Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Should Corvette Become its own Brand?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
An interesting commentary at AutoExtremist has been posted about how Corvette should become its own brand. What do you think?

http://www.autoextremist.com/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think it already is. But Chevrolet and Corvette are synonymous.

Since it's been years since the word Chevy or Chevrolet could be found on the Vette, it seems like GM is halfway there, although they deny it.

I don't think Chevy dealers should lose the Vette, but I'd like to see other GM branded dealers having the opportunity to sell the brand. I have had great overall dealer experiences at several Caddy dealerships through the years, and it would be great to have one of them as my Vette's home.

The bad news is that my local dealership includes both brands, so it wouldn't make any difference at this point.:chuckle

15zl65x.gif

I think it already is. But Chevrolet and Corvette are synonymous.

I agree with this. The less scripts on the vette makes it cleaner. Chevrolet does not need to put their badge name on it.
If someone doesn't know the Corvette is made by Chevrolet, they probably are still in diapers.
:)

Joe

By the way the Chevy marketed the new C7 all the way up to the actual show, it sure does seem like it, but I seriously doubt that will even happen. Every manufacture needs a flagship. :)

Nope, I like telling people that I drive a Chevy and when the person asks what kind of Chevy the look I get when I say Corvette is usually priceless. I am very happy with things just the way they are.

My dealer is also a Caddy dealer so I get Caddy level service there.

RWW​

My first shocked look

Nope, I like telling people that I drive a Chevy and when the person asks what kind of Chevy the look I get when I say Corvette is usually priceless. I am very happy with things just the way they are.

My dealer is also a Caddy dealer so I get Caddy level service there.

RWW​
My fist shocked look came in 1967. I was twenty years old, i told my uncle i had just bought a new chevy. He asked what kind and i said a 67 corvette drop top with a 427 engine. He just about fell down, my second look was when i told him i bought it cash for 5,200 dollars.

My fist shocked look came in 1967. I was twenty years old, i told my uncle i had just bought a new chevy. He asked what kind and i said a 67 corvette drop top with a 427 engine. He just about fell down, my second look was when i told him i bought it cash for 5,200 dollars.

You know exactly what my post was about! :)

RWW

I vote "yes". It might help to provide more identity continuity for the car throughout its lifetime...

...If someone doesn't know the Corvette is made by Chevrolet, they probably are still in diapers.
:)

Joe

When they answer the phone at the plant in Bowling Green, they say "Corvette", not "Chevrolet". The only corporate logos you'll find there say "GM". The argument could easily be made that the car is now built by GM, not Chevrolet, and that its only current connection to Chevrolet is purely for marketing purposes. Somewhere along the line, it appears that the Corvette kind of went corporate...sort of like back when the engines all went corporate. GM probably won't ever officially go through the trouble and expense that it would take to formally make Corvette a separate division...especially in the new industry climate of "less is more", but it's halfway there anyway.

I vote "yes". It might help to provide more identity continuity for the car throughout its lifetime...

When they answer the phone at the plant in Bowling Green, they say "Corvette", not "Chevrolet". The only corporate logos you'll find there say "GM". The argument could easily be made that the car is now built by GM, not Chevrolet, and that its only current connection to Chevrolet is purely for marketing purposes. Somewhere along the line, it appears that the Corvette kind of went corporate...sort of like back when the engines all went corporate. GM probably won't ever officially go through the trouble and expense that it would take to formally make Corvette a separate division...especially in the new industry climate of "less is more", but it's halfway there anyway.

Go ask Bill Stasek or Kerbeck what they think.

Actually, from their perspective, I'm curious what they would say?

Me too. Chevy is in a strange position right now in that six, or so dealers sell the majority of the Vettes produced. It's a weird dynamic that GM has caused by the allocation system. They have announced an allocation system for the C7 that perpetuates a system that almost eliminates most "hometown" dealers from offering more than a couple units a year. And they wonder why there isn't a Corvette buzz across the country like there used to be. I'd GUESS that most Chevy dealers don't have a Vette in stock at any given time, although I don't have the numbers. If Chevy wants a Vette buzz, let Lund, Potamkin Caddy, and some other GM premium dealers have a crack at the brand.

I'd give anything to see how many Vettes the top six or eight dealers sold for model year 2012.

Me too. Chevy is in a strange position right now in that six, or so dealers sell the majority of the Vettes produced. It's a weird dynamic that GM has caused by the allocation system. They have announced an allocation system for the C7 that perpetuates a system that almost eliminates most "hometown" dealers from offering more than a couple units a year. And they wonder why there isn't a Corvette buzz across the country like there used to be. I'd GUESS that most Chevy dealers don't have a Vette in stock at any given time, although I don't have the numbers. If Chevy wants a Vette buzz, let Lund, Potamkin Caddy, and some other GM premium dealers have a crack at the brand.

I'd give anything to see how many Vettes the top six or eight dealers sold for model year 2012.
I will have an answer/information on this in my upcoming review article on the C7...

it's an interesting proposition, but I still like the "value for the money" market positioning. It's bragging rights! When Chrysler started the "SRT" brand, I lamented the loss of the DODGE Viper. Each of those SRT cars has styling that links to Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, which adds panache to those makes. I absolutely don't like saying "I've got an SRT" - emotional reaction, I know.

It works for AMG owners. Perhaps we just need to give SRT a while to establish...

Actually, from their perspective, I'm curious what they would say?

Really. They're bound to know more about the in-the-trenches marketing of the Corvette than GM does...

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom