Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shorty hedders for 1990 L98

Greg Albers

Corvette
1990 Coup Blk/Blk
Looking for a set of shorty hedders for L98. Cannot find new ones. Anyone know of a company that makes them or have a set for sale?

I know they're made for the LT1 and LT4 cars but I'm not sure about the L98 cars.

Actually, if you're going to go with headers, you should go with long tubes. If that's not in the budget, you could probably get some gains with the front y-pipe that does not have the pup cats on them.

Shorty headers aren't going to give you much, they're basically cleaned up exhaust manifolds.

I know they're made for the LT1 and LT4 cars but I'm not sure about the L98 cars.

Actually, if you're going to go with headers, you should go with long tubes. If that's not in the budget, you could probably get some gains with the front y-pipe that does not have the pup cats on them.

Shorty headers aren't going to give you much, they're basically cleaned up exhaust manifolds.

I'm in the Great Green North of BC, so emissions is huge, hence the small gains of shorties + ditching my ratty old manifolds would be cool in itself. I've looked pretty hard for l98 shorties with no success so far.

Agreed. My TPIS longtubes have all the emissions tubing on them. I don't think the gains of shorty headers are worth it for the HP gain, but I could be wrong.

Agreed. My TPIS longtubes have all the emissions tubing on them. I don't think the gains of shorty headers are worth it for the HP gain, but I could be wrong.

I suppose it would come down to how much the shorties cost, as that tpis setup looks like it runs about $1000...also, I don't know if we're allowed to eliminate the front Y-pipe mini-cats here...thought I had to keep them. Have to check that out.

I'm in the Great Green North of BC, so emissions is huge, hence the small gains of shorties + ditching my ratty old manifolds would be cool in itself. I've looked pretty hard for l98 shorties with no success so far.

In reality, the small cats don't really do that much in the big picture. If your car is tuned well and the main cat is still able, you will pass emissions with headers. That's assuming that you do not have the visual inspection check.

In reality, the small cats don't really do that much in the big picture. If your car is tuned well and the main cat is still able, you will pass emissions with headers. That's assuming that you do not have the visual inspection check.

I'm pretty sure they stick a mirror under the car and the whole works, but I'm not sure if they would mind as long as the main cat's there. Have to check tomorrow....

Damn. Another tasty item to my wish list...

I think the TPIS headers are about $800 or so. An alternative are the Hooker headers. They cost a little less, I think about $600 but the y-pipe is separate for somewhere around $150 or so. I guess that pretty much makes it the same price.

But I have read stories about how easy it was for people to install the TPIS system. Haven't read much about installation ease on the Hookers, though.

Also, don't know if you knew this or not but I'll throw it out there. On a stock L98 muffler, only one of the outlets actually flows. Once you get a performance exhaust system, an 8-12 HP gain isn't that unusual because the stock system has so much backpressure.

I think the TPIS headers are about $800 or so. An alternative are the Hooker headers. They cost a little less, I think about $600 but the y-pipe is separate for somewhere around $150 or so. I guess that pretty much makes it the same price.

But I have read stories about how easy it was for people to install the TPIS system. Haven't read much about installation ease on the Hookers, though.

Also, don't know if you knew this or not but I'll throw it out there. On a stock L98 muffler, only one of the outlets actually flows. Once you get a performance exhaust system, an 8-12 HP gain isn't that unusual because the stock system has so much backpressure.

Heard the same good stuff about the TPIS install, will go for that one if/when doable. As for exhaust, I've got a pair of brand new Magnaflows waiting to go on!

:)

Yeah I need a good catback exhaust, but I can't afford it :cry.

I think the Magnaflow is somewhere in the mid $300's. Of course, you can always comb the for sale ads, plenty of guys ditch their exhaust systems for cheap because they don't like the sound.

I think the Magnaflow is somewhere in the mid $300's. Of course, you can always comb the for sale ads, plenty of guys ditch their exhaust systems for cheap because they don't like the sound.

Wow, thats not to bad. I am running straight exhaust now, so I don't know about the sound. I really do like the way it sounds now so I hope I don't get much change in it.

...If your car is tuned well and the main cat is still able, you will pass emissions with headers...

Whenever emissions + headers is discussed I always hear that but my experience has been very different. I just barely passed with headers on an otherwise stock motor, no pre-cats and stock main cat. Everything related to emissions/tune was replaced with new and verified to be functioning properly by 3 different shops on multiple occasions. TPIS headers with emissions on a stock 59,000 mile motor that never burned a drop of oil. Go figure.

Whenever emissions + headers is discussed I always hear that but my experience has been very different. I just barely passed with headers on an otherwise stock motor, no pre-cats and stock main cat. Everything related to emissions/tune was replaced with new and verified to be functioning properly by 3 different shops on multiple occasions. TPIS headers with emissions on a stock 59,000 mile motor that never burned a drop of oil. Go figure.

Good info, thanks!

How hot was the car? I hardly doubt my car would pass emissions. Why? Because it runs about 180 for water temp and oil temp. I have heard you need it well over 200 to "better" your chances of passing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom