Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shopping for a 2010 Corvette - new member looking for advice

JOHNDU

I've been a member for quite a few years and now that I'm retiring at the end of the year I'm thinking (been planning for four years) of buying a 2010 base convertible. I have a few questions if anyone can help I would appreciate it.
I live in New Jersey and will be using the car as a daily driver, how do they handle in the rain and light snow?
I see that Mid America Motorworks has chrome wheels for $1000, does anyone know how they compare to Chevy's $1800 upgrade?
Does anyone know of a company that makes replacement tops in colors other then the 3 options Chevy has? I would like a white top on the magnetic red body.
Thanks for your help guys.

Johndu,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center and welcome to the world of Corvettes!! Your life will not be the same!

To answer your first question, Corvettes do not handle well in the rain and snow so if you can get yourself a "beater" for the winter, your car will remain in good condition and your drives will be safer.

I can't say how much better or worse the after-market chrome wheels are as compared to GM's. I have after-market chrome on my '05, and they're still in great condition after 2-1/2 years. I think taking care of the wheels (wiping them down after each drive) contributes to how well they last.

Replacement tops do not come cheap, and I don't know of a company that specializes in them. I would guess one would be in the vicinity of $1,000 +/- (uninstalled) and more if a power top.

Good luck in your Corvette search...and let us know how you make out!!

Oh, one more thing...Magnetic Red is no longer made. Crystal Red is the new color.

Elaine

Glad to see you're posting, John - always good to hear from members! I'm not certain your post will receive many more replies such as Elaine posted. If you'd like, I can move the thread to the C6 forum or leave it here... your call. Let me know if you want it moved.

Congrats on your pending retirement and decision to buy your first Corvette!
:wJane Ann

Glad to see you're posting, John - always good to hear from members! I'm not certain your post will receive many more replies such as Elaine posted. If you'd like, I can move the thread to the C6 forum or leave it here... your call. Let me know if you want it moved.

Congrats on your pending retirement and decision to buy your first Corvette!

Thank you Jane Ann & yes, please move it to the C6 forum. I was wondering if I was in the right forum with the questions.
Thanks again
John

Hope you find the right C6 for you!! Beautiful cars!

Thank you Jane Ann & yes, please move it to the C6 forum. I was wondering if I was in the right forum with the questions.
Thanks again
John

Done!!

AH,a C6 vert I love mine .The basic vert will not have a power top and thats good .The manual top is very easy to get up and down .The power top takes up half of your trunk space.The first thing I did do was have GM Junkie put a clear bra on it .It will be a must on Crystal red (good choice ) .I might say with the cloth top white will be a real pain to keep up with (but it'll be sharp).Light interior will be important if it's a vert .

Hey I'm excited for ya.:D

AH,a C6 vert I love mine .The basic vert will not have a power top and thats good .The manual top is very easy to get up and down .The power top takes up half of your trunk space.The first thing I did do was have GM Junkie put a clear bra on it .It will be a must on Crystal red (good choice ) .I might say with the cloth top white will be a real pain to keep up with (but it'll be sharp).Light interior will be important if it's a vert .

Hey I'm excited for ya.:D

I agree about the power top vs. manual top. Actually, the top is easy to put up or down...and much faster than the power top. I must differ with Vette Boy, though...the power top doesn't take up THAT much more than a non-power top.

A white top is always vinyl and is extremely easy to care for. My '96 Grand Sport convertible had one, and the '02 we have now also has a white vinyl top. They're actually easier to maintain than the oak or cashmere fabric tops.

Elaine

Both worlds?

Just a thought or two. If you really want a white top and are going to drive it in the winter take a look at http://www.smoothline.com/corvette_c6.php You could use it in the colder months and when it’s warm your unwanted color should be down and hidden. It should be warmer and a bit quieter plus you can retain the rear window defogger.

As for driving it in the winter as long as you are aware of what wide tires do for you in rain and light snow it should be no problem. Much cheaper than supporting a beater to take a cab on the days it would be unreasonable to drive your Corvette. Yes, I tend to drive it all year and have seen some bad storms, the worst was in Tennessee, see attached.

Good luck and enjoy :thumb

I've been a member for quite a few years and now that I'm retiring at the end of the year I'm thinking (been planning for four years) of buying a 2010 base convertible. I have a few questions if anyone can help I would appreciate it.
I live in New Jersey and will be using the car as a daily driver, how do they handle in the rain and light snow?
I see that Mid America Motorworks has chrome wheels for $1000, does anyone know how they compare to Chevy's $1800 upgrade?
Does anyone know of a company that makes replacement tops in colors other then the 3 options Chevy has? I would like a white top on the magnetic red body.
Thanks for your help guys.

i have done a ton of research on this subject and i want to share one thing....
stock is worth more bucks in the long run..
older corvettes that are all origional are worth more money than ones with headders, chips, and aftermarket wheels....
the traction control and stabilizer should take care of you in the snow....:w

My wife and I drive both our C6's in the rain and sometimes in the snow/ice we get here in Oklahoma. We don't get a lot of snow/ice here but it tends to hit us once or twice a year. The wive's coupe is her daily driver so it has to take her back and forth. The convertible hasn't seen much in the way of snow/ice yet but our CTS-V has.

The base or F55 (MagRide) cars come with the GY GS2 tires and I have found them to be good in the rain and snow/ice - okay, "acceptable" is a better word that good for snow/ice driving. Basically, the Vette gets me home if it starts snowing or turning into ice around here and once home, we usually stay home.

On snow/ice, I think our automatic coupe is better than the stick shift convertible and I use the paddle shift mode on ice so I can shift when I want and start in second gear. Don't get me wrong, the stick shift works in the snow/ice also but it seems easier to spin the tires in first or second gear. (I had better luck in the ice with my CTS-V since it has 3.73 gears.)

If you can afford a 'beater' for winter driving, you'll probably be better off but the Vette with the right tires will get you home.

I agree about the power top vs. manual top. Actually, the top is easy to put up or down...and much faster than the power top. I must differ with Vette Boy, though...the power top doesn't take up THAT much more than a non-power top.

Elaine
Oh ya ,I can't get both my walker and oxygen tank back there like I could on my 03 vert.:D

Oh ya ,I can't get both my walker and oxygen tank back there like I could on my 03 vert.:D

Ahhhh...you're talking about a whole different thing when you compare a C5 and a C6 trunk!! I only referred to the C6 manual and power tops! ;)

Elaine

New Vette

John, dude...

Not sure of your situation but if you can swing it - try to order your new Vette and then go to the plant in Bowling Green to pick it up! That will make the experience collosal - you'll be treated like royalty, have a blast and I'm pretty sure you'll never want to run it in winter afterwards!

Best wishes on your good taste :upthumbs

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I knew you would be a wealth of knowledge and you didn't prove me wrong. I had considered a S5 Audi and Cadillac CTS-V, but with your help, you've reinsured me that the Vett is the way to go.
Thanks again for the best wishes and info.
John

Corvette for good weather~
Trailblazer for bad driving conditions.
With the introduction of the "GS" series in 2010, the "base" car can be had for $12,000 off because nobody wants 'em. Remember this when it's time to get rid it.

John, dude...

Not sure of your situation but if you can swing it - try to order your new Vette and then go to the plant in Bowling Green to pick it up! That will make the experience collosal - you'll be treated like royalty, have a blast and I'm pretty sure you'll never want to run it in winter afterwards!

Best wishes on your good taste :upthumbs

It's a valid suggestion .I'd do the museum delivery then head to Key West on my way home to NJ .But thats just me.;LOLOh and forget to tell the wife.;)

Welcome JOHNDU to Corvette Action Center; glad you have joined us.

Bill

I have driven several Corvettes over decades nearly every day of the year through rain, sleet, snow, ice, and even salt. That's Chicago weather. I have this absolutely fantastic car to drive -- not to peek at in the garage and wish my life away waiting for spring.

The base suspension and F55 come with GY tires that do OK in cold and slippery weather IF you drive wisely. So on snowy days, don't pretend it's summer; just drive like it's winter. Make winter driving another fun experience. Just don't push past the laws of physics. Make that the fun of the winter driving experience.

I wash the salt off when I can.

The $1,800 optional chrome wheels survived perfectly well through two winters' salt with no more than a rinse when the weather warms enough. I waxed them in late fall.

Get your Corvette, drive it, take reasonable care of it, and it will last forever.

Life is for the living. Live your life... and enjoy your Corvette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom