Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shocks

RV Guy

Corvette
1986 Silver/Gray Coupe
What are the stock shocks for an '86 with Z51? When I bought my Vette a couple of years ago it had some replacement shocks that had been purchased at a tire store.

What would I expect to gain by going back to the stock shocks?

Are there other aftermarket shocks I should consider and what would I gain with them?

Thanks

my 1986 vette had (FG3) with mean Bilstein shocks.
so you pretty much have to look for the code on your vettes sticker thats between the rear cargo compartment doors.
hope this helps.

tigmaned said:
my 1986 vette had (FG3) with mean Bilstein shocks.
so you pretty much have to look for the code on your vettes sticker thats between the rear cargo compartment doors.
hope this helps.

Yep, your right, I haave the FE3, bilstein shocks code, also. So what would I expect if I went back to the Bilsteins over the generics that I have now?

Thanks

not sure? i put KYB shocks on mine. they cost me $110 for a set of 4, were the Bilsteins are about $280 a set.

You can order the Bilstein Sport shocks from VBP. According to Vette Brakes Products, the Sport shocks are slightly better than the OE shock. I don't know about that, since my Z51 had "junk" shocks on it when I got it. But the Bilsteins make this car handle like it's on a rail. If you've got the extra $$, order the polyurathane bushings kit for your car.

I've got the Z52 and I'm thinking about going with KYB. I'm not willing to spend the money for Bilsteins. They're almost $80 a shock!

Can anybody comment on the ride and handling difference between the Bilstein and the KYB shocks?

Thanks

Edmond said:
I've got the Z52 and I'm thinking about going with KYB. I'm not willing to spend the money for Bilsteins. They're almost $80 a shock!

When I ordered mine from VBP I asked them if they would match a competitors price, which they did. And they gave me a 10% discount for being a corvette club member.

Seems like I paid $240-$250 for a set of four.

Chickenjerk said:
When I ordered mine from VBP I asked them if they would match a competitors price, which they did. And they gave me a 10% discount for being a corvette club member.

Seems like I paid $240-$250 for a set of four.

I forgot that they gave us discounts. :D

I'm going with KYB's and all poly bushings this winter. I hope to firm the ride up a little bit. We'll see what happens. I know that one of my shocks is leaking so it's done.

Take a look at the TOKICO shocks. Top notch shock that I put on my 96 LT4 and they easily outperformed the Bilstein's that I took off. These shocks are used by a lot of SCCA vehicles.This is a high end set of shocks going for about 275.00 but well worth it. You spend a lot of time in the drivers seat and nothings worse than a bad ride.....get the good stuff and you will be happier in the long run....

edmond
not sure what poly bushings your going with, but have you ever heard of p-s-t. they sell some that i used on my C3 a few years back and they don't squeak, and made a world of diff in my C3's handling. they sell the whole set of all rear bushings for C4's for $90 bucks, i will be getting them for mine when temps warm back up??. and they sell KYB's. but i got my KYB's off and seller on this site for $120 shipped.
ED

96vetteLT4 said:
Take a look at the TOKICO shocks. Top notch shock that I put on my 96 LT4 and they easily outperformed the Bilstein's that I took off. These shocks are used by a lot of SCCA vehicles.This is a high end set of shocks going for about 275.00 but well worth it. You spend a lot of time in the drivers seat and nothings worse than a bad ride.....get the good stuff and you will be happier in the long run....

Agree with you on Tokico shocks. I tried a set on my '85 shop car (Project Blackbird) and the difference in ride and handling was noticable. I can recommend them to anybody and it's one of my "preferred" lines.

I recently put Bilsteins on mt 87 vert and cannot feel any difference from the old Bilsteins. Question: How many miles before the shocks take a "set" so to speak.

Ed,

I might end up going with the VB&P set. They have quite a lot of stuff there and I want all of it! :L

Edmond said:

:upthumbs
That's the way I went and have no complaints !

Corvette-Pilot said:
:upthumbs
That's the way I went and have no complaints !

I don't know if it's just my lack of knowledge before but it seems like there are more and more products out now. Instead of having to go back with the high (in my opinion, overpriced) items like Goodyear or Bilstein or whatever, we have choices like KYB and Kumho, etc...

Those are good products as well. They may not be "name brand" like the other ones but if they work well, their brand doesn't matter at all.

Hey, I think a good idea for GM would be to beef up their parts sales. They surely have to lose out a lot to the Pep Boys, Murrays, Advanced, etc... I really wouldn't mind having certain parts Delco but I'm not going to pay the outrageous prices for them.

Edmond said:
I don't know if it's just my lack of knowledge before but it seems like there are more and more products out now. Instead of having to go back with the high (in my opinion, overpriced) items like Goodyear or Bilstein or whatever, we have choices like KYB and Kumho, etc...

Those are good products as well. They may not be "name brand" like the other ones but if they work well, their brand doesn't matter at all.

Hey, I think a good idea for GM would be to beef up their parts sales. They surely have to lose out a lot to the Pep Boys, Murrays, Advanced, etc... I really wouldn't mind having certain parts Delco but I'm not going to pay the outrageous prices for them.

This is exactly correct, and we are all MUCH better off for it! On Delco stuff, try GMPartsDirect.com for steep discounts. Many times when there are tire or shock absorber threads I like to ask whether anyone has tried something other than the stock brands (e.g. Bilsteins for shocks and Goodyears for tires, etc etc). I used the Tokico adjustable struts/shocks on my old '87 IROC-Z, and they were much better than the Bilsteins. One thing I am investigating now is a TOYO tire (Proxes T-1, I think it's called), the NITTO 555 and several other brands. Some of this increased product scope is attributable to the tuner cars street scene---that's where all the fun hot rodding type action is today. The traditional "muscle car" folks are all into the auction scene, making the world's best '67 Dodge Dart and really idiotic things, like Jay Leno and his 1000 horsepower Toronados and things like that. I think it's a generational thing.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Chris,

I just went to the site. They do have very good prices on the parts but the concept of combined shipping seems to escape them. They wanted to charge individually for each and every part. :L

EGR valve was something like $43 but they wanted $10 to ship it!

Yeah, it is strange, but look at the bottom line: If, weird shipping rate included, it's still less than most people would charge (with or without a shipping rate), then what the heck? From some of the invoices I have received, it appears that a place called "Flow Chevrolet" in Winston Salem, North Carolina, runs this operation. I think they build in a handling charge into their shipping charge. Why not just include the handling charge in the basic price and charge a more routine shipping rate? Or charge a separate handling charge and a normal shipping charge? Good questions, but perhaps for some reason the service wouldn't exist at all if they didn't do this like they do. Hmmm....

/s/ Chris Kennedy

I'll bet the money is really in their shipping charges since they would combine it anyway. Looks like I'll keep searching for other sources of Delco electronic items. I think my alternator is shot so I'm going with the updated one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom