Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sill plate removal 1984

Heyblue

Corvette
I want to remove the sill plates so I can paint them, changing color scheme. There looks like there might have been 3 screws on the outside (door side) that are missing, then there are two more screws on the section that goes up the jam towads the roof. The top section seems free, however the section along the sill seems to be held in place. I can pull the bottom of each side outwards but not up. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is glued down???? Any help would be appreciated. At $260 each I hate to risk breaking them.

I want to remove the sill plates so I can paint them, changing color scheme. There looks like there might have been 3 screws on the outside (door side) that are missing, then there are two more screws on the section that goes up the jam towads the roof. The top section seems free, however the section along the sill seems to be held in place. I can pull the bottom of each side outwards but not up. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is glued down???? Any help would be appreciated. At $260 each I hate to risk breaking them.

You are right it is glued down make sure all screws are removed including one's holding the brake lever cover, you may want to remove the seat bottom from track since you are changing the hard plastic color anyway.

So once you are sure that you have all screws removed hopefully it's not too cold were you are but with constant even increasing pressure starting in the rear pull upward, don't rush it. the thing that is holding it down is under the top of sill there is a layer of a rubber tar like sealant. so just take your time and try to do it with care in a warm area 70 deg. plus

Do Not pry up with screwdriver. and try NOT to bend the sides outward keep them Parallel to each other as you come up, and take your time it's not a race. Take great care in protecting the area above the brake lever area they tend to like to crack in that area so as it releases in the back work your way forward NOT allowing it warp into a arch shape

Last edited:
Thanks Forrest, After some gentle coaxing once it stater to move it was easy. Did remove the seat on driver side to get at the emergency break cover.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom