Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Shocks bad at 56K

Paul, long time no hear from you. I see that you picked up a C6.

in theory, the mag ride is pretty neat, in practice I think they have had their problems. Looking to update to a C6 myself and wasn't sure about those f55 cars. This has given me a little insight.

Hi Tom! How the heck are you? Yeah, I wrecked my gray C5. Made money on it though even though I only had it like six months.

Anyway, I agree. From what I've been reading and researching the mag ride control is garbage. Even the C7's have a recall for them!

I'm gonna go with Billstien's and the F55 simulator plugs but I'll have to cut a wire at the module and since I have no idea where said module is I ordered an FSM today as I plan on keeping this car. It has 56 or 57 K on it and it's in excellent shape except for the shocks. ALL the fluid leaked out. I have an awesome warranty that covers everything but shocks, wiper blades, and batteries but it runs out after five years which is next December as I'll never put 100K on it before then. So I'll need the FSM to do my own maintainence on it as I did on the C4.

Hope you get yourself a C6. I love it. Better than the C4 or C5.

Update

Well, if anyone has leaking F55 shocks I finally found out what to do.
I contacted the manufacturer of the shock simulators.
There's two things I can do.
The first I can't do because I don't have a programmer but instead of buying the simulators which are nothing more than shorting plugs, you can actually program the car to not see an F55 system so you can drive over 80 and not have a DIC message.
The second is what I'm gonna do and that's use the plugs. I ordered them from Casper Electronics online, they make them. I spoke with a guy who knows all about this system. They were $54 cheaper from them versus Eckler's or Mid America. Anyway, he said the wire that I thought I had to cut was originally only for the 2003. He said they won't even sell a kit for the 2003's anymore because GM has made so many modifications. So I can use them, they're easy to plug in and no wire to cut.
The module by the way is located in the rear compartment, easy to get to.
So I'm ordering Billstien's from Eckler's but they're back ordered till August, no one it seems has any. I also have an FSM coming from Ebay.
No more hassle with magnetic ride control and leaking shocks. I've been doing a lot of research and it seems a LOT of C6's with this system have leaking shocks.
So now I know. Hope this may help anyone else in the same boat.
Best regards,
Paul

Paul, I just recently bought Bilsteins from Summit. Several places that I tried said back order, I even had an order with a company that said they were on national back order for more than a month and a half. found out Summit had them and they match the price and I had them in less than a week. Might try them. :w

Paul, I just recently bought Bilsteins from Summit. Several places that I tried said back order, I even had an order with a company that said they were on national back order for more than a month and a half. found out Summit had them and they match the price and I had them in less than a week. Might try them. :w
Thanks Tom! I'll look into it. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom