Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Side Exhaust ? Pros vs. Cons

timme69680

Corvette
1974 Stingray
As I build up from the frame I am at one of those points that I don't know if I want to go stock or branch out a bit with the exhaust. I have already upgraded the front suspension to tubular a-arms and coilover springs. I added a rear sway bar and fiberglass spring in the rear. So I am not 100% stock but I have not made any major modifications.

I have hooker headers that my dad added to the car back in 92' but they are pretty nasty, if I keep them I will have to send them off to get ceramic coated or something to clean them up.

What do sidepipes buy you, other than the obvious they look and sound bad ass. What other things should I consider? Any opinions are welcome.

I was looking at these: http://www.holley.com/2234HKR.asp

Not sure why hooker doesn't have the images but Mid America Does. Anyway here are the sidepipes with a full view:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-4-36-6009.html

These covers for burn resistance (a must have in my opinion):
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-4-36-8158.html

It is a lot of cash but I really like the way it looks. I am looking for what else it buys me to justify the roughly 2000.00 dollars.

Take a look at my car to get an idea of the look I am going for.

http://web.mac.com/timmetim/TimmesWorld/Timmes_Vette/Timmes_Vette.html

IMO, side pipes buy you just that. "Good Looks". You can install a descent exhaust that will still give you that great muscle car sound like a chambered exhaust setup. Don't get me wrong, side pipes are cool but I would invest the money where it is needed most for your restoration project. And your not going to see much, if any, performance improvement. I am currently doing a Top-End Rebuild and I had no idea it was going to be this expensive so I've learned to spend what money I have for my project to what I need the most and , of course, apply common sense. Also, it has helped to have my Wife on board with this...LOL...

Jeff thanks for the input. I too have a wife that is just awesome about this kind of stuff. The day I set the motor back on the frame with it painted, endurashine intake, she was like that is freaking awesome... .she did ask how much it cost but at least she didn't give me any grief :) She keeps saying something crazy about wanting to drive it when it's done, i don't know where she heard that....

Seriously, I think your advice is very practical. Like I said I already have some nice hooker headers... there dirty and need refinished but that only costs me a couple of hundred. In terms of the rest of the exhaust I could probably get by with performance mufflers as you mentioned, hangers, and stainless tubes for 500.00 - 700.00 a total savings of about 800.00 dollars. I agree that money could be spent on any number of things at this point.

Thanks for the info, good advice.

Sidepipes are more of an emotional decision from my perspective. I just love the way they look so I had to put them on my car. They sound great. Corvettes really work with the sidepipes. Some people hate them and that's ok too.

The covers you show above are the same ones I put on the car. They work well and add a nice touch. Spiral turbo baffles for muffler inserts give a great sound.

My wife is one of the good one's too. She supports my hobby and never gives me a hard time about the Vette. The best advice I can give you is that you've gone this far and put all this effort into the car, go with what you like and makes you happy. You have to be careful with money but putting it into something you like will pay you back in smiles later.

Good luck. You're Vette is looking great.

:beer

There is one draw back to the side pipes and it was the deciding factor for me. Here is what I know would happen if I put them on. Every time my lady got in the car I would have to tell her to be carefull they are hot and you can get burned. I would tell her this every time. But the one time I didn't tell her. She would get burned and it would be my fault.

There is one draw back to the side pipes and it was the deciding factor for me. Here is what I know would happen if I put them on. Every time my lady got in the car I would have to tell her to be carefull they are hot and you can get burned. I would tell her this every time. But the one time I didn't tell her. She would get burned and it would be my fault.
Yeah same for me. I have thought about them but figure either my wife would get burned or worse, i would.LOL

Personally... I love side exhaust on Vettes.

I've owned two Vettes with side pipes and a C5 in between them.

For all of the refinement, all of the power, technology, creature comforts you get on the C5... I went back to the C3s with an uncivilized exhaust.

The C5 is a great second Vette. However, the C3 will always be my favorite.

I have a couple of video clips on listed in my signature where you can listen to my '69 style pipes. Not exactly like the header side pipes... but you get the idea what it sounds like all the same.

I had the 69 style sidepipes on my 72 vert when I rebuilt the engine into a 383 stroker. It was about 495hp but with the sidepipes there was this horrible drone btn 55 - 70 mph. So I had to drive either above 70 or below 55 :L. I removed the sidepipes and went with Ultraflows - more power, great sound, no worries about ankle burns and I can cruise at whatever speed I want with no drones. But I did luv the look!!

how true

I had factory side exhausts on my 66 427 vert that I purchased new in fall of 1966. Absolutely loved them on the car, the sound with the top down was great. Bought the corvette 3 years before I met my wife. She disliked the loudness, but would ride in it as she was very tolerant. If one cannot share the corvette you love with the one you love due to the noise, there are only two practical solutions. Remove the side pipes, or buy a second corvette without them. I chose the latter. We took our rides together in a 1966 427 coupe without side pipes and I drove solo in the vert with the side pipes. She loves riding in our 2002 coupe, but if the exhausts were loud, I'm sure she would have second thoughts. So I keep it quite and we enjoy our rides together. As long as she is happy with the vettes, then I get to keep them, and she is happy with both of our corvettes. She has expressed a desire to ride in the 1994 convertible with the top down, but will hear the exhausts, though not loud, as they are louder than the 02. Previously she has only ridden in the 94 with the soft top up or the hard top on the car with no comments on the exhaust. So, my advice is chose the option you want, just be considerate of your significant other.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom