Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shorting pins A and B results in cooling fans on. Normal?

gehirin

Corvette
Hi all, trying to troubleshoot a crank and no start issue with my '93. I shorted A and B on the ALDL. Turned the key to the RUN/ON position (not the start position) and immediately the cooling fan turned on. I turned the key off since I didn't know if this was normal. Is this what happens when you short A and B when trying to get the flashing codes? Never tried this before.

Thanks for any help.

Tony

I did this a few times and I believe my aux fan came on. Never worried about it though cause upon restart, it was off till the car called for it to be on (my car 228°). I just did all my heater hoses on my car, what a fiasco as some parts were wrong, about 5 or 6 hoses. Anyway, living in Florida, never use the heat in the car however in test the hoses on a cool day here, around 62°, turned the heater on and the aux fan turned on as well? I didn't think was normal but it must be since as soon as I turn off the heat, the aux fan stops. I used AUTO and put the increment up to around 80°, maybe because of the auto position it did this.

The cooling fan will go on when you short A and B then turn on ignition. This had me worried the first time I checked the ALDL. All will be OK when you remove the short key.

Shorting A&B energizes all ECM controlled relays and solenoids except fuel pump. The little B4P boost fan on 84-90 is NOT ECM controlled.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom