Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Shocks bad at 56K

Paul Higg

Corvette
2007 Monterey Red
My shocks are and have been leaking and now it rides with rear end sideslip.

2007, stock.
56K miles.
Just put brand new tires on it, alignment, and brakes.

Does anyone have an FSM with the R&R of these shocks?

Anyone else have problems with them? Did you know GM is VERY proud of their shocks? There's no aftermarket shocks that I can find and they want $630+ for the rears each and $730 each for the fronts. Yikes! This is a lot of money.

Thanks.

Shocking!

My shocks are and have been leaking and now it rides with rear end sideslip.

2007, stock.
56K miles.
Just put brand new tires on it, alignment, and brakes.

Does anyone have an FSM with the R&R of these shocks?

Anyone else have problems with them? Did you know GM is VERY proud of their shocks? There's no aftermarket shocks that I can find and they want $630+ for the rears each and $730 each for the fronts. Yikes! This is a lot of money.

Thanks.

I have a 2008 Base Coupe with 72K miles, and is fine. But I just read about the C7's soon-to-happen recall for rear shocks leaking. Could this be something that they new but now they are bringing it up because of all the turmoil about previous unreported problems? I don't know who to believe anymore in this decaying GM. That is a lot of money to invest in "shocks"

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Base Coupe with 72K miles, and is fine. But I just read about the C7's soon-to-happen recall for rear shocks leaking. Could this be something that they new but now they are bringing it up because of all the turmoil about previous unreported problems? I don't know who to believe anymore in this decaying GM. That is a lot of money to invest in "shocks"

I didn't know that about the C7's. Yeah, GM is tanking, I looked at the new Vettes but there were a lot of things I didn't like about them.

I'm hoping someone here has a copy of the FSM to help me replace them when I get them.

These are the magnetic ride shocks. OEM's are extremely expensive. If I replace them with shocks with nop plugs I'll have a DIC message and can't drive over 80 MPH, or so I read.

On the rears all the fluid is gone. The car rides horribly. I don't even want to drive it till it's fixed which might be a while. :ugh

Regular OEMs are $59.00 each on Rock Auto. KYBs are $80 something, if you want to go cheap and disable youor adjustable shocks in favor of the base set-up. You can get a adapter to disable the magnetic ride control at Mid America.

Last edited:
I saw that Eckler's has "adapters" that allow you to avoid a DIC message and also allow you to go over 80 MPH.

But I would prefer OEM's with magnetic ride control.

All I'm asking people here is if they have any paperwork from an FSM like I had on my C4 for the R&R of the shocks.

That would help a lot as I have never replaced these before.

Regular OEMs are $59.00 each on Rock Auto. KYBs are $80 something, if you want to go cheap and disable youor adjustable shocks in favor of the base set-up. You can get a adapter to disable the magnetic ride control at Mid America.

Well, I looked at Mid America and Ecklers. I like what I see but for one huge problem. It says in the PDF that I would have to cut a blue wire in the car at a module. I have no idea where this module is. Ever seen this?

Well, I looked at Mid America and Ecklers. I like what I see but for one huge problem. It says in the PDF that I would have to cut a blue wire in the car at a module. I have no idea where this module is. Ever seen this?

Not a clue, but if you want to maintain the original configuration, it doesn't matter. Just a thought - most OEM shocks aren't made to be rebuilt, because they are crimped and/or welded. I've never heard of a rebuild of that shock, but maybe it's possible.

I'm anxious to see if anyone else has gone down that road. :thumb

Not a clue, but if you want to maintain the original configuration, it doesn't matter. Just a thought - most OEM shocks aren't made to be rebuilt, because they are crimped and/or welded. I've never heard of a rebuild of that shock, but maybe it's possible.

I'm anxious to see if anyone else has gone down that road. :thumb

I have changed my mind out of financial necessity. I don't really want to spend three grand on GM's stupid shocks. If I can figure out this blue wire thing I'll go with that kit and Billstiens.

Have you tried salvage yards? There are lots of low miles cars in those yards, and most yards will guaranty their parts for at least 90 days. That's enough to see if they leak - or have leaked.

BTW, Rock Auto is asking $529 for the OEM fronts and $580 for the OEM rears before discounts. It's like buying parts for a European sports car.

Last edited:
Have you tried salvage yards? There are lots of low miles cars in those yards, and most yards will guaranty their parts for at least 90 days. That's enough to see if they leak - or have leaked.
I considered it but I would imagine they would leak too or have leaked.

True, but they are new GM so.. ;)

Well I looked at all of them on Ebay and none are for 2007's. They have them from 2013 - 2008 only.

Now, does anyone know where the magnetic ride control module is located so I can cut a wire to it?

Shocking!

Well I looked at all of them on Ebay and none are for 2007's. They have them from 2013 - 2008 only.

Now, does anyone know where the magnetic ride control module is located so I can cut a wire to it?

Paul,
Ecklers should be able to tell you where the module is or it should be included in the instructions with the kit. What happens if you install the replacement shocks and leave the wire alone?
Another thought; the blue wire should be close to the shocks because it controls the ride, you just have to get a good light under the car and enough room to work. I would just get the replacements from Ecklers and figure out the rest while installing them, it will all fall into place. It is for sure a lot better than spending $3K on factory replacements!

Paul,
Ecklers should be able to tell you where the module is or it should be included in the instructions with the kit. What happens if you install the replacement shocks and leave the wire alone?
Another thought; the blue wire should be close to the shocks because it controls the ride, you just have to get a good light under the car and enough room to work. I would just get the replacements from Ecklers and figure out the rest while installing them, it will come to place. It is for sure a lot better than spending $3K on factory replacements!

If I leave the wire UNcut I will have a permanent DIC message and what's worse, it limits the speed to 80 MPH. So that's not an option.
In the PDF on Mid America and Eckler's they were pretty vague, saying you need to cut a blue wire near the module. I would imagine it has to be at the module as it probably branches off to all four. So I'd have to find that module. Looking at FSM's now on Ebay. $285! Yikes, paid less for my C4 FSM.

It looks like it has to be in the cabin as it does not look like it's protected from the environment. I don't want to start to tear the car apart without an FSM. But you're right, the instructions may have where it's located. If they don't then I have no choice but to get an FSM.

I was really hoping someone here would have an FSM and copy the pages and email them to me. I used to do that all the time here years ago with my C4. It helped a lot of guys back then.

When I bought this car it had the 3LT package with drilled rotors, and the stupid mag ride control. If I ever buy a C7 I will never buy that option. I have read a lot of bad things about it and now there's a recall for leaks?

You should have seen mine. All four were CAKED with grease from leaking when I had it on a lift to have new tires installed. I cleaned them thoroughly then I drove 200 miles. I then jacked each wheel in the garage and removed the wheel and inspected and sure enough, black fluid all over the place. The rears are especially bad. I'll bet there's just a few drops of GM's precious, patented magnetic fluid. I guess it SEEMED like a good idea in theory but if they leak what good is it? The car drives REAL squirrelly especially in turns. It has a lot of sideslip like being on a boat. :ugh You should have seen my other set of tires. I think the shocks wore them out on the edges, inner and outer. Michelin Pro Pilot Sports +'s ZP. Bought the same.

Simplicity

If I could order a brand new C7 without all the gadgetry that is tackled on to these newer models, I would. Don't need no HUD, power seats or windows, memory seats, heated seats, cameras, ride control, trip computer, auto this or auto that, etc.
Vettes should have stayed simple, sports minded vehicles, rough and raw with sweat producing joy. Not sophistacated/sensored machines like Cadillacs or Linlcolns. My first C3 Vette didn't even have power brakes or steering, not even a/c, and it was more joyious to drive, ride and maintain than my 2008. Just my opinion!

If I could order a brand new C7 without all the gadgetry that is tackled on to these newer models, I would. Don't need no HUD, power seats or windows, memory seats, heated seats, cameras, ride control, trip computer, auto this or auto that, etc.
Vettes should have stayed simple, sports minded vehicles, rough and raw with sweat producing joy. Not sophistacated/sensored machines like Cadillacs or Linlcolns. My first C3 Vette didn't even have power brakes or steering, not even a/c, and it was more joyious to drive, ride and maintain than my 2008. Just my opinion!

Well, I agree to a certain point. I HAVE to have a HUD. It's very difficult driving my wife's car without one. I'm that used to it. I actually think all cars should have a HUD, it would prevent some accidents.

I looked at the C7's and I didn't like some of the crap you're talking about. But my MAIN peeves were these:

"Summer only tires". Huh?
7 speed manual transmission, have you seen this? Not only is the throw short like all Vettes but it's very narrow so you could accidentally go from first to a higher gear.
Now you have to PAY for GPS, I like my DVD GPS a LOT and I'm not about to pay $30 a month to use it like on my wife's new Hyundai Veloster.
They have "ECO" mode which will shut down four cylinders. To heck with that nonsense. Can you imagine when that system messes up? I can see some serious problems electronically later in the life of the car.
No CD player! I LIKE to make my own music CD's. I don't want to make playlists and fiddle with an iPod or iPhone for music. Again, I like to keep my eyes firmly on the road.
I have my car loaded with all those bells and whistles except a camera (my wife has it and big whoop). I have heated everything, seats, mirrors, but here in GA you never need it. I don't need a lot of that stuff you mentioned either. Too much to go wrong later with higher miles.

Just my two cents. ;)

Paul, long time no hear from you. I see that you picked up a C6.

in theory, the mag ride is pretty neat, in practice I think they have had their problems. Looking to update to a C6 myself and wasn't sure about those f55 cars. This has given me a little insight.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom