Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Simple mods for better performance?

Vettepirate

Corvette
2002 Blue z06
Hi folks, i just bought a 2002 z06 not 2 months ago and im definately satisfied with it. It beats the hell out of driving what my parents have! Sadly, I cant drive it for the winter, its only been in storage for 2 weeks and I already miss it. The summer will just be that much better though :D

To the point. Im thinking if anyone could enlighten me on what i could do to increase my performance. Ive looked over various things, and the cheapest and easiest appears to be the air filter, K&N seems to have a good reputation, in any case i think i need to get better than my stock filter.

Ive also thought about a Borla Stinger exhaust. Im not too sure what that could do performance-wise, but i think the car could use a more agressive sound. Ive never heard a Vette with after-market mufflers though, so im unsure what to expect, I dont want my car to sound like a choked up snowblower.

Those are just about the only two things im aware of that wouldnt require excessive labour which would probably cost me as much as the parts themselves. If anybody can suggest anything more, id be grateful, cause im not sure where to go from here.

-Thanks

Pirate,
First of all, welcome to the CAC! And congrats on your recent acquisition! We have a number of Canadian members here, so you're definately in good company.

You're certainly on the right track with the ideas for performance increase. Helping these engines breathe is one of the best things you can do for them. Many of the folks here have gone with a Veraram installation, over the K&N air filter. Do a search, and you'll find lots of threads discussing this.

At the other end, aftermarket exhausts will also help in the HP increase department, too. I have a Borla Stinger on my Z06, and I love the sound. Both the air intake and the exhaust upgrade are fairly easy mods to get done, and you should realize a decent pick up in horsepower.

The biggest issue you're going to have in doing these upgrades is deciding which direction to go: Borla vs. Corsa exhaust, for example. You'll get lots of advocates on either side of that debate. In the end, I think it will come down to personal preference as they're both very good systems. If you visit their websites, I believe you can listen to some sound clips on what their exhaust systems sound like, and that may help your decision.

For now- happy shopping! And don't forget to wave!

:w

-Patrick

There's not going to be much performance change with just a oiled-cotton air filter elemet. Where you will see an improvement is if you change the entire "air box".

The stock Z06 exhaust is freeflowing and great sounding but if you want something louder, those Borla Stingers will do the trick for sure, but I doubt you'll see a significant performance increase.

Beyond intake and exhaust, to get additional practical improvment, even with bolt-ons, you need to be willing to pay more.

Headers can be of value.

Crane's Quick-Lift 1.8 rocker arm conversion, as profiled in last August's "Corvette Enthusaist" magazine is a good choice.

Once you go to headers and rockers, recalibration of the engine computer is a good idea, too.

Thanks guys. I chose this site because i thought it wasnt as cluttered as some of the other websites ive seen. Nice and tidy does the trick.

Ive read up about the VR-B2 and it sounds good. Not too expensive, seems easy enough for a non-mechanic like me to install as well. I guess I should still get something better than a stock filter though?

One thing that worries me is trying to install something, thinking i did it right, and actually just destroying my car over the long run without realising it. That and the insurance hiking up my rate :ugh. Is it easy to screw up with these kinds of mods?

All in good time ill say. My car is due for some minor body work because some idiot backed into my front bumper. Damage isnt too visible unless youre about 2 feet away, but its still a bummer and id definately like that fixed in time for the weekly car show at the mall.

I have a VaraRam installed on my Z06. They advertise 0.3 seconds and 3 MPH improvement in the quarter mile. I believe that I got that from the VaraRam. The system is not without risk, however. It will happily ingest water from a deep puddle, resulting in catastrophic engine damage. I have driven mine in very heavy rain without difficulty. The documented cases of hydrolock appear to be when the car is driven into water deep enough to submerge the intake. The filter element is also a bit suspect, especially the older ones.

Chevy did not leave much "low hanging fruit" with the 'Vette. Changing the air box and adding a different cat-back exhaust will not gain more than a few horsepower. Long tube headers and free-flowing cats can gain some more. But to get any major gains, head/cam or forced induction are needed.

Just my $0.02

If I were looking for inexpensive mods? I'd suggest a simple filter on the maf end...or shop the various forums "used parts sections for an intake...

Make sure it fits the 2001 or newer maf end...

Then I'd probably do a set of american brand racing headers..1800 installed and tuned.

and thats it...

Quite honestly the 2002 Z06 is a such a great car from GM..I'd suggest leaving it alone.

Mods. are like a snowball. You might start out small, but then the thirst for power takes control and it only gets bigger and bigger. :eek
The old addage: ("If I only knew then what I know now.") I would have just installed a Stage II P1SC Procharger and called it a day. I would have saved alot of money and ended up with +100hp extra. :crazy

Mods are addictive

That is true. Modding these cars is VERY addictive. However, a basic CAI from the mfctr of your choice is a good start.

On 2002-04 Z06's the stock exhaust is quite good. I'd say only change that if you're looking for a louder exhaust note.

Headers, the CAI and a good dyno tune is good for as much as 30 hp gain and you get the added benefit of having CAGS disabled the right way and clean WOT air fuel parameters. You could stop there, but if not this is a great basis for building more hp at a later date (cam/heads and/or blower) while being forward compatible.

Good luck!

PS -- Oh yeah, don't mess with your MAF. GM did a great job on the stock one! ;)

The Real Deal

Take the car to Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.
It's clean, proefessional, cost effective work and you
get honest (measurable) horse power gains.
Remo:cool
attachment.php

Small shops can offer good value too!

The big names in this industry will provide good service, no question about it. They all have years of experience and have reputations to protect. However, there are many up and coming shops that deserve a chance. Their budgets may not be as large, but their attention to customer service and value may make you feel like you are their very best customer. After that, parts are just parts.

If you're still reading this thread, vettepirate, and you're considering small modifications, then consider doing them yourself. Half the fun may be sourcing the parts you decided to pursue. The other half may be in learning what exactly is involved in modding your Z06.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom