 4. I have head they are very good shocks and a vast improvement over the F45s.

(I have the F45 shocks also and the right rear is bad, I've been doing a lot of research on what to do with the suspension, now if I can get the wife to let me spend the money)

Thanks for the tip, how much of a difference is there between the Bilstein sports and the 04 z06 shocks?

Bioscache2 said:
Thanks for the tip, how much of a difference is there between the Bilstein sports and the 04 z06 shocks?

From what I have read I think the bilstein's are a little bit stiffer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom